General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

So in case you were wondering...

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2011, 06:54 AM
NôôB

So in case you were wondering...

In case you guys have been wondering why i was asking about the 72 VC and the 69 88 is this.

Guy in the olds club is interested in my 95 lt1 caprice, and we got to talking and i was thinking about this

-----------------ME-----------------
giving up the 95 caprice 9C1 with an LT1 and a T-56 tranny combo, couple mods done to it for wight reduction

-----------------HIM-----------------
Giving up the 72 Vista Cruiser
69 Delta 88 2dr Hardtop
and a 455 CI from a 76 toro (bone stock and running)

The kicker, he also said i can still drive the caprice until i get the 88 in a DD status, or the VC i am guessing

What you guys think and for those of you new to reading about this here is the links for the thread with the 69 and the 72

The delta thread
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...its-worth.html

The Vista cruiser thread
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ser-worth.html

sorry no thread on the engine though
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Keep the Caprice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Up-front money aside, those cars are rough. I don't have the talent or ambition to even get started on either of those, nor do I have a nearby source to tap for all the necessary parts they'd need. But you might have the skills, ambition, parts supply and, well, $$ to see them through.

Speaking of $$, assuming the fuse situation has been taken care of, you're talking about losing a "known quantity" Caprice that's in fine fettle for two mystery-condition paper weights. The old (Olds?) adage that bringing rough cars up to "driver" status will cost far more than just buying one that's much-better-than-driver-condition at the outset.

I've seen a dozen Craigslist postings for cars like these in the last month in the Detroit area alone. You'll have no problem finding farmer's field-/barn-condition cars, while finding another Caprice in your car's shape once you've "lost" it will be much harder to duplicate at anywhere near what you could sell these daunting projects for. Thanks, but no thanks.

[Besides, you'll need the Caprice to drive all over hell and half of Georgia trying to find parts and supplies... ]
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:47 AM
car guy

RUN!! don't walk away from that deal.
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM

Offer a $1000 for the pair and keep the Caprice or run away and keep the Caprice!
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:01 PM
TalksToToads

Originally Posted by auto_editor
The old (Olds?) adage that bringing rough cars up to "driver" status will cost far more than just buying one that's much-better-than-driver-condition at the outset.
Yep I'm starting to agree with that. Just to give you an idea, I got my 68 Delta 88 for $2500 but I had to put another $3,100 in it just to get it inspected. (Frame repair, suspension work, brake system overhaul)Plus $900 for a timing chain. And now it's going to be at least another $2,000 just to get it on the road again. And I still can't even put the windows down... I have to take the dash out and get all the ducts/hoses hooked up right and fix the gauges. The seats need repaired, and it needs painted. Surprisingly the body is perfect but the frame was shot. Anyway I'll probably have at least $10,000 in it by the time it's done, but what's a new car $20,000? I hate new cars and this is going to be a daily driver. I'm going to drive this car all over the place once I get it back.