General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Pump to Carb fuel line.

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2010, 08:29 AM

Pump to Carb fuel line.

I've been putting up with a stuttering problem at higher RPMs for a while now. If my foot hit the loud pedal too hard the engine would start to stumble once it got spun up good and didn't really recover even after a shift to higher gears for a few seconds. Normally I would think that this was a clogged fuel filter not letting enough gas get in to fill the bowls under demand and then taking a second or two to fill them back up once the revs dropped. But I knew better with this car. It has a line only an idiots blind mother could love.

OK, so we don't want to spend 4 bucks to get a new line to bend right? Lets just put some rubber hose there with two different clamps. Is it rated for fuel, or will it just fall apart? Who knows. Dripping gas onto the engine will just make it go faster right?

But since we've got this nice bendy hose, lets go ahead and put a nice crimp in the line anyway. No need to let all that drippy fuel go straight to the carb. It can just suck it up through the air filter.

That's better.

I'm sure that's not what the factory line looks like, but I'm pretty sure that this one's not just going to dissolve on me now. And I did get some slightly better high end power out of it too. I went ahead and changed the pathetic little fuel filter at the carb too. Next step is working on the choke. What, you didn't see it up there in the first picture? It was cleverly disguised as a vacuum host with a screw stuck in it. I guess the two little holes in the exhaust crossover will heat the air entering the carb from the top that they felt it didn't need a choke. EGR at it's finest.

I could kind of understand it when I got the car and the transmission cooler lines were like this. Just cut 'em with a saw when you pull the engine and transmission from the doner and splice them back with bits of hose. Sure it leaks a little, but whats the price of a few quarts of transmission fluid between friends? It was a pain to make new lines for the transmission, but it took just a few hours and they don't leak. I think it only took me about 10 minutes to bend this one for the gas. And seriously, 4 bucks at Autozone for a 2 foot line already flared with fittings? I don't know whats worse, the fact that the PO did this, or the fact I drove it for a year before I got around to fixing it.
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Check the vent line back at the tank that goes upward. I had a rubber hose with a tear in it that caused the same problem many years ago I can't remember most of the details.