General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Spring Carlisle

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Spring Carlisle

Yeah, it's getting to be that time. I'll be in spaces NA140-NA141 again this year, Thursday through Saturday.
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:43 PM

Got any intakes I might want?
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:09 PM

Joe ill be in spaces NG 10-12. Stop over and introduce yourself. Brandon reynolds.

Ill have lots of small stuff CHEAP
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Damn, I'm leaving for vacation in FL that Saturday.

Maybe I can make a banzai run down Wed/Thursday ...If only my truck wasn't such a gas pig
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:56 AM

The Mrs. & I shall be there. Have never been, and am looking forward to trying to take it all in. Not needing anything, but will be looking for Olds and Cad stuff.

We are staying at the Econo Lodge in Mechanicsburg. Should be able to spot us. We'll be the ones wearing Oldsmobille T-shirts (if it is warm enough), and carrying cameras.
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
Got any intakes I might want?
You know I do, just not at a price you would want to pay.
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Alb

Spring Carlisle

Ok, I have at least two things to do this year. Go and finally meet Joe and look for a guy and his wife wearing Olds t-shirts carrying cameras. I might even find time to find a radiator overflow tank for my 69 Cutlass. My cousin and another friend of ours are going. Leaving the wives home. HOT DOG, no adult supervision.
Alb
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:58 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Can't make the spring, hope to make the fall

Larry
Old April 6th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Spring Carlisle

When you get a chance, swing by spaces II 118 - II 119 -- middle of the infield -- the "sailor's row" -- get it?? "I I --- Aye Aye"

Oldsmobile Heaven -- some interesting ++ DELCO ++ too.......

It's me -- Craig -- mobile parts -- New York........
Old April 6th, 2013, 06:16 PM

I have got to make that event one of these years.. Always at the Englishtown swap we hear how much better Carlisle is..
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:49 PM
GM Enthusiast

I'm actually at auto racing school in Hershey that weekend and I hope to stop by. Hope the weather is warmer than last year.
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by mobileparts
the "sailor's row" -- get it?? "I I --- Aye Aye"
An old Marine gets it, and likes it!
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:36 PM

I won't be there this year in person, but I'll be there in spirit. I have my first follow-up with the back surgeon on May 9th. So, I know my buddies will be calling, texting, and whatever electronic communication that will have been invented by then. I think my phone has Skype, but I don't know how to use it. Have fun everybody, I'll be jealous!!!
Old April 24th, 2013, 08:14 PM

Ttt
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, it's getting to be that time. I'll be in spaces NA140-NA141 again this year, Thursday through Saturday.
Not spring -- see ya in the fall!
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:44 AM

Pate is this weekend in Texas. At the Texas Motor Speedway. Pate is now the third largest swap meet in the US.
Old April 25th, 2013, 07:07 AM

Carisle

I would be interested in attending Carisle. What are the dates and background info? I noticed our Calendar isn't really upto date

Thanks Sixtyfour
Old April 25th, 2013, 07:23 AM

The info is a couple of google search clicks away.

http://www.carlisleevents.com/events/spring-carlisle/

The event is going on right now (24th through 28th of April).
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:16 AM

Carisle

Thanks guys - they had one for May 9 - 11 as well, just wasnt sure which one. Maybe see some of you their

Sixtyfour
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:28 AM

There are lots of car-related events at the Carlisle fairgrounds during the year, but the two biggies that everyone talks about are the "Fall" and "Spring" Carlisle.

Another large car event that occurs in the fall, "Fall Hershey," takes place only about 30 miles away.

http://www.hersheyaaca.org/fallmeet.html

It's actually officially known as the Hershey Region AACA Fall Meet, where AACA is the Antique Automobile Club of America. As it often does, it follows by one weekend the Fall Carlisle meet, and many vendors stay over and attend both events.

http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/events/fall-carlisle/

Last edited by jaunty75; April 25th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:49 PM

-

Can't make Carlisle Sat or Sun, so is there enough going on there on Friday to justify going just for the weekday ?
Old April 25th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
Can't make Carlisle Sat or Sun, so is there enough going on there on Friday to justify going just for the weekday ?
Absolutely. Friday is a very big day there.
I used to go on Wed. & Thursday way back when.
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:00 PM
2 '66 98's

I was there today (Thursday) and the crowd looked like a Friday crowd. I don't know if they were buying but there was a lot of looking! Beautiful weather!
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:32 PM

I got there at 6:30am and got home around 8pm. Usual Carlisle swap. Picked up a few things but I have to say the best years for Carlisle have come and gone when it comes to finding choice NOS parts for your Oldsmobile.
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Alb
Ok, I have at least two things to do this year. Go and finally meet Joe and look for a guy and his wife wearing Olds t-shirts carrying cameras. I might even find time to find a radiator overflow tank for my 69 Cutlass. My cousin and another friend of ours are going. Leaving the wives home. HOT DOG, no adult supervision.
Alb
The guy wearing the Olds t-shirt, sunglasses and USMC cap plans on meeting Joe P tomorrow (Fri) morning.
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:21 PM

My wife and I will be going on Sat, hope to stop by and put some faces to some names on here.
Old April 26th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
The guy wearing the Olds t-shirt, sunglasses and USMC cap plans on meeting Joe P tomorrow (Fri) morning.
Dave,

Sorry I missed you. We'll be here until Sat afternoon. Today I was out getting an NOS front bumper for my 62 when you stopped by.
Old April 26th, 2013, 03:32 PM

Dave,

Today I was out getting an NOS front bumper for my 62 when you stopped by.
Awesome score!
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:47 AM

Dave,

Sorry I missed you. We'll be here until Sat afternoon. Today I was out getting an NOS front bumper for my 62 when you stopped by.
Yes, too bad we were not able to connect. I was looking forward to finally meeting you.

I must say, Space NA140 is in the middle of nowhere. You would have been easier to find if I had pulled off to the side of I-76 and yelled "Hey Joe!"

After 3 days of touring the grounds I can now say I have done Spring Carlisle. Today we move on to other environs.

Good luck in navigating your way out of the fairgrounds!
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well, it was a great weekend both weatherwise and swap-wise. Got to meet several CO members and put faces to names, as well as seeing several old friends. Yes, our spring spots are well out in the north forty, but actually we're right in the NW corner of the fairgrounds. Go in gate 3, turn left, and walk until you hit the fence, then turn around.

In addition to the NOS bumper score (courtesy of Bruce Sweeter via Everett Horton), I also got a very cool United Delco cabinet for the shop. Delco made a whole line of cabinets for dealerships and garages, but this is the only one I've ever seen with an upper panel that has an thumbwheel that scrolls through a list of tuneup specs for all 1957-67 American cars.

Like I need ANOTHER restoration project...

I also found a 1966-67 Cutlass dash insert for a floor shift that has the space for the PNRDL indicator blanked out. My 66 needs that.

Friday and Saturday were absolutely packed and we did nice sales in addition to buying stuff. I overheard one commercial vendor (the paint guy in the middle of Row L) tell someone that he set up on Monday and by Wednesday he'd done as much sales as he had done for the whole show the past couple of years. He was expecting to have sales 3X normal. I guess the economy is finally turning around.
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:40 AM

Well, it was a great weekend both weatherwise and swap-wise. Got to meet several CO members and put faces to names, as well as seeing several old friends. Yes, our spring spots are well out in the north forty, but actually we're right in the NW corner of the fairgrounds. Go in gate 3, turn left, and walk until you hit the fence, then turn around.

In addition to the NOS bumper score (courtesy of Bruce Sweeter via Everett Horton), I also got a very cool United Delco cabinet for the shop. Delco made a whole line of cabinets for dealerships and garages, but this is the only one I've ever seen with an upper panel that has an thumbwheel that scrolls through a list of tuneup specs for all 1957-67 American cars.

Like I need ANOTHER restoration project...

see ya in the fall

I also found a 1966-67 Cutlass dash insert for a floor shift that has the space for the PNRDL indicator blanked out. My 66 needs that.

Friday and Saturday were absolutely packed and we did nice sales in addition to buying stuff. I overheard one commercial vendor (the paint guy in the middle of Row L) tell someone that he set up on Monday and by Wednesday he'd done as much sales as he had done for the whole show the past couple of years. He was expecting to have sales 3X normal. I guess the economy is finally turning around.
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:27 PM

Good to hear, 'cause I heard the opposite from a friend selling cars. Said he went home with one more than when he left for Carlisle. He also mentioned he heard between 30-40% at the auction. I didn't go, so I can only go by the reports.
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Good to hear, 'cause I heard the opposite from a friend selling cars. Said he went home with one more than when he left for Carlisle.
That's not necessarily a bad thing...

He also mentioned he heard between 30-40% at the auction. I didn't go, so I can only go by the reports.
30-40% of what? Cars sold? Expected sale prices? Frankly, I avoid big name auctions because I don't think they're doing the hobby much good. People with more money than brains have to win at all costs. I've seen this on a smaller scale at farm auctions, where people will buy used crap for more than it costs new just because they get caught up in the auction fever and have to win. It's the "only a dollar more" mentality.

So Friday night we're walking back in Gate 3 after dinner and an ambulance turns down the street towards the auction pavilion. My friend comments "someone must have passed out from the prices they're asking."
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:48 PM

30-40% of the auction sales. I don't know the offered consignment, so I can't say how many were there to sell. The "TV" auctions definitely have messed it up for us normal guys. The cars (not all of them) that are sold at those auctions are built with one purpose in mind," living long enough until the hammer falls". Much of the components are haphazardly installed, and when the paint smells fresh--BEWARE--
Some of the cars are actually a collector's car that intends to move on, or a relative has passed away, or a genuine auction sale situation. The majority (IMO) is dealer's who are flipping or selling a car that was just completed for that specific auction.
I am in the business, and what I am saying isn't necessarily a BAD thing, I am merely saying, don't believe everything you see at the auctions.
Old April 30th, 2013, 04:26 AM

Are any of you guys going to Winchester VA for the Sunday in the Park classic car show they have during Apple Harvest Festival this Sunday May 5th ? Think I'm going to take the 442
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:31 PM

Hi Joe. I would have liked to meet you to put a face to a name, but I just saw this post... I made it Saturday and was with friends that were there through Saturday. They were selling (what else) Olds only parts in the end of an "I" row (I123?) and had a 67 442 on a trailor next to their space they were looking to sell or part out (as a land mark if you saw them). If you met them, you would like them as they are both down to earth 442 enthusiasts and sell parts as something fun to do (not their everyday jobs). It would be great to put faces to posts on this site (as someone else already mentioned in this thread).
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:00 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hey Joe, glad I ran into you there at the show. It was definitely bigger and busier than last year. I found a few small things I was looking for, wish I had more time to go through all the rows. Even saw some nice cars for sale in the car corral area that were reasonably priced but I behaved and didn't bring home any new ladies.
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:40 AM
Alb

spring Carlisle

Finally met Joe. Glad I did as he set me straight on a couple of things. I didn't buy much but, my cousin is restoring a 65 GTO. Watched him spend a pile. I am helping on that rebuild. Really want to get a 70 Cutlass to redo for the wife. At least if I am doing that she won't get mad at me for being in my garage all the time.
Alb
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by shatrab
Hi Joe. I would have liked to meet you to put a face to a name, but I just saw this post... I made it Saturday and was with friends that were there through Saturday. They were selling (what else) Olds only parts in the end of an "I" row (I123?) and had a 67 442 on a trailor next to their space they were looking to sell or part out (as a land mark if you saw them). If you met them, you would like them as they are both down to earth 442 enthusiasts and sell parts as something fun to do (not their everyday jobs). It would be great to put faces to posts on this site (as someone else already mentioned in this thread).
I saw the 67 and stopped at the booth. Sorry I didn't introduce myself.