General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Help Installing Windshield and Back-glass Reveal Moldings

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2014, 08:56 PM

Help Installing Windshield and Back-glass Reveal Moldings

I have a some replacement windshield and back-glass moldings from OPGI for my 1965 Olds Cutlass. The original parts where quite dented from some previous removals and installations. I just had a window guy out to install the glass with urethane rather than the original type butyl rubber. I have all new retaining clips also from OPGI. I could use some help before I bang up my new moldings putting them on.

Where is the correct place to start? Do you install the lower edge first, then the sides, and the top edge last? The corners must slide onto the lower edge a little so that they overlap, do you put them together first and then try to snap them in piece as a unit?

Let me say that I had the lower edge and the sides on once already, on both the front and the back. However, the top edge piece(s) for either the front or back would not snap down in place. I have them all back off again now without screwing any of them up. I am hoping some of you can give me some tips to get this done without denting them all up with my rubber mallet!
Old June 14th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcdynamic88
Ido you put them together first and then try to snap them in piece as a unit?
^^^This. You should be able to snap them in place with the flat of your hand. Also, be sure to use seam sealer or something similar under the clips when you slide then over the weld studs to cover any scratches the clips may make in the paint.