General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Sad, sad story

Old August 21st, 2008, 05:14 AM
Past Administrator

Unhappy Sad, sad story

I am making this announcement because I have recommended Bob to many people here before.

Bob Hutchison used to own a field full of old cars, many Oldsmobiles, down in S.W. Missouri off Highway 71. Some of you may have purchased car parts from him. I spoke with my brother-in-law last night and was informed that Bob had lost a civil suite to a person that claimed they were injured while in his yard looking for car parts. Bob was such a nice, honest, hard working guy. He had been in the used car business for over 40 years, selling cars and car parts. He had about 40 acres of cars and was out in the yard every day. He loved his work and was willing to help you pull a part if you needed help. I purchased my '46 project from him and Jesse got a bumper from him for his '64 98. My brother-in-law bought a running 1965 Buick Wildcat from him. Anyway, he lost the legal battle to this jerk. After Bob offered to pay his medical bills, he sued Bob for more; after Bob's insurance paid more he continued to push for punitive damages and got the local government involved. They got him on open titles (which almost every junk yard in the states has in the file cabinet) and trafficking in stolen vehicles (false!). Anyway, Bob lost it all. To avoid having all the cars crushed he sold all he could to a dealer in Oklahoma, good for our hobby but bad for Bob. The remaining cars that could not be saved were slated to be crushed. Bob has only been able to save a small amount of stuff and spirit it away in his shed. This is so sad it makes my blood boil . To top it all off, the guy that did this has known Bob for almost 35 years. Anyway, if you have Bob's number in your wallet or rolodex take it out as he now longer is in business.
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:19 AM
Getting There

my comment would be too politically incorrect to post.......... it really is a sad state of affairs nowadays
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:30 AM

Sounds like some of the local weren't in favor of his operation and just jumped on the bandwagon.

Reminds me of Lady Bird. "Help make America b-e-a-u-T-f-u-l plant a tree a shrub or a Bush."

Of course we had another expression, "Help make America beautiful.................sterilize LBJ"

Local governments = The inmates have taken over the assylum
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ranzan
my comment would be too politically incorrect to post.......... it really is a sad state of affairs nowadays
I agree here; hopefully the junkyard Gods will curse the guy.
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:15 AM

This is very BAD. Bob was an awsome guy. He had so many cool cars too!
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:50 AM
69CuttyS

This @#$%!@#$ guy should be banned for life from all bone yards!!
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM
car guy

Although the individual story is sad the real problem is a much bigger picture. The lawyers and government are ruining our country. The mentality of our population is going down hill so fast I can't keep up.

If I was in a yard and hurt myself to the point of needing medical attention about the only thing I say to the owner is sorry the ambulance disrupted your business and I will be back to pick up my parts as soon as I can. I would not even cross my mind to sue for someone for me hurting myself.

If people with personal responsibilty don't start educating other people and our future generation about values and personal resonsibility we are domed as a society.
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:14 AM
Senior Moment

it's everybody's elses fault, that's the American way.. pathetic, isn't it.
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Registered

Count to ten and don't get in trouble self. That is pitiful, anybody with half a brain knows boneyard are inherently dangerous places, years ago the Judge would have thrown out the case for that reason and the lawyer would't have even taken it. The guy offers to pay the medical and they still went after him? the lawyers just won't stop until they get every drop of blood, self serving and shameless.

Allan
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:38 AM
Rocketeer Jr.

What a damn shame.......
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM

That's really sad. It ain't right either. Junkyard like that are awesome. Pull all the parts you can and the prices are very low. Esp 40 acres of cars, WOW!!

The bone yard around here had a car fall on a guy. He called 911 from under the car before he passed out. Yard's still open and the guy survived.

Enter at your own risk and the wavier you have to sign helps
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

...Sigh...
I miss the old U.S.A.

This new one sucks.
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Although the individual story is sad the real problem is a much bigger picture. The lawyers and government are ruining our country. The mentality of our population is going down hill so fast I can't keep up.

If I was in a yard and hurt myself to the point of needing medical attention about the only thing I say to the owner is sorry the ambulance disrupted your business and I will be back to pick up my parts as soon as I can. I would not even cross my mind to sue for someone for me hurting myself.

If people with personal responsibilty don't start educating other people and our future generation about values and personal resonsibility we are domed as a society.
Well said!

Don
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Kind of makes you wonder
When you have a field of dreams, how long does it take for a noxious weed to ruin the crop??
When Kevin Costner said " Build it and they will come" I think in his mind he was looking at a field like Bobs. My heart goes out to Bob. Sounds like he was just a good old boy trying to make an honest living.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Couldn't have said it better myself:

Originally Posted by gearheads78
... The lawyers and government are ruining our country.
Most especially the lawyers. Not all of them are bad, but there are many that are willing to destroy anything to make a buck. And sadly, our legal system allows them to do it.

But it sure would be nice to find the guy who ruined Bob's life , then go trip on his lawn sprinkler or something...
Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Getting There

Right and wrong and the justice system are 2 different things............
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
is Fast Enough ...

What city was that in ...

Paying the bills probably condemned him ...

It was an admission of complicity ...
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Moment Member

"Justice is mine sayeth the Lord". This tool will get his due.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:52 AM

It is so sad, the state of our country with all the bleeding hearts, lawyers, judges and just plain dead weight we have to carry. Since this is a legal matter and a matter of public record can someone post this guys name ? I personally would like know who he is so I can avoid him at all costs. I`m sure others would agree.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by mugzilla
What city was that in ...

Paying the bills probably condemned him ...

It was an admission of complicity ...
It is near a small town just east of Nevad Mo. about five miles east of Hiway 71. It may have been the municipality or the County, not sure. At any rate, I heard he is doing the best he can. He sneaks out at night and picks hood ornaments, rear view mirrors, and stuff like that before they go to the crusher. He may have plans to start an ebay business with the help of a grand-daughter. Hope it works for him.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by DennisG.
It is so sad, the state of our country with all the bleeding hearts, lawyers, judges and just plain dead weight we have to carry. Since this is a legal matter and a matter of public record can someone post this guys name ? I personally would like know who he is so I can avoid him at all costs. I`m sure others would agree.
Avoid him? I wanta go trip on something in his yard and sue the crap out of him.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Toro68

I feel bad for Bob. We have enough left-wing nuts who would love to shut EVERY junkyark down in the Pine Tree State.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM

Shutting down our hobby

I feel there's two issues being shared here. One, as many of you said people are looking to take advantage of others, and our society will not only allow but facilitates that. Back in my Dad's generation, WWII and after, if someone behaved badly the local citizens would have a talk with him! The next is how the bone yards and personal collections are going away. One local yard was getting a steady supply of Packards that they would remove the trim from and crush. They told me the state would not let them re-sell a whole car once it entered the yard. Later another car guy told me it was part of a collection a 90 year old man had. The county decided he shouldn't have all those old cars on his land, 75-100 I believe, so they stepped in to "clean up" his mess for him. They wern't leaking oil into a creek, or hurting anybody. If the neighbors didn't want to see a field full of cars they shouldn't have bought homes next door to him! He was there for decades with his collection I work in Forestry for the Federal Government but sometimes our Government is way out of control! What happened to "We the People" John
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Damn....That really sucks. That hits close to home. Infact about 2 hours away from home. There are only a handfull of places like that, with my favorite one being in Aurora Missouri. That's were I found my 84 Chevy shortbed while I was looking for Olds motor mounts for my Buick equiped Cutlass. So many old, cool cars in there. Some I didn't even know what they were. It's gonna be a damn shame when they are all gone because some a@#holes see selfserving opertunities and jump on them. I understand that guy needs money to live, but Bob has to get his too.
Old August 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM

this whole country has sold out,and the only way alot of these idiots can make a living is to screw people to get ahead.im on the other side. i got in a industrial accident and im in my mid 30s ,and i had to learn to walk and speak again,this happened a little over a year anyway.im getting hosed by the insurance company.and idiots like this guy get something for nothing.i hop all the luck for your buddy and i dont go to church like i should but i still say my prayers and i will say one for bob.the other guy might of got money but he lost pride and integrity .but bob still has his and you cant replace that.good luck to all of you and unfortunitly we have to look at everything we do in a legal way so people dont hose us.it ashame but true.goodluck to all and stay safe.thanks dave
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by djsoldzparrts
...im on the other side. i got in a industrial accident and im in my mid 30s ,and i had to learn to walk and speak again,this happened a little over a year anyway.im getting hosed by the insurance company.and idiots like this guy get something for nothing.
Well, nothing wrong with a person being compensated by insurance for an incident that was beyond their control, that is what insurance is for. Sorry for you trouble.

other guy might of got money but he lost pride and integrity.
The old saying is true. "The only thing someone cannot take away from you is your honor, you give that away". So many people today do that too easily.

Bob's yard was so cool. He had cars from the thirties, forties and fifties in that yard. And I have never seen more old Ford F1, F2 and F3 trucks in one place, flatheads everywhere. He had at least three Edsels, had a Lincoln Zephyr, so many buicks you would think you were in a navy boneyard by the number of portholes around; and of course, Oldsmobiles.

Too bad....
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:13 AM

There's a old saying,

"Everything that goes around........................comes around."
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:35 AM

What goes around comes around, would fly all the way to the USA just to watch it happen. Andy
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Bob also had two airport style station wagon limos from the 50s.
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
It is near a small town just east of Nevad Mo. about five miles east of Hiway 71. It may have been the municipality or the County, not sure. At any rate, I heard he is doing the best he can. He sneaks out at night and picks hood ornaments, rear view mirrors, and stuff like that before they go to the crusher. He may have plans to start an ebay business with the help of a grand-daughter. Hope it works for him.
Maybe, a few car people in the area (anybody here?) could organize a night raid and help Bob with his parts pickin'. Sneak out at night with him and strip the cars bare in one shot.
Old August 29th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

I thought of something like that but in retrospect I think it is the action of doing it not the stuff he gets that means more. He is already way past retirement age and needs something to keep him going. If some friends were to show up and say "let's go for it" I think he would back off a little. It is sort of his own personal way of getting back, reserved for himself. I wish him the best of luck and hopefully will be able to report some good results out of all this some day. Keep tuned kiddies.
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Junk yard therapy.

I find that Junk Yards are therapy. Walking around thinking about another time ,a better time. I wounder if I could Sue the guy, for taking that away,and may go Postal at any second. It is ashame that one person has taken away the enjoyment of many.
Old August 30th, 2008, 08:52 AM

some yards have you sign in here, enter at your own risk

maybe that would of helped Bob

good yards are getting harder to find this doesn't help
Old August 30th, 2008, 04:57 PM

Angry

In the whole Seattle area there are only a few junkyards were the normal guy can save a buck pulling his own parts. The rest are almost as expenseve as buying new after you pay for the labor to have the part pulled. It gripes me to no end that some people who injure themselves can get juries to award them for their own stupidity and the business owner and the rest of up suffer for his rewards. I hope there is a place in hell for the selfish people who commit this unpunished crime
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:59 AM
car nut farmer

Sad to hear. Not many salvage yards left around hear, especially ones with old cars.
Old October 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Past Administrator

If you never had a chance to look around in there when it was open you sure missed real experience. You were probably within two hours from his place.
Old October 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM

What comes around goes around...I hope
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:51 PM

I worry about the place my friend an I go to. Stan's was established back when nobody thought about suing. The father passed away this summer. Now, the boys have control. I sometimes think that somebody might try to pull the same crap on these guys. My buddy Curt and I go out to the yard half for the fact that the sons are hanging around and want to talk to us. The other half of course is the stuff. We take lunch and hang out in the buses. The buses are used to store all the motor parts, etc. During the winter, in WI it gets pretty cold. But, with some common sense and a bus, you can spend quite a bit of time out in the yard.
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:58 PM
als.olds

I used to live in sikestone mo. and unfortunately never heard of the fellow,but that is crap what happened to such a nice guy.i hope the jack@#% that sued him payes dearly..
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Past Administrator

Super, yeah he isn't the only one I'm sure and I hope you guys can continue to enjoy the yard the brothers are running. Bus for storage, I have seen it before. Ideally, a little kerosene stove keeps it toasty in the winter!

als.olds, he probably already has paid. As someone quoted earlier, "what comes around...".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sad, sad story