General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Should I sell or not? '69 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2012, 10:39 AM

Should I sell or not? '69 Cutlass S

Hello all,
I was recently stopped at a gas station and asked the famous question-"You want to sell that?" And of course my answer was everything has a price, but I don't really want to part with my car, but I could use the extra money. I would need probably around 15 to break even, but I don't know if I did list it for sale should I list it for more than that? The interior is all original except for aftermarket radio and rear deck speakers and under dash gauges (water temp, volts, oil pressure). Engine is all original numbers matching 2 barrell rebuilt 2000 bored .030 over crank turned .010 under three angle valves with hardened seats and new springs, slightly hotter than stock cam. The transmission was rebuilt at the same time as the engine. I don't have any interior pictures, but can take some if that helps you guys give me an idea what it is worth. I've included some pictures incase anyone doesn't know what it looks like.
Thanks,
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
262.jpg (71.9 KB, 75 views)
266.jpg (97.3 KB, 82 views)
267.jpg (94.8 KB, 76 views)
269.jpg (100.1 KB, 71 views)
275.jpg (75.4 KB, 72 views)
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:51 AM

Jon
i have been searching for a 69 convertible for upwards of a year now,which means I check, e-bay, craigslist, autotraderclassic.. basically a google search everyday looking at posts from coast to coast.. so I am very familiar with what current prices are.

I think you have a beautiful car, and originality certainly adds to the value, low miles would obviously help.

all that being said I think your realistic value is in the $10K range maybe $12K to the right buyer.. Unless you really need the cash now, I wouldn't sell it.

just my $0.02 not worth much more than that
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:35 AM

I am also very familiar with 69s and would agree with LIolds. It's a very nice car but for some reason it's never worth what you put into it, at least to a buyer.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Thanks guys. I don't need to sell it and certainly don't want to sell it. I was just wondering.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Administrator

It is worth what someone will stroke a check for, you never know if they fall in love.
Old October 11th, 2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by jon69olds
"You want to sell that?" And of course my answer was everything has a price
So did you give him a price? It seems to me that you had a potentially hot prospect right in front of you there. If you'd have tossed out the $15,000 figure, who knows what he might have said. He might have come back at $10,000 and you settle on $12,000 or $13,000 or something and the car is sold, no muss, no fuss, no putting it on ebay and all the rest.

I actually had this happen to me with the '75 Delta 88 convertible I owned back in the '90s. I had photos of it online, and a guy emailed me and asked if I wanted to sell it. I hadn't been thinking of selling it, but I sent him back a price, and he took it. Car was gone within a week.
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:48 PM
GM Enthusiast

Looks like a nice car, hopefully you don't have to sell it. I am in a similar situation as you right now, I don't want to sell my 71 Cutlass but if someone waived the right # of $ in front of me, I would definitely think about it.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:50 AM

Money seems to come easier if you don't really need it. If you don't need to sell, then it's a perfect time to list. My neighbour had his 69 Cutlass on CL for a year and a half. It was missing some small parts, but had lots of loot spent on it. Old engine and tranny, but rebuilt 12 bolt type O posi, front disc conversion. newer paint, new interior, fancy mags and tires and bench seat (yes, column shift). I figured maybe 8G would be the max, but by god if someone didn't give him $11,000 for it after 1 1/2 years of constant advertising.
Guess the right person had to see it at the right time. It blew me away, to be honest.
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:44 AM

I personally would hold onto it until the market comes back a bit. I have had my '69 442 listed a couple of times for what I thought was a very reasonable price. I have had very little serious interest. It is a buyer's market, I would not take a question of "is that for sale" at the gas station seriously at all. Guy might have thought he could buy it for nothing or just wanted to talk about your cool classic car.
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:50 AM

I've become a pretty big proponent of listing on ebay with a high reserve where you would be very comfortable letting the car go if the price is met. I've done this twice and have been very pleasantly surprised to see the bidding going way higher than I expected and smooth sales all around. At worst its a great way to get a read on the market value of your car with no risk and can turn into a nice payday to use for other needs or an upgraded Olds!
Old October 12th, 2012, 07:50 AM

As long as you are okay with losing $125 fee if you get bids but your reserve is not met
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by LI Olds
As long as you are okay with losing $125 fee if you get bids but your reserve is not met
I wonder what the fees are if you just list the car with a higher minimum, and no reserve?
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:22 AM
delete

Originally Posted by j_link
I personally would hold onto it until the market comes back a bit. I have had my '69 442 listed a couple of times for what I thought was a very reasonable price. I have had very little serious interest.
That is true if you want to exit the hobby. If you would be looking to sell & get into another car the car you buy should be priced down as well

Originally Posted by j_link
It is a buyer's market, I would not take a question of "is that for sale" at the gas station seriously at all.
x2. That is gonna bucks. When he gets the $$ he is gonna..
My sister had a kid in a gas station perster he for months to sell him her '89 Accord with a five speed (popular with the tuners). She said OK & a reasonable $2,500 and the kid had no money.
Maybe the guy comes thru but most likely not.
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't really want to part with my car
Then don't! 69's in great shape are getting harder to find. Enjoy owning and driving it till you MUST sell it; which I hope never happens. I'd bet my last nickel that almost everyone on this site has thought the same thing about their cars at one time or another. I had a solid good $$ offer for mine many years ago. Sentimental attachment and love of the car made me say no. I could also have used the money at the time.....
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM

Droptopron, very good point on selling/buying relative to current market values. The problem I see with that is the average seller on the street is often not in touch with the market not being in the same place it was pre-2008. A person does not want to get stuck selling a car they like a lot, or anything for that matter, in the hopes of replacing it, if there is not something they like better for a realistic price.
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:08 PM

All good points guys. Sentimental value puts this car around 25-30 which I know is dreaming, but when my best freind has a car almost identical to it that makes it even cooler.
Attached Images
Tale of Two Olds 009.jpg (59.9 KB, 35 views)
Tale of Two Olds 011.jpg (72.3 KB, 35 views)
Tale of Two Olds 013.jpg (57.1 KB, 33 views)
Tale of Two Olds 015.jpg (60.4 KB, 34 views)
Tale of Two Olds 016.jpg (80.6 KB, 32 views)
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Very nice twins. You going to add the passenger side mirror?
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:16 PM

No. In fact my friends car didn't have it originally either! These cars are so close it is kind of scary. I mean when was the last time you saw a nearly identical car to yours except maybe when they were new if even then?
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No. In fact my friends car didn't have it originally either! These cars are so close it is kind of scary. I mean when was the last time you saw a nearly identical car to yours except maybe when they were new if even then?
Would you believe at our annual all Olds show in Olds Alberta? LOL, I get what you mean. How close are the VIN numbers?
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:34 AM

You know as long as we have been friends I never even considered the vins. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Did you get pictures of your twins? I can't imagine it happens too often.
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Unfortunately I only got pics where the cars were parked on the dealership lot for the show. I would have loved to do a side by side shot. The VIN thing? I just tossed it out there because your cars are so similar. Wondered if they were close to the same VIN, also curious if they are the same plant and production time. Check the cowl tags too.

Next show we have here I'm going to be shooting pics of a lot of VINs and Cowl tags.
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:33 AM

Well I know they aren't the same plant as mine is a Lansing car and his was built in Canada. So could they still be close in vin numbers?
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Nice cars! A couple of those pics look like they would be All Olds Calander material. Also if those are fuel tanks in the background it looks like they are due for an API inspection.
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well I know they aren't the same plant as mine is a Lansing car and his was built in Canada. So could they still be close in vin numbers?
I sort of doubt it. One nice thing about his car; he can still get GM documentation on it since it was built in Oshawa. I recently ran into a 68 that was built there. Have a look at the cowl tags - they are a lot different. Also see if you can find the build month/week; it would be really nice to see if they were produced around the same time.