General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rant about looking at cars

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2017 | 07:39 PM
Lansing built

Rant about looking at cars

Here it is! Yes Olds related! I have contacted two parties on different rigs.

First one was ok I need better pictures of the engine bay and complete dash plus, lower fenders and quarters instead of the down at a 45 degree angle standing two feet away. He replied no rust and come look at it for yourself. I politely told him I am the one who has to drive and 1.4 hrs in one direction I need a little reassurance. No reply so far or pictures. (I have been watching this car for almost a year) Ad "motivated seller"

Second guy. Great pictures and again no engine bay photos. No biggie, unit roughly 25 mins. away so I arrange a meeting time at a neutral place halfway and at a busy grocery store and or as an option the same in his town also at a busy gas station/convenience store. He said I would like my home town. So that makes me raise the red flag and I ask him if it's plated and insured, he says "no it is not" and I asked do you have plans on doing so and he said not going to happen.

Am I missing something here? Yes, these are not high dollar rigs, just trying to buy something as a summer driver that is in decent shape and presentable to the eye these cars are of the big type with 4 doors and rear wheel drive.

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; January 29th, 2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old January 29th, 2017 | 05:07 AM

Sounds like a couple winners, use to be to take people for there word. Even with pictures it can be a big waste of time. The last four times we have went to look at cars the trailer came back empty three times.
Old January 29th, 2017 | 06:42 AM
Always room for one more

It's been like that for years. I don't get it, either. If you want to sell something, you have to put forth some effort. Sometimes I try harder to buy something than the seller does to sell it. But I have no problem coming home with an empty trailer. One time I took my truck and trailer to Florida with the intention of buying a car. The guy came out of the office and said Oh shtt, you have a trailer. The car was nothing like he described it and the trailer remained empty. I was a little peeved because I could have flown to Florida for a whole lot less. Eh, you never know.

No, hard to find integrity in people these days.
Old January 29th, 2017 | 06:59 AM

Are you kidding me! I drove all the way to Lansing Michigan to buy a car that had crappy pictures. When i got there it was better than i thought by the pictures. I had my car trailer with me and loaded it up. 1.5 hrs is nothing. I live close to Wichita. How about when i went to see a car in Tulsa that Orange 442 had the pictures were not that great. I looked at a lot of his stuff. I had cash to buy things we just couldn't get together on a price. I went to a town called Osage kansas also more than a hour away. Didn't buy a car at that time. Went back two months later got a lead a guy gave on a car bought that one from a different guy. Finding cars is hit or miss. So is parts. You never know what the guy has or a possible lead unless you go look. JMO

Last edited by wr1970; January 29th, 2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old January 29th, 2017 | 07:22 AM

Sorry, I agree with WR. Nothing has changed here, it's always been buyer beware. Sellers always act cool about what their selling, and if you get a bad feeling don't go. The fun of looking is the possibility of discovering something you want for what you are willing to pay. It's still your choice, your gut feeling, your time and money. You decide what to do with it.
Don't get frustrated but if your vigilant and keep to your standard of what you want, you will find it eventually. Good luck!
Old January 29th, 2017 | 07:28 AM
Always room for one more

Sure it's buyer beware but I see Pat's point. That's an hour and a half each way. Spend an hour there, and unless you can get the guy to meet you for breakfast, that's 4 1/2 hours out of the middle of your day. What else are you going to get done now?

I've been playing this game a long time, too, and I don't remember things being this bad years ago. I mean, people will outright lie to you and then take an attitude when you call them on it. This isn't always the case but it happens more and more. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Old January 29th, 2017 | 07:44 AM

I agree with you too! I think there are a lot more people out there willing to lie about what they are selling. The point is there have always been deception in sellers (not everyone obviously, some of us still have a conscience). It's up to the buyer to decide whether going to view the car is worth his time based on some phone research, pics etc. The buyer has always needed to be cautious whether there were lots of liars or just a few.
Old January 29th, 2017 | 08:52 AM

Unfortunately for me, 1.5 hours is not a bad travel. On average it takes me an hour to go 12 miles here, yes 12 miles. I know, sucks to be me. Can't wait to retire and move to a one stop sign town. I would agree it blows half the day but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I don't have a lot of confidence in pictures. Depending on the angle, lighting, camera and person taking them. They could make something look better or worse. About the only place I fish blind is on this site. I'm always shocked when I drive 2-1/2 to 3 hours for something and the seller says "I can't believe you drove all the way here". It's difficult to find the time but it's usually worth it. I've gotten some pretty good deals due to the seller being uninterested in shipping. Later, when they want to part with other items they remember you being fair. It goes a long way so they usually call you first. Although, not every meeting went well, on a whole I've had some really good experiences meeting people. Mostly, with purchasing parts or getting rebuild work done. There's a wealth of knowledge out there and people tend to open up in person.

We've all seen the yard that has hundreds of cars but will not sell anything, and in all cases as you speak to the person you find out it's because someone who was looking to make a quick buck played them for a fool & took advantage of them. Then when you come along there guard is way up and there's no chance of getting in.

The reality is people have less integrity today, everyone thinks they have gold due to these car shows and auctions and common curtesy is a thing of the past. But when you find a purist it's usually quite the opposite. In our world I find people like to see there parts go to a good place.
Old January 29th, 2017 | 09:46 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

It's a hobby. If you don't want to drive some distance to look at a car you know you may not buy then stay home.
Anyone into American cars over here faces the same problem, I know it's a small island, but the cars are few and far between. The furthest I've travelled and come home empty handed is a 360 mile round trip. One time I drove ninety miles each way to pick up a set of e-brake cables for a GM G Body.

Roger.
Old January 29th, 2017 | 09:52 AM

I see both points, heck 25 years ago I went to look at a dozen 442 with "442" engines or 455s they all had 350s in them - most were Cutlii or 72s with a 350. One had a full set of 67 Mustang seats in the car — but heck they were "nice." I always assume the car will be in worse condition than the pictures and I try to walk away from every car I look at - and I usually do, I don't buy many, too many kids. But even this recent car I bought (owner was as straight up as can be) there will be more to do then I even realize as I get into it. ANd I saw it in person twice before I pulled the string. I think that's what helped me buy it. I was prepared for the worst and the car was what is was.

But 1.5 hours away and an hour looking is a half a work day, that is a long time to spend looking at something that isn't close to what you think it is. I guess its a chance we take. A little rust in Chicago and Detroit is measured differently than in Arizona.
Old January 29th, 2017 | 09:59 AM

I went all the way to Olahoma city twice with car trailer in tow. Didn't buy the cars they were 442's both were beyond repair no rare parts worth having. That is over three hundred miles one way. Yeah i chase after a wild goose chase but some times it pays off. Part of the hobby. JMO
Old January 29th, 2017 | 10:05 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by wr1970
Are you kidding me! I drove all the way to Lansing Michigan to buy a car that had crappy pictures. When i got there it was better than i thought by the pictures. I had my car trailer with me and loaded it up. 1.5 hrs is nothing. I live close to Wichita. How about when i went to see a car in Tulsa that Orange 442 had the pictures were not that great. I looked at a lot of his stuff. I had cash to buy things we just couldn't get together on a price. I went to a town called Osage kansas also more than a hour away. Didn't buy a car at that time. Went back two months later got a lead a guy gave on a car bought that one from a different guy. Finding cars is hit or miss. So is parts. You never know what the guy has or a possible lead unless you go look. JMO
Maybe you should have PM me! I am just barely west of Lansing. I would have gone and looked at it for no charge. As a matter of fact I would do this for just about anybody here on this forum.

Pat
Old January 29th, 2017 | 10:44 AM
72 Olds CS

I sold my old rusty plow truck a year ago. I took good pics of every bit of rust on the truck and plow as well as writing an honest description, I still had one guy who insisted he wanted to come get it right away and he was 3 hrs from me, I told him 3-4 times I know the truck and I'm sure you can find a better one for the same money a lot closer to you, I didn't think I was gonna be able to talk him outta coming, but he finally relented.

Nother guy lived 25 mins away I said come by, an hour later I texted are you coming? He said yeah I'm still driving, ok another 30 mins go by someone stops checks out the truck and gives me a DP. After about 15 more mins the guy shows up and was POd I sold it, took him about 2 hrs to drive 25 mins! I said sorry I figured you were not coming after you missing our appt. by 90 mins.
Old January 29th, 2017 | 11:08 AM
Lansing built

Time is money! I work an average of 50hrs a week and every other weekend so with gym time and family time not a heck of lot of free time. This is why I don't like it when people jerk anybody around.

I have had good people also with honest opinions and those cars were bought. My avatar is one that the guy was 100% honest with everything he told me. I have owned that car 20 years and not one surprise yet!

Right now, I am the seller end on some parts! I let the guy know all the details and we agreed to terms on dollars and possible pay options (pay pal) cash in person. I have to kick his chair and remind him about the email response and when are going to do this? 5 days and no response.

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; January 29th, 2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old January 29th, 2017 | 02:40 PM

lol, Just seen this thread. I just posted a rant from the sellers side of things. Sure not simple any more for honest people. When I find honest people I am a repeat customer
Old January 30th, 2017 | 07:30 AM

It's a bummer that people are dishonest.
Old January 30th, 2017 | 11:12 AM
delete

To me these sellers aren't dishonest. 1st guy is lazy. I can't blame the 2nd guy for not wanting to register & insure a car if he doesn't want to. You gotta make the call whether it's worth the risk of your time & effort to deal with them. On the upside, if they are dealing with other people in the same manner it may be a buying opportunity for you. Show up with cash. If they aren't motivated maybe they let it go cheap.
People leave good money on the table by not properly presenting what they have for sale.

Case in point - I saw this on a FB buy/sell page today - w/out reading, guess what the guy is selling

9753390C-C4EA-4B03-B80E-39B881156F50_zps2avd0lk4.png
Old January 30th, 2017 | 05:51 PM
Lansing built

I would like to think that any state would have a tremendous issue with no insurance or registration. I would not want to spend time at the local jail whilst they sort the story out and who would be on the hook for the fines?

I don't remove plates or insurance on a vehicle until cash or certified bank check (little risky) in hand and receipt is given and a signed title to the new owner.

Yep! that ad plain old sucks, but once contacted, I would like to think he/she would rectify it. Than again.......
Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; January 30th, 2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old January 31st, 2017 | 06:07 AM
delete

NYS you can flip up to six cars a year legally with no dealer license. Beyond that you have to go legit through the DMV. You can have cars at your house with no registration or insurance but local ordinance can be more restrictive. If someone has an unregistered car at their house I wouldn't expect someone to register & insure it to sell it. Especially if the car would then need to be retitled, which varies state to state. That being said, if I was the seller I wouldn't be driving the car around uninsured to show it to anyone either.
Old January 31st, 2017 | 06:13 AM

You can also sell 6 cars / year in OK without being a dealer. I've often thought it would be easy to make some money flipping cars but I've never jumped into the deep end and bought a project to flip.
Old January 31st, 2017 | 07:22 AM
Always room for one more

It's 4 cars a year in Georgia. And to get a dealer's license you have to have a dedicated lot for the cars and an appropriate, permanent sign.