General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

SS1 Rim Restoration

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2010, 06:28 PM

SS1 Rim Restoration

Just obtained a set of SS1's in need of restoration. After removing the paint around the lugs, there was quite a bit of rust so I decided to have them sand blasted down so I could start over.

However, my blaster doesn't want to do them for fear that he'll damage the polished/brushed spokes. I'm more then willing to tape them off using whatever material I need to but I can tell he isn't wanting to take this job on. This guy mainly does old signs and such so he probably isn't used to dealing with delicate materials. I'm sure he just loads it up, turns it to 'max blast' and goes to town..not what I'm looking for.

Should I look for somebody that uses a different blasting media? Would soda blasting be preferable over sand blasting? I'm sure somebody has restored a set of these wheels and can offer some advice...given what I paid for them I want to make sure I'm taking the right approach on restoring them.

Thanks!!
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:49 PM

Congratulations Scott! I know you've been looking/rethinking/looking for a while now. You're wise to be cautious as the 'polished spokes' is what makes the 'real' SS1 wheels unique to Olds over the Chevy/AMC/Mopar/etc. versions that were all painted. I think if you carefully mask them (several layers) and the blaster trys to keep the media around the lugs and not on the spoke you might be fine.