General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Restoration?

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:25 PM

Restoration?

Hey guys I am new to the Cutlass life style and was wondering if you guys could help me out with some of your own experiences.

I have a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S that has been completely stripped, overhauled transmission and motor (not reassembled) and the paint is already stripped.

So how much should it cost to finish it off? the interior needs to be completely redone. I have all of the original items but they either need to be reupholstered (seats) or just completely replaced (door panels). I also will need a full paint job and a small amount of rust repair underneath a fender.

Thanks guys as a new user I appreciate this account and have already learned so much!
Old February 13th, 2014, 01:47 PM

my experience

If you don't have at least 10K don't bother starting.
Old February 13th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Tyler,
So you found out it was the Cutlass S. Good start.
I can appreciate your question but there are so many variables that make it hard to answer. Eg: are you doing the work yourself, is a shop doing it, what quality are you expecting, how much rust repair etc. It's really a question of how much you're willing to pay to do the project, or save money by learning to do some of it yourself.

There are plenty of replacement parts available now for 70's Cutlass and the $ for them is also increasing along with shipping costs.

A new interior isn't cheap, neither are some kinds of paint, and labor/shop time is variable depending on where you live. Keep in mind that the car is a hobby and you should only try to spend money that you can afford to on it. Don't put the car ahead of your family or $$ obligations as these projects tend to often cost 3X to 4X what you originally thought they would. Don't look at a project car as an investment - it's simply a project to have fun with and enjoy afterwards. If you ever sell it, you'll likely never get the amount you spent on it back.
Old February 13th, 2014, 02:14 PM

okay well I do not have that much car knowledge unfortunately and I am kind of learning as I go. My uncle owns a car restoration shop and I was gonna ask him help me out with it. I am wanting to get it back to the stock look with some modern updates like the radio and speakers. Just really want to finish this car I have dreamed of owning it sense I was 8 years old seeing it parked in my grandpas garage. the rust isn't to bad its only underneath one of the fenders and is probably about the size of my palm with a little bit of holes in it. and I am 19 so not much of a family yet besides my parents but I am paying for it. where do you guys shop for parts at? my grandpa had some magazines from usapartssupply.com so that's where I have been looking.
Old February 13th, 2014, 02:43 PM
morgan

the engine trans are rebuilt and you have most of the interior parts so the best thing is to get in touch with your uncle seeing that he owns a restoraton shop he can tell you how much it will cost for paint/body work/assembly etc interior panels are not that expensive
Old February 13th, 2014, 03:03 PM

Fusick's is probably the preferred supplier of Olds-specific reproduction parts among people here, although many of us use Tamraz, Year One, Ground-Up, Inline Tube, Dick Miller, Supercars Unlimited, OPG, Legendary Interiors and others. There are many threads where people have discussed their experiences with all of these vendors, good and bad.

This website is a great place to pick up nice used original parts as well. Lots of guys here have parts cars of all sorts.

Just doing searches on various restoration topics on here can give you months of reading material.

Good luck getting your car done.

Terry