General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Removing and applying old emblems

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2019, 09:48 AM

Removing and applying old emblems

What is the best way to remove, clean, and apply an emblem without breaking it? Its held on with that glue like goo.
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:16 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Model year of your 98?
Its 2 sided automotive grade body trim tape.
Measure good before removal.
You have to get behind it with a plastic or wood scraper and evenly go under it to release the adhesive. Scrapers ar available online or at your local body shop supply house.
If your painting the car you don't need to be as careful with the paint, but care should be taken to not cause dents. Use another piece of plastic or wood with enough area to provide leverage and not cause dents from the prying action...spread the load per se.
Blue or yellow masking tape under the wood/plastic will help avoid paint damage.
Then you have to take the same care removing the adhesive tape from the emblem. Chances are its brittle.
If you have a paint/body shop supply supplier locally they can assist with the right remover and adhesive tape.
Have you looked for a reproduced or NOS emblem? We'll assume you are replacing a crashed fender and want to reuse the better of the two emblems???
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:04 AM

After soaking the adhesive the best I can, with things like P-blaster and Goo Gone, I've used nylon fish line in a sawing action with good result.
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Model year of your 98?
Its 2 sided automotive grade body trim tape.
Measure good before removal.
You have to get behind it with a plastic or wood scraper and evenly go under it to release the adhesive. Scrapers ar available online or at your local body shop supply house.
If your painting the car you don't need to be as careful with the paint, but care should be taken to not cause dents. Use another piece of plastic or wood with enough area to provide leverage and not cause dents from the prying action...spread the load per se.
Blue or yellow masking tape under the wood/plastic will help avoid paint damage.
Then you have to take the same care removing the adhesive tape from the emblem. Chances are its brittle.
If you have a paint/body shop supply supplier locally they can assist with the right remover and adhesive tape.
Have you looked for a reproduced or NOS emblem? We'll assume you are replacing a crashed fender and want to reuse the better of the two emblems???
It a 1980. Nothing fancy. I have emblems from one car that looks better than the ones currently on it lol not needed but i thought it would fairly easy
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by frankr442
After soaking the adhesive the best I can, with things like P-blaster and Goo Gone, I've used nylon fish line in a sawing action with good result.
Thanks! Will give it a go
Old July 12th, 2019, 04:12 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Frank...fishing line stellar idea!
Old July 12th, 2019, 05:01 PM

X2 on the fishing line, great idea. I would ad using a hair dryer to warm adhesive.
Old July 12th, 2019, 07:10 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

That is what makes this site stand out similar to NCRS.org. No BS testosterone big babies locking horns 24/7 just the facts...mam
Old July 13th, 2019, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Here is a good video