General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Spring Carlisle 2011

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:34 PM

Spring Carlisle 2011

Is anyone on this forum going to the spring carlisle weekend? Big show with lots of goodies in PA. Has anyone attended before?
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Oldsdruid

I go if I can get the time off work. However, the last four years work has stomped all over it. This year I have double outages the week of Spring Carlisle. Then I'm looking at a plant restart the week of the All-GM show.

So I guess I'll just keep my happy *** here.
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Alb

Spring Carlisle

I am going if I don't have to work. Oh wait a minute, I am retired. So I should be there.
Alb
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:41 AM

I'm planning on going!
Tweed
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Thinking about going. May even take this, just incase I find something larger than an an Audi wagon will hold.
100_8079.jpg
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I started to go in '73 or '74, but haven't gone in a while because I just can't get away that long, also it's gotten too high-end. I usually go to Englishtown in NJ (usually the week before) - more "cheap rusty junk," less shiny, expensive stuff, and sometimes some really good deals.

My old man goes every year, though, and sits in his valuable space .

- Eric
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
My old man goes every year, though, and sits in his valuable space .

- Eric
Hey, don't knock that.

As my friends and I get closer to becoming "old men", we find that it's a lot tougher to walk the entire swap meet in a day (particularly since many vendors start to close up shop at 3:00 or so in the afternoon!). Last fall we finally rented a space and parked my friend's popup camper on it (plus selling a few items to be legal with the swap meet police). In doing the math, for the $95 cost of one space you get a camper spot for the weekend, plus admission for four people. Even though we were only there for two days, it more than made financial sense (admission is like $9 or $10 per day per person now). Besides, I even sold some stuff and came home with nearly as much money as I left with (a first!). The other big advantage is that we only needed to drag our purchases to the camper, not all the way to the truck parked outside.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, over the years, we've pretty much kept a space at any flea market we've gone to. Makes life so much easier, and also lets you get rid of some junk.

Back in the "old days," though, man the stuff we threw out, or just left there because we didn't want to take "junk" like that home... lots of NOS '50's Ford trim parts in the boxes, lots of Model A parts. Who the heck wanted all that garbage? We couldn't give it away - we'd make deals and force people to take something along with whatever they wanted - "okay, five bucks, but you've gotta take this NOS Ford horn button."
At the time, you couldn't imagine anyone wanting to actually collect or restore '50's cars - they were all rusty crap.

- Eric
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Sweet.. I dont mind old/rusty stuff as long as it works. Is that a flea market out NJ? I love low prices.. Hey Eric I wouldnt mind pittching in on that $95 if I can get a ticket/kick it and learn a few things. I have never been there and would like to get pointed in the right direction and not get ripped off! Im new to this oldsmobile thing.
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:32 PM

Man, that looks like my old ramp-truck! Hodges bed, crew-cab, my tank behind the cab was a little different but all-in-all pretty much the same. I sold it when I quit racing ( now I started again) back in 1990. At that time, it was one of the "better" sportsman haulers; now if you don't have a new dually and box trailer you don't rate!
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Stickman
Thinking about going. May even take this, just incase I find something larger than an an Audi wagon will hold.
Awesome truck, I was close to getting one but made a phone call to my ins company and they wanted like 5G's to insure it for a year. They told me the only person that would have such a truck would be a businessman for commercial use. I told their smart asses that I was a car guy and wanted it to take my car to shows etc... they said sorry buddy no ins and I did not get the truck. Remember though this was in NJ... I got a nice trailer instead but wish I had the truck. Yeah take it to Carlisle someone may fill the back if you dont!
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Awesome truck, I was close to getting one but made a phone call to my ins company and they wanted like 5G's to insure it for a year. They told me the only person that would have such a truck would be a businessman for commercial use. I told their smart asses that I was a car guy and wanted it to take my car to shows etc... they said sorry buddy no ins and I did not get the truck. Remember though this was in NJ... I got a nice trailer instead but wish I had the truck. Yeah take it to Carlisle someone may fill the back if you dont!
Yea the insurance and registration is a pain. About the only company that will resonably insure it is Progressive. And it has to be on a commercial policy for personal use because of it's size. This is also am R30 which I had never heard of until I bought the damn thing. Actually after I had it home and had to get parts. Took me finding a Chevy truck site to get me pointed in the right direction. Everything is heavy duty on this thing. They are not getting me to bad for insurance. Less than $900 a year. Still more than I thought or wanted to pay. Still need to knock the GVW down on the registration. That will save me cash when renewing and may take the insurance down, but I am not sure.
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:39 AM

I'm planing on going.I live only 45 mile and go to the Spring and Fall shows as well as The GM Nationals.I'm self employed and put the shows in my schedule book.If anyone is looking for anything let me know and I'll keep a look out for it.
railguy
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:49 AM

I do Spring and Fall every year. It a shame that there aren't more Oldsmobile vendors at the show. It a great opportunity to pickup large Repop items and save the freight. A quarter of my Chevelle probably came from Carlisle.
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:06 AM

Last fall I got a rocker molding for my 74 Omega it looked NOS.....$5 Its stainless 4"wide 6' long and also fits Ventura's, those thing are extinct!...$5.Ran in to guy that had Puralator oil filters for Olds $1.50.
railguy
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:44 PM

I go every year for parts for my 69 442 and friend's 68 442. It is sort of a joke between us that we can almost count the number of parts for our cars on our hands. But, tons of stuff for Chevy, Ford, rods and a fair number of Mopar parts. We are generally satisfied with cheap sand paper, filler and other odds/ends. It is a good time and start to the summer.