General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Silly ricer story

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM

Silly ricer story

Drove the Delta to work last night and right after work I had to go somewhere, so I didn't have the time to let the car warm up. I know it's not a good thing.

Anyway, I'm stopped at a light about 2 blocks from work and the motor is turning at 2000 RPM's and I put it in Netural and rev it a bit to get it to calm down. As this is happening a riced out Civic pulls up at the light going the other way. He starts revving his little fart can.

I pull up and stop next to him and ask him:

Englishtown, this weekend?
Him and his friend laugh
Did I say something funny?
That POS can't beat me?
Really, want do you have done to it?
Dude, I'm not telling you, put up some money and we'll race
IDK dude, sounds like you have a turbo & a supercharger under that hood and a 3 inch exhaust
HA HA you're a dumbass, I have a 4 inch exhaust
Wow, OK how about $200 at E-town on Sunday?
Yeah, man. I get my WAI/CAI combo tomorrow, it's good for about 3 seconds

OK see you there and I drive off

He was maybe 17. Kinda hard to tell with the driver leaning all the way to the side, with his sideways visor on top of his spiky 1990's haircut. Regaurdless, way too young to be out after midnight and not at home in bed sucking on mama's tit

Is was a black Civic, maybe early 2000's with bright green lightning bolt stickers, blue eBay spiecal headlights and blue windshield washer sprayers, bodykit (which looked like it was done professonally) and of course the wing only about 1/4 way up to back of the car.

What's the point in racing him anyway, he'll just go tell his friends "I wooped this big black car last night"

I'll bring my camera to the track this weekend, but I'll doubt he'll show
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Past Administrator

I really don't understand that mind set, "If I beat you I am better than you". I bought Jesse a four set CD I found out about over at HAMB, it is about the roots and beginnings of hot rodding from the forties up. Lots of interviews with big name in car hot rod design and racing including salt flats. I remember one old guy said something that mirrors my misunderstanding about today's youth. He said when he was at the salt flats last season his car broke and another team offered to loan him their car to try to make the speed goal he was there for. He said when he was young racing was an endeavor shared by all participants instead of a goal to "defeat" your competitor. I like that. Sorry about the vagueness of my post, my memory sucks.
Anyway, I agree that he probably won't show as true safe racing is not what he is about. He is probably about talking big and looking big to his buddies. Let us know what turns out though.