'69 olds cutlass convertable top acting up

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM

'69 olds cutlass convertable top acting up

hello all-
I'm a new member and have enjoyed looking thru the forums here recently.

I'm having a problem with my convertable top opening and closing.

I took the car out last night for a spin and top went down like a champ -- went to close it and the it kinda worked on one side very slowly until it reached a certain point then closed/went up like normal. This morning thinking that the hinge points on top maybe need a little oil so oiled those up lightly and low and behold worked like I never had a problem -- tried it out couple times worked fine -- felt like a I handled it -- well just went out to raise top since its about 92 degrees sunny -- and I had a hard time getting any sort of response either opening or closing -- I jiggle switch around some and finally worked like normal

So I'm thinking I have a faulty switch. Questions 1) in the event of total failure with top down can I manually get the top up? 2) is the switch easy to find/ replace? 3) any other potential cause of problem besides switch being bad?

my 69 olds cutlass is a 350 rocket with 2 barrel carb. My uncle bought it new in '69 , my dad bought it from my uncle when their mom ( my grandmother) passed away. I inherited the car when my dad passed away last fall. My dad had body work and repainted -- however it has some rust coming back thru -- but looks pretty darn styling turns alot of heads. I have enjoyed it more than I thought I would to be honest. its all oringnal
with the exception of most reccent paint job -- my dad apparently picked a 442 muscle car color -- while the oringnal paint was a creamy buff -- the current color is kinda buttercup yellow does'nt go so well with green interior.

sorry to ramble , appreciate any answers to my above questions -- I have a feeling I may be in here some asking questions

thanks
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:37 AM

top malfunction

On your firewall there is a small rectangular junction box drivers side about 6-8 inches below the cowel. Remove the rubber cover and clean the connections. Its a common problen due to moisture corroding the contacts
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:22 PM

thanks for the reply David -- any chance that this little rubber covered box would also effect the other electronic stuff? I have not had a problem with the top since I posted the help thread but have noticed the the radio clicks on and off as well as lights when driving at night -- u know hit a bump in the road and lights flick and radio goes off 4 a sec. once again thanks
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:55 PM

well found out the problem was the ground wire on battery not being attached properly - everything works great now -- have to say a little disapointed that 366 of you guys viewed this post and only one person had anything to offer -- guess I'm used to the ar 15.com weapons forum - where a you get responses -- maybe my question was not clear, maybe the people that viewed the post where not registered -- lot of maybes - very little results