General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Safety issues.

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2011, 09:19 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Safety issues.

There have been a few threads lately concerning safety, fuel leaks, eye protection, old tires etc.....
I wonder if it would be worthwhile putting up a sticky or a safety thread reminding us to carry out basic safety procedures. We can't cruise in our pride and joy if we are in the ER or it's wrecked at the side of the road because we were in a hurry to get it ready. Or if we fell off a roof because we didn't make sure the ladder was secured.
What do you guys think?.
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
There have been a few threads lately concerning safety, fuel leaks, eye protection, old tires etc.....
I wonder if it would be worthwhile putting up a sticky or a safety thread reminding us to carry out basic safety procedures. We can't cruise in our pride and joy if we are in the ER or it's wrecked at the side of the road because we were in a hurry to get it ready. Or if we fell off a roof because we didn't make sure the ladder was secured.
What do you guys think?.

Couldn't hurt. No pun intended. OK, maybe just a bit.
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh Ken..... That's probably a good idea. I look all under the hood when I connect the battery before I leave in her, to make sure everything looks as it should. I always look underneath her too, and at the inside of the tires to make sure there's nothing wet on them that shouldn't be there. It's hard to remember everything when you're in a hurry, though.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or something like that!!
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No to sound too contrary, but I feel as though we've got enough stickers telling us not to stand on the top step of the ladder, or hook up the hot water to the cold faucet, or turn up the hot water heater too high, or use the hammer without safety glasses, or use the hair dryer in the bathtub.

I'd sooner rely on my own (good?) sense, than see some new thread or section full of warnings that I'm going to disregard, the same way I recklessly zip-tie the dead-man bar on my lawn mower or drive at 66mph.

- Eric
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
No to sound too contrary, but I feel as though we've got enough stickers telling us not to stand on the top step of the ladder, or hook up the hot water to the cold faucet, or turn up the hot water heater too high, or use the hammer without safety glasses, or use the hair dryer in the bathtub.

I'd sooner rely on my own (good?) sense, than see some new thread or section full of warnings that I'm going to disregard, the same way I recklessly zip-tie the dead-man bar on my lawn mower or drive at 66mph.

- Eric
I don't think you're being too contrary. I agree with you. Maybe a case in point. How may car owners have taken the time to read their cars 'Owner Manual'? It contains the same issues that are being suggested as a sticky. I'd like to think that most of us would know these issues as a matter of experience, ownership or continued life learning. Mind you, I'm also a strong advocate that if someone is unsure, or needs advice they should ask, and that would be a possible topic for discussion, relative to the concern identified. JMO