General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Which trans fluid??

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Which trans fluid??

I've used them all - Dextron, Type F, and Trick Shift, never had a problem from fluid itself, but also didn't notice any difference, as far as I can tell.
Someone else have experience that had a noticable change?
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Nope - they all work the same!
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Far as I know they are all backwards compatible. I tend to stick with DexronŽ though. Last year I found out (duh) by reading the CSM and Owners manual that I could also use it in my Power steering.
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:34 PM

Coan told us they like to see Type F used in their stuff.
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:11 PM

And B+M likes their Trick Shift, in their products - does it seem a little thicker than others?
I'd kind of guess the Dextron at 5w, Ford at 10w, and the B+M at 15w - but have never seen a comparison.
Anyone ever done a comparison in the magazines?
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM

The only difference I've ever seen is in the marketing department...I've tried all of them but just use regular old Dex III / Merc now.
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:37 PM

Call me out if I'm wrong... Someone here explained that Type F is a little bit thicker than Dexron... And I've also heard that B&M trickshift is basically an expensive way to buy Type f.... The thicker fluid will result in higher pressure in the system and alters the performance. Don't mix types or it could potentially foam!
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:44 PM

It may alter the performance, but enough for you to notice? Probably not. This is especially true for a transmission that already has a shift kit in it, it doesn't matter what you put in it, it's going to hit hard.
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:00 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

It might make a few hundredths difference at the strip, but you are unlikely to notice anything on the street.
Transmission shops buy in bulk, I can see why they want you to use the same brand they put in when they built your transmission, certainly over here nowadays there are a number of different trans fluids to suit various transmissions and they are not necessarily interchangeable.
As long as you use the correct fluid for your particular car and use a quality brand you should be fine.
Changing the fluid is something you don't do often and spending a few extra dollars on a top name brand when you do is cheap insurance IMO.

Roger.
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:42 AM

Type F in Fords, and Dextron / Mercon in all the rest. There is a formulation difference, but when it comes to leaks, they all leak equally...
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:43 AM

Thicker? When it comes to tranny fluid, there is no viscosity changes. It's all in the additives in each type. I have never been able to tell any difference between types, except for synthetic.The trans runs cooler.
Old June 30th, 2012, 05:00 AM

Just looked at the stuff in the basement, and it's Pennzoil Dextron II/Ford Mercon labelled. Also have some Mercon V sythetic blend for later model Fords, and this stuff isn't cheap. Don't know the difference, but it all smells the same. As for the mention of using tranny fluild in the power steering. Many do it, but really not supposed to. I just stick with the intended fluid here. Understand, tranny fluid to have microscopic clutch friction particles, where P/S fluid doesn't. Don't know for sure, but the two fliuds certainly don't look or smell the same.
Old June 30th, 2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
It may alter the performance, but enough for you to notice? Probably not. This is especially true for a transmission that already has a shift kit in it, it doesn't matter what you put in it, it's going to hit hard.
Not very sure about the turbo-hydramatics, but apparently type F in the old 4 speed hydramatic will make it hold gears longer, because it shifts based on the fluid pressure. As for the viscosity, It could very well be a myth, it is a curious thing that they are not labelled differently like motor oil...

My 55 shop manual also says trans fluid in the power steering pump... But I'm curious if power steering fluid even existed back then?

Where the hell are all the chemists that seem to show up to the motor oil threads?