General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rear Window Reveal Moldings for 1970 F85

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2017, 07:42 AM

Rear Window Reveal Moldings for 1970 F85

Could use a little help.
It seems that you can buy the windshield reveal molding for a 1970 F85/cutlass , but I can not locate anyone who sells the rear window reveal molding. Does anyone reproduce them?

I may be able to save what I have, so at this point I am just curious.
Thanks,

Last edited by jharsh; September 16th, 2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old September 15th, 2017, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by jharsh
Could use a little help.
It seems that you can by the windshield reveal molding for a 1970 F85/cutlass , but I can not locate anyone who sells the rear window reveal molding. Does anyone reproduce them?

I may be able to save what I have, so at this point I am just curious.
Thanks,

To my knowledge, nobody repros the rear window reveal moldings you're asking for. The reason the fronts are available is that they fit a whole bunch of other Abody models in addition to yours.
Old September 15th, 2017, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
To my knowledge, nobody repros the rear window reveal moldings you're asking for. The reason the fronts are available is that they fit a whole bunch of other Abody models in addition to yours.

Thanks, That is what I was thinking.
Thanks,
Old September 15th, 2017, 05:41 PM

OK, I could be confused. I thought the reveal molding was the stainless that went on the outside of the glass. If I'm wrong, which molding pieces are you guys talking about? I'm asking as I've got a 1970 post parts car and am not sure what pieces are F85 specific and which are the same as used on the Cutlass models. John
Old September 15th, 2017, 07:08 PM

I was referring to the back glass (ie - rear glass), not the quarter glass/side windows.

Nobody repros the side glass pieces either so when JHarsh mentioned "front glass trim being available repro (or something to that effect) I assumed he was also wondering about the availability, in the repro market, of back glass stainless trim pieces ("back glass" being the fairly large sloped piece of glass that runs down the back on a "S" style body - same piece of glass is used on F85 cars as well since there is no such thing as a "Supreme" bodied F85).
Old September 15th, 2017, 08:07 PM

Thank you for clarifying Patton. I haven't removed the pieces from my parts car, but just looking at it I thought the rear was the same as on hardtops. Then on my car the front bottom piece is different from other cars I've come across. It may be the non-hideaway wipers? Can you clarify this for me? And jharsh does your car have the same front trim as mine? Here's a couple pictures of what I'm looking at.

1970 F85 windshield lower trim

1970 F85 rear window trim
Old September 16th, 2017, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
And jharsh does your car have the same front trim as mine? Here's a couple pictures of what I'm looking at.

Yes, that appears to be the same.

Not sure how my original post was confusing, but I will try to clarify. The Windshield reveal molding is reproduced and can be bought from several vendors. As Patton said, that is because it is the same as several other GM cars. Here is a link: https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1970/mo...ldings/K93685/

Unlike the Windshield molding, the rear window appears to be specific to Oldsmobile and it seems it is not reproduced. At less I can not find any place that does. I may be able to save mine, but I wanted to do some research just in case.
Old September 16th, 2017, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Thank you for clarifying Patton. I haven't removed the pieces from my parts car, but just looking at it I thought the rear was the same as on hardtops. Then on my car the front bottom piece is different from other cars I've come across. It may be the non-hideaway wipers? Can you clarify this for me? And jharsh does your car have the same front trim as mine? Here's a couple pictures of what I'm looking at.

1970 F85 windshield lower trim

1970 F85 rear window trim
On the windshield (front) - what you show (in your first pic) is the lower windshield trim for the "non park" type wipers. As you already know, the "park" type wipers use the wider (or taller) style lower w/shield molding.

The wiper motors, as you probably also know, are different as well for the "non park" and "park" wipers.

Last edited by 70Post; September 16th, 2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old September 16th, 2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by jharsh

Unlike the Windshield molding, the rear window appears to be specific to Oldsmobile and it seems it is not reproduced. At less I can not find any place that does. I may be able to save mine, but I wanted to do some research just in case.

Definitely specific to the 68-72 Cutlass "S" style bodies (incl. F85). I swear I located this rear glass at one time......maybe through Binswanger Glass or you could check Auto City Classics and/or Pilkington Glass (Auto City may be a reseller for Pilkington). I remember being quoted a price in the $400+ range for the rear glass but I just don't remember WHO I got the pricing from. It was a number of years ago.
Old September 16th, 2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Definitely specific to the 68-72 Cutlass "S" style bodies (incl. F85). I swear I located this rear glass at one time......maybe through Binswanger Glass or you could check Auto City Classics and/or Pilkington Glass (Auto City may be a reseller for Pilkington). I remember being quoted a price in the $400+ range for the rear glass but I just don't remember WHO I got the pricing from. It was a number of years ago.
I just tossed 8 of the rear glass in the trash. I can't give them away and they are a tone of work to ship. I hate trashing parts but from time to time I just have to let stuff go
Old September 16th, 2017, 01:59 PM

Most of the time the back trim will polish out good. If it has deep scratches or dinged up I am sure Scott Winn or I could come up with some good ones. I just don't have much time to look myself. Working to much.