Clock installation question and speedo light question

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM

Clock installation question and speedo light question

Have a couple questions. I looked into my repair manual for 68 Cutlass Supreme about installing a clock gauge. My question is how is the existing removed? Does it have to be taken out from behind the dash or does it just pop out of place? Details please

Also, one once the red LED at the 60MPH mark came on. That was about a year ago. I didnt even know that existed til I started my car and it turned on. Is that just decor? Did the bulb burn out or is something wrong here?
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Randy C.

First, the red light at the 60mph mark is your high beam indicator. It should illuminate when you have your high beams on.

Second, the clock. If a '68 doesn't come with the dash clock or clock/tach, there is a blank decorative pod that's installed (right-most of the three gauge pods in the dash). To get it out, you have to go behind the dash, and that's not easy - there isn't a whole lot of room in there. That pod is held in by two hex head screws - one on the lower left and another on the lower right. The one towards the passenger side is easiest to get at but the one towards the driver side can be a real pain. I believe it's a 1/4" hex head and I've gotten at mine with a 1/4" ratchet. Once the screws are out (and it's a slow, deliberate process), you should be able to work the pod out through the front of the dash.

The clock or clock/tach gauge goes back into that same position. However, there are a couple of wiring differences. First, you will need a ground wire that comes from the speedo pod and attaches from the psngr side screw that holds the speedo pod in place to the driver side screw that holds the clock/clock-tach pod in place (you should already have a same-type wire (factory color is black) from your left side gauge pod to the speedo pod). Second, you will need the clock extension wire harness that connects into your existing under-dash harness and goes to the clock. If you have the clock-tach, you will also need to run a wire (factory color is brown) from the tach to the negative side of your coil.

Hope this helps!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds68442conv4.jpg (49.2 KB, 30 views)
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Randy C.

Here's a better shot. I've had to take the clock/tach out and get it rebuilt since I originally installed it. No matter how many times you've taken this pod out or put it in, it's a struggle. Just take your time and you will get it done!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0510111129.jpg (71.4 KB, 26 views)
Old December 14th, 2011, 10:27 PM

Awesome details. This will help out a few people in the future. Thanks.
Old December 15th, 2011, 02:44 AM

Unless you're really young, or really small, take out the front seat before doing this. You will save yourself a lot of time in the long run.
Old December 15th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
... once the red LED at the 60MPH mark came on.
Unless Mr. Scott had popped into 1969 and made some modifications, I very much doubt your '68 has any LEDs.

- Eric
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:42 PM

Lol, what about the led in the radio? The little red one.

About the high beam light. Ironically enough for the last week it started coming on and all four lights turn on. Before I would only get the two center orange lights with the first mode and only the two putter lights in the second mode. Now I am getting only orange center lights in first mode and all four in second mode. My lows are supposed to turn on in first mode as well, right? Any ideas
Old December 19th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'd say check your high beam switch - it may be dirty or just shot. Also, the plug and connectors that connect to it.

As for the radio, sorry, unless Scottie rigged something up, it's not an LED.

- Eric
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:39 PM

OK,

"First Mode": Parking lights (lights between the headlights, taillights, side marker lights).

"Second Mode": Parking lights and the two outside headlights.

Once in "Second Mode" you can use your foot to step on the "Hi-Beams" switch (located on the floor right beneath the fuse box, to the left of the clutch or brake pedal). This will turn on the two inner headlights as well. Step on the switch again to turn the Hi-Beams off (the other lights will stay on until you put the headlight switch back to "Zero Mode".

BTW, if you rotate the headlight switch to the right it will turn on your courtesy lights. Rotating it to the far left will dim your dash lights.
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

As for the radio, sorry, unless Scottie rigged something up, it's not an LED.

- Eric
Unless it's an aftermarket radio