General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Real or not?

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2016, 09:37 AM

Real or not?

http://www.overdrive.fi/v8-market/ca...b31a4a0f071d9/

Real or fake? 75' Delta 88 Conv. Its been put on sale and advertised as " rare car, under 300 made ?? Factory installed Pontiac 350"

Just wondering, not buying.

Last edited by Inline; March 3rd, 2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
... Factory installed Pontiac 350"
Nope. Didn't happen.

Might want a pic. Maybe it's a misidentified Olds 350.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Its probably a Pontiac 400/2v which was a 1 year only optional engine in 75.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 12:21 PM

I'd want to see a pic of that engine to be sure.

I have a 77 Pontiac with a 350 Olds engine. Yeah, it's super rare... probably 1 of 1.

But I put that engine in there.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 02:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

http://www.overdrive.fi/v8-market/ca...b31a4a0f071d9/

Real or fake? 75' Delta 88 Conv. Its been put on sale and advertised as " rare car, under 300 made ?? Factory installed Pontiac 350"

Just wondering, not buying.
Once again, rare does not necessarily mean valuable. Yes, the Pontiac-sourced 400 was factory available in the 1975 Olds D88 and Ninety Eight as an option to the 350 and 455 Olds-sourced motors. It was the 2bbl version and the fifth character of the VIN would be the letter "R" if it was a factory installation. Olds never used the Pontiac 350, but since the Poncho motors are externally identical, the seller is likely confused.

Originally Posted by Local Hero
I have a 77 Pontiac with a 350 Olds engine. Yeah, it's super rare... probably 1 of 1.

But I put that engine in there.
Pontiac DID install Olds 350 motors in Firebirds in the 1977 model year. These were mainly sold in CA. And we all know that the Olds 403 was used in TransAms for the 1977-79 model years, as well as in all B-O-P full size cars in those years.
Old March 4th, 2016, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Once again, rare does not necessarily mean valuable. Yes, the Pontiac-sourced 400 was factory available in the 1975 Olds D88 and Ninety Eight as an option to the 350 and 455 Olds-sourced motors. It was the 2bbl version and the fifth character of the VIN would be the letter "R" if it was a factory installation. Olds never used the Pontiac 350, but since the Poncho motors are externally identical, the seller is likely confused.

Pontiac DID install Olds 350 motors in Firebirds in the 1977 model year. These were mainly sold in CA. And we all know that the Olds 403 was used in TransAms for the 1977-79 model years, as well as in all B-O-P full size cars in those years.
Well its price is in par what those cost around there, for sure theres no additional value added due to that. IMO its even a little cheaper side here.

No additional pictures from that car was found on our most popular car-selling site, just those same ones.
Old March 4th, 2016, 05:20 AM

Gotcha! I knew about the Olds 403s in the TAs. Mine's just a lowly base-line Grand Prix that I use as a winter beater. At 250K miles, the Pontiac 350 was tired and wouldn't hold oil. But I had a 70K mile 75 Olds 350 handy.........
Old March 4th, 2016, 09:18 AM

One thing for sure where you notice how the development has gone lightyears ahead, is how much nowadays engines stand kilometers/miles before needing rebuild. Oils contribute to that too of course, but still.

Last edited by Inline; March 4th, 2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old March 4th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

One thing for sure where you notice the how the development has gone lightyears ahead, is how much nowadays engines stand kilometers/miles before needing rebuild. Oils contribute to that too of course, but still.
Actually, you can thank the EPA for that. Two emissions-related regulations are primarily responsible for engine longevity. First is the move to cleaner fuels and lower emissions. The greatest wear on an engine happens during cold startup. The use of tighter fuel control, rapid warm-up features, and eliminating the need to squirt liquid fuel into the cylinders with the accelerator pump to start have dramatically reduced this cold-start wear. The other thing was the requirement to meet emissions requirements after 100,000 miles without a tuneup. This drove automakers to better control systems, better plugs, better ignition systems, better fuel control, etc, etc.
Old March 4th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Not to mention roller valve trains, tighter tolerances, and better part technology. I remember when 60k miles was the kiss of death for most American v8's. Now the do 250k miles easy.
Old March 5th, 2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Not to mention roller valve trains, tighter tolerances, and better part technology. I remember when 60k miles was the kiss of death for most American v8's. Now the do 250k miles easy.
Or talk about nowadays passenger-car diesel engines.
I had one 680´000km driven Volvo which still ran fine when i parted with it ( knew the history, no rebuild) and currently driving perfectly fine S80 with 500'000km on odo, im the third owner on it. Does not burn any oil during oil-change interval, only leaks very little from camshaft end. These things last longer than people will want to drive on them.
mk.1 S80 is otherwise perfect car, next to free with every imaginable equipment, very rust-prone, good engines and gearboxes, just eats front-end parts for breakfast.

Last edited by Inline; March 5th, 2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old March 6th, 2016, 06:54 PM

Or talk about nowadays passenger-car diesel engines.
I had one 680´000km driven Volvo which still ran fine when i parted with it ( knew the history, no rebuild) and currently driving perfectly fine S80 with 500'000km on odo, im the third owner on it. Does not burn any oil during oil-change interval, only leaks very little from camshaft end. These things last longer than people will want to drive on them.
mk.1 S80 is otherwise perfect car, next to free with every imaginable equipment, very rust-prone, good engines and gearboxes, just eats front-end parts for breakfast.
Mid '90s I worked for a warranty repair shop for the big 3 and we had an instrument cluster come in for repair. The buyer had purchased a bumper-to-bumper unlimited mileage warranty and the repair tech had to call the dealership to verify the mileage which was 972000+ miles for a Chevy pickup that was less than 5 years old. Vortec 350 with throttle body injection. No idea what the maintenance history was for the rest of the vehicle, but the instrument cluster was like new after that.
Old March 6th, 2016, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
Mid '90s I worked for a warranty repair shop for the big 3 and we had an instrument cluster come in for repair. The buyer had purchased a bumper-to-bumper unlimited mileage warranty and the repair tech had to call the dealership to verify the mileage which was 972000+ miles for a Chevy pickup that was less than 5 years old. Vortec 350 with throttle body injection. No idea what the maintenance history was for the rest of the vehicle, but the instrument cluster was like new after that.
He must have been driving that pickup for work
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:22 AM

That's quite a trick
at an average speed of 45- which would be difficult unless one just NEVER stopped and NEVER got off the 75 mph hiway-

driving the full 5 years every day 365/yr...

that's 11.8 hrs a day.

At a more realistic 200 working days/yr, that is 21.6 hrs/day for the full 5 yrs.

Not impossible. Kept busy 3 shifts and always on the hiway. That unlimited mileage warranty was probably a good idea.
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:28 AM
Administrator

That comes out to 532 miles per day.
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:31 AM

I heard about that Chevy truck. I think when it hit a million miles, the factory wanted to buy it back and offered the guy a brand new one. It probably ended up in a museum somewhere. IIRC, the guy owned a small business where he delivered fish and other food to markets with it.

My dad joked that the factory probably wanted it back to figure out where they "messed up." Certainly he should have needed a new one way before then.

Last edited by Local Hero; March 7th, 2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:58 AM

The truck I mentioned was owned by a family that organized and performed at Native American shows all across the US. They drove a circuit from Phoenix up to Washington, across to North Dakota, and down to Oklahoma, then back to Phoenix about every two weeks. They had a camper shell on the back with beds so they could sleep and change out drivers without ever stopping. There may have been other stops along the way as well. That is all the detail I learned about it though. I drive roughly 40,000/year in my work truck which is way above average, but that kinda mileage is insane.

Last edited by cjsdad; March 7th, 2016 at 06:01 AM.
Old March 7th, 2016, 07:51 AM

I think we may have just bought a 1 million mile Tundra back.

Back when I was supporting the Mississippi plant startup, I'd drive down there on Monday, drive back on Friday, and drive 50 miles a day tues-thurs, which netted me 1k/week and 50k/year, and that was really only driving Mon and Fri.

If you were a delivery guy for a machine shop and supported a couple plants a couple hundred miles away, it's quite possible you could hit 400 miles/day, 5 days a week, 2000/week, 100k per year. Add weekends and the extra 2 weeks and get another 50k...yeah, that guy must've been MOVING.
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Considering that the question was about Pontiac motors in D88s, I think this thread has officially gone off the road, through the median, and into oncoming traffic...
Old March 7th, 2016, 01:48 PM

Considering that the question was about Pontiac motors in D88s, I think this thread has officially gone off the road, through the median, and into oncoming traffic...
Through the orchard, across the back 40 and into the woods way back in the hills.
Old March 7th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Over the bridge and off to grandma's...