General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

speedo light/convertable top

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2012, 04:55 AM

speedo light/convertable top

I have two issues: 70 Olds Cutlass Conv't.

1. Speedometer light is out, how do I get to it to replace? I have pulled the face plate off and taken out screws that hold speedometer. But I can not pull casement out far enough to reach rear of casement to replace the bulbs. I assume the length of the speedo cable is the reason. Also can't reach it from under the dash.
2. Convertable top stops about 1/3 way up ,after a rest it continues slowly. I suspect it is low on fluid. What type fluid should I use. I was told auto transmission Mercon.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:48 AM

I know nothing about your bulb problem but if the fluid in your reservoir is hydraulic fluid and not brake fluid, some top motors used brake fluid for some reason, transmission fluid works well.. Do not intermix the fluids.....Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; November 13th, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:54 AM

unscrew the tach or clock and you can reach behind to replace the bulbs. You will have 5 bulbs in the speedo, two to light it up, one for the bright lights indicator and two for the turn signals. Not easy but you should be able to reach both bulbs through the clock slot. The bulbs that need replacing are around 3 and 9 o'clock if I remember.

Sounds like your top is low on fluid, there is a process described in the repair manual (I think it is the Fischer body manual) that shows how to fill it. not hard just a bit messy. You can get a copy of it on wildaboutcars.com
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

The problem with the speedo is that the cable is preventing you from pulling it out further. You can loosen the clamp that holds the cable to the firewall and feed it through the grommet from underneath. That will let you pull the speedo further out of the dash. I usually have to disconnect the cable from the back of the speedo anyway to replace bulbs.
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:38 AM

On the passenger side of the power top motor is a rubber plug. Might be a bit stiff on the outside. This is where the fill is for the fluid. I used light weight hydraulic fluid that was for hydraulic jacks - bought it at Advance Auto. Was also told by restoration ship that power steering fluid also works. Opted for the hydraulic fluid since it was designed for pumps. new bottles have the tip like on a caulk tube that works real well for filling the reservoir. I would check for any leaks both at the motor and at the pumps by looking under rear seat
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stevengerard
unscrew the tach or clock and you can reach behind to replace the bulbs. You will have 5 bulbs in the speedo, two to light it up, one for the bright lights indicator and two for the turn signals. Not easy but you should be able to reach both bulbs through the clock slot. The bulbs that need replacing are around 3 and 9 o'clock if I remember.
The bulbs are 194s. You can also reach behind the speedo with your hand if you take out either side of the gages and simply disconnect the speedo at the back of the cluster. It has a spring ciip retainer that you simply pull back on to release the connection on the speedo head. If you are planning to take out the cluster to replace all the bulbs (a good idea for PM) you will also need to disconnect the shift indicator from the shift bowl. Take of the trim plate below the column to do that.