The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to Forum Just bought my Dad's old 68 442

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM

New to Forum Just bought my Dad's old 68 442

Hello y'all, I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself and share a great story with y'all.

A lil over a month ago an ole High School friend sent me a message on facebook saying he thought he'd saw my Dad's old car for sale. I messaged him back and asked where he saw it and asked for details on price, phone#, etc. He told me where he saw it and sent me a pic from his phone and I could tell right off it was the ole mans car. My buddy did'nt get close enough to get a # or price but said he'd stop on his way to work to find out. A coupla days later he texted me the # but said there was no price only a "Make Offer" on the for sale sign. I threw my daughter in my truck and we drove straight to where the car was.

On the way I called my Dad up and let him in on what my friend discovered and asked him what he thought about me buying his ole car and if he wanted it if it was outta my price range. He said if I wanted it to go ahead and buy it but to let him know if I could'nt afford it. I was thinking that the seller would be wanting somewhere in the nieghborhood of $12k which would've really overextended me financially, but I had to try.

So I get to the car and look it over and cant believe how it was exactly the same as when my Dad had owned it 15years earlier! I mean it had the same mud flaps, seat covers, floor mats, and ugly wheels. It even had the same smell,haha.

The guy my Dad sold the car to came out and I asked him what he was lookin to get for the car and he said he wanted 9k for it! I was kinda taken aback, I'm no appraiser but I thought for sure he'd be askin 2-3 thousand more. Anyway I told the gentleman that my dad was the one that sold him the car. I told him how my Dad was suppose to sell it to me but I was overseas when he put it up for sale and that I was kinda pissed at my Dad for not giving me the chance to buy it. But in actuallity my dad was probly protecting the car from me,! We went for a ride in it and when we got done I asked him what was the best he could do on the price and he said he'd give it to me for $8k . I dont think he had time to get the words outta his mouth before I said SOLD!!

Here's the kicker, two weeks before all this I bought a brand new Victory motorcycle so this was gonna be a tough one to sell the wife on, haha. So I told the fella that I'd needed to talk to my wife and make sure that my Dad would'nt mind me buyin his old car, but that I was very serious bout buying. I got the okay from the wife (bless her heart!) and Dad said he was cool with me buyin his car as long as he got to drive it too.

My first car was a 68 cutlass and I loved everything about that car unfortunately I put it into a telephone pole coming home from work one winter morning during my high school years. Ive always had a Love of Oldsmobiles from a young age. My Dad and I both have had several olds's throghout the years. I've been looking but I could never find one in the right condition or the right price range for me until I lucked my way upon this car. It's funny cause I use to get behind the wheel of this same car and just daydream of owning such an amazing car, spent many hours in this thing cruisin around with the ole man. It's been a month and half since I got it and I'm still pinching myself!

Sorry for being so long winded but man ya gotta admit what a great story, I had to share it!

As soon as I learn how I'll post pics.
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM

pics

Old pic and new pic
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:48 PM

Oh hell yeah! Awesome story and a great looking car! Congratulations and welcome.

Tom
68 442 (still coming together one piece at a time)
70 F85
95 Aurora
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:20 PM

Sure looks good in red, welcome.
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:41 PM

FANTASTIC STORY! Love the '68, also, for some reason!!!
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Runner

Wow, what an amazing buy! Wish I could find a 442 in that shape for that price
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Olds fanatic

That is a cool story. How great it will be to cruise in the 442 again with your dad but this time with you driving and him riding shotgun.

Did you put the chrome wheels on it after you got it? they look great. Nice stance, nice color and love the wing windows.

Btw, I think you should take your facebook buddy out to lunch in the new ride.
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:49 AM

Welcome to CO

Great story and great looking Olds. Be sure to let you dad drive it. Just put a block of wood under the gas pedal so he can't floor it.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:06 AM
My co-pilot for 30 years

Great story...gotta admire your respect for your father's grace. I respect mine more than any man but wouldn't have handled it as "classily" as you. Sweet ride...and welcome.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:07 AM
71 cutlass convertible

very cool glad you got it back in the family
Larry
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:27 PM

Thanks Y'all, yeah I put the Cragars on as soon as I could after getting the car, (never did like the wheels my dad put on and always loved the Cragar ss wheels). Dad likes the new wheels and we've been on a couple rides in it and he keeps commenting on how wierd it is for me to be driving him around in it,haha. I've joked with him that I was gonna get vanity plates that read "MineNow" he laughs and calls me a ***** when I bring that up.

I've already put a new exhaust with flowmasters and have just ordered new exhaust manifolds from thorton reproductions(the right ex. manifold is cracked). I also got weatherstripping for pretty much the whole car and a coupla trim pieces that need replaced from Year One, but I gotta slow down cause I've already pumped a few grand in this thing and I've only just made my first payment on it!.

I still cant believe how blessed I was to find this car and get it for what I did! The Guy that I bought it off of paid $6k for it when he bought it from my Dad 15 yrs ago and had the engine pulled and rebuilt, and just in the last couple years he had the brakes done, new Battery, new tires and a few other small things done. I should be buying him dinner right along with my buddy from School,lol. One of the things that I still cant believe is that in the 15yrs he had the car he put less than 3 thousand miles on it! My Grandfather painted this car 23yrs ago and it still looks great! All I know is I got one helluva great deal.

I've never given Fate much thought before but I tell ya I'm a believer now. I remember seeing this car at a fair shortly after I got outta the Marine Corps and I waited around cause I was gonna see if the guy would be willing to sell it to me, well he never came around and I waited for close to an Hour! I finally gave up and left, well let me tell ya I'm sure glad I didnt get my hands on that car cause I was pretty wild and stupid in those days and I most likely would of trashed that car, so there was definately a reason why I didnt get the car until I was ready for it.

It's been a great addition to the Family my daughter Loves riding around in it and when we go somewhere as a family it's usually the vehichle we take. The wife Likes it too so that always helps.
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:28 AM
1968 442 restoration

Congratulations on an awesome find and buy. Great price on a very cool car. The fact it belonged to your dad makes it totaly priceless. It is very cool your wife and kids are into the car also. My family can't wait for me to get our 68 442 back together! Sounds like you have some great memories with that car and an opportunity to make a whole bunch more.

Chris
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Past Administrator

Nice car, good story with a happy ending. Welcome to CO.
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! What a great story - it just touches my heart, lol!! An awesome find! It still looks like new in the pics. Beautiful car. That's just soooo cool to have it back in the family again!
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:40 PM

Car show in Republic, Ohio.

Last edited by .Rocket.Man.; December 23rd, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old December 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM

Welcome to the forum!!! Nice car!!!