General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rain Gutter, 70 CS Convertible

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2021, 03:37 PM

Rain Gutter, 70 CS Convertible

Issue: water seems to suddenly be missing the rain gutter in the trunk on both sides when the top is up and I'm getting a lot of water pooling in the trunk. I cleaned the side panels of the roof and the gutters in case debris was causing the issue, it's slightly better in the driver's sides but still misses the gutter by a country mile in the passenger side.

Question: what would cause this to suddenly start happening, and on both sides at once, and how do I quickly fix it?

Unfortunately the car is parked outside for right now, and I'm handy but no mechanic. Can I just try to bend or tap the gutters to try to readjust?

Thanks in advance!
Old July 21st, 2021, 04:14 PM

Look at where the top material attaches to the lower trim stick. If the material is sticking out (due to staples pulled out or whatever), then the water will flow off the material and miss the gutter.

I would not try bending the gutter as 50 year old plastic is likely gonna crack and not bend.
Old July 21st, 2021, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Look at where the top material attaches to the lower trim stick. If the material is sticking out (due to staples pulled out or whatever), then the water will flow off the material and miss the gutter.

I would not try bending the gutter as 50 year old plastic is likely gonna crack and not bend.
Thanks - I didnt realize it was plastic; it felt like metal. I didn't feel any abnormalities in the top other than there was a lot of grime and gunk which I've already cleaned out. Its been crazy hot/humid; I wonder if some of the parts have swelled - it's both sides and it happened at the same time. I'll try to check from inside the car next and have another look. I appreciate the input!
Old July 21st, 2021, 07:33 PM

Clarifier, you're sure it's coming the gutter and the trunk seal is not shot?
Old July 22nd, 2021, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Clarifier, you're sure it's coming the gutter and the trunk seal is not shot?
Positive. I can literally watch the water coming in from that spot when I point a garden hose where the roof/molding meet. It runs down the side of the bag and pools directly underneath it, until it overflows onto the trunk floor
Old October 6th, 2021, 08:02 AM

This next question is minutia — I searched elsewhere to find an answer, including this forum, but no luck. So, I just keep adding to this post as various issues come up, not sure if that's the right way to go, but.. how the heck do I remove the chrome bezel from the light socket on the back seat armrest? I can't take out the armrest without doing that, obviously. I didn't want to force it, for fear of pulling wires out or breaking the plastic on the bezel, but it appears the socket itself comes out of the bezel, as opposed to the wiring coming off of the socket?
Old October 6th, 2021, 09:36 AM
72 Olds CS

I think your looking for this

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...2/#post1374246
Old October 6th, 2021, 10:00 AM

Thanks RetroRanger — you're referring to the assembly manual? Yes, have one coming, hopefully it will tell me how to remove the light socket from the bevel. Thought might be something simple enough, that I'm missing!