Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

47 Olds windshield division bar and reveal moldings for windshield

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2016, 04:58 PM

47 Olds windshield division bar and reveal moldings for windshield

I'm looking for information and "clips" re. 1947 Olds windshield center division bar. I have the bar and can get the rubber molding from Steele Rubber but am totally lost on the "clips" that are mentioned to fasten it on. Fusicks doesn't show anything nor does Steele Rubber. Anyone have extras or can even provide a picture so I know what I'm looking for? I'm thinking 46, 47 and 48 all the same.

Also looking for dimensions of stainless reveal moldings that go around windshield. I have four different sets of windshield reveal moldings. Three sets are about 1/2 inch wide. The other is 3/4 inch wide. Which is the correct set? Once I know I can order the correct rubber pieces from Steele.

Any guidance greatly appreciated as would be one or more division bar clips or photos of them.
These are the problems that come with getting a basket job project car. You don't even know what's missing until its time to go back together toward the end of a project.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 07:56 PM

Follow up Reveal Molding photo comparison

Also looking for dimensions of stainless reveal moldings that go around windshield. I have four different sets of windshield reveal moldings. Three sets are about 1/2 inch wide. The other is 3/4 inch wide. Which is the correct set? Once I know I can order the correct rubber pieces from Steele.

A couple of photos of windshield reveal molding showing size comparisons of what I have. I thought maybe this would stir someone with a 46, 47 or 48 to measure their reveal moldings and let me know which is correct. In the second photo you can see the reveal molding on the left is 1/2 in. wide and the one on the right is 3/4 inch.
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chrome reveal trim 005.JPG (247.7 KB, 10 views)
chrome reveal trim 008.JPG (224.6 KB, 15 views)
Old June 7th, 2016, 06:08 PM

I checked the windshield moldings on my 47 - 68 convert and they are 1/2 inch wide. Don't know about the clips that hold them on since mine have never been off.
Hope that helps some.
Old June 7th, 2016, 06:47 PM

Very helpful

Originally Posted by greyhound
I checked the windshield moldings on my 47 - 68 convert and they are 1/2 inch wide. Don't know about the clips that hold them on since mine have never been off.
Hope that helps some.
__________________________________________________ _

Thanks Greyhound, that's very helpful so I can be sure I'm ordering the right rubber gaskets for pinch weld molding around the windshield. I do appreciate you taking the time and effort to check.

Update on my earlier post: no clips on the pinchweld moldings but Steele Rubber mentions 'clips' on the windshield center divider bar.

The body manual for 1948 has details on that center bar installation that leave out some detail but are clear enough that I think I can read between the lines and figure it out.

There are three pieces to the center divider bar assembly: the stainless outer piece, a metal bar and the rubber molding that Steele Rubber sells. In the photos, which admittedly are not great, you can see the stainless 'cap' piece, then an end view of the divider bar assembly with the cap, rubber and insert piece in place and finally an angle view of the end where the stainless reveal molding fits. It has a rounded cutout for the reveal molding.

The manual says that the center bar assembly is the first part that goes on when installing the windshield. Second are the pinch weld moldings that hold the stainless reveal moldings and then finally the glass that goes in a rubber gasket. The glass goes in its own rubber gasket which is then mounted from the inside and is held by sealer to the pinch weld molding and in the rear by the windshield garnish molding. Clear as mud huh? Not sure why Olds didn't just use the pinch weld molding to also hold the glass like some other makes of cars back then.
Jerry
Attached Images
Old June 9th, 2016, 04:27 AM

Jerry, I went out and measured mine and they are more like the ones on the right in your pics. They are still on the car and the best measurement I could get was just over 5/8", which looks like the measurement in you second pic. I'll go out and try to get a pic with a tape measure if you want me to.
Old June 9th, 2016, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sporty45
Jerry, I went out and measured mine and they are more like the ones on the right in your pics. They are still on the car and the best measurement I could get was just over 5/8", which looks like the measurement in you second pic. I'll go out and try to get a pic with a tape measure if you want me to.
__________________________________________________ ___

That would be helpful. A close up with tape and one that shows the windshield with the stainless reveal. Greyhound got a measure of 1/2 per his post. I wonder if there is a difference between years. series or models (convertible vs. coupes/sedans). Doesn't seem likely, but...

A drawing from Steele of the dimensions of the pinch weld molding is attached. That would appear to show 1/2" dimension.

I should be getting the new reveal molding rubber from Steele Rubber today or tomorrow. One of the two sizes of stainless piece will fit on it. When I have solved this I will post results.
Jerry
Attached Images
Old June 9th, 2016, 10:01 AM

Well, as the pictures show, it would appear that they are actually closer to 1/2" than I thought. The car is not easy to climb around on right now, it is under a tarp tee pee that I made to keep the New England snow off it, so getting good pics is a PIA!

Old June 10th, 2016, 06:16 PM

Did these pics help at all?
Old June 10th, 2016, 07:26 PM

Big Help

Originally Posted by Sporty45
Did these pics help at all?
Yes, I thought I'd posted a note to that effect. Apparently not. I am sorry about that. The photos were a big help in determining the 1/2 stainless was the correct application and that Steele Rubber had supplied the correct pinch weld molding to hold the stainless. Both you and Greyhound get and deserve a big Thanks.

Today the guys at the paint shop were not sure they should have offered to install the windshield glass. Seems the method specified in the 48 Olds Body Manual is different than how they thought the windshield pieces would mount. Most older cars just used one windshield rubber molding that had a channel on both edges. One channel for the glass and one for the pinch weld. The old timers had a method for mounting it that involved a piece of twine to pull the pinch weld side up and onto the pinch weld. The link is to a back window being installed but the procedure is the same:

41-48 Oldsmobiles used the two pieces of rubber method and the center bar is also kind of different and difficult to replace that piece of rubber correctly unless you've done it a bunch of times. Thanks again for helping me determine the correct pieces.
Jerry
Old June 11th, 2016, 04:27 AM

No problem, Jerry, always happy to help.

I know about the cord method, but was not aware that Olds had a different way of doing it. I'll have to look around my neck of the woods for someone familiar with the the proper procedure when I get around to doing mine!

BTW, your car is looking great, can't wait to see it done.
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:25 AM

Dennis, I wouldn't count on finding someone familiar with the Olds method. Best to get the Body Manual for your 47 --though I think 46-48 would also do. My guys do the body and paint on a number of hot rods every year and they were baffled by the "Olds Method" of replacing the windshields. I had to take my body manual to them. My manual is a reproduction and photos are pretty bad but good enough for someone to follow.
Jerry
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:43 AM

Jerry, I do have a manual, so when the time comes, I will take the book to whoever I get to do this for me. Thanks
Old June 30th, 2017, 02:20 PM

Yes, sounds good. How do you want payment? Thanks, Bob
Old June 30th, 2017, 03:07 PM

I'm baffled

Originally Posted by 69442
Yes, sounds good. How do you want payment? Thanks, Bob
__________________________________________________ ___________

Your post asking about payment landed on a sub thread I started in 2016 on 1947 windshield reveal moldings and center bar in the Vintage Olds Forum. Thinking it might be about something I listed for sale long ago, I thought I'd better ask you and not just assume it landed here like Dorothy in OZ.
Jerry
Old June 30th, 2017, 03:56 PM

Sorry Jerry, I was replying to a post with my iPhone and apparently it did something weird!

Thanks for letting me know, Bob
Old July 1st, 2017, 06:21 AM

Smile Windshield install

Jerry,I don't have access to a manual for that model Olds,but I know that the rope method was used on '48-53 Chevrolet 3100 pickups that had the division bar and chrome. There's an excellent article on installing one of these on (blog.classicparts.com/windshield-rubber-install. Hope this helps. Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (71.4 KB, 6 views)
Old July 1st, 2017, 11:24 AM

Its in my file now. Thanks Larry.
Jerry