Replace/upgrade fuel line from pump to carb?

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Replace/upgrade fuel line from pump to carb?

(1969 Olds Toronado w/455)

I was thinking instead of using easily kinkable fuel line in between the fuel pump & carb, that I could find a hose barb fitting to go in each end, then run rubber fuel hose between them (with a fuel filter inline of course).

I went to a couple hardware stores, and none of them had barbs that would thread in correctly, some very close sizes, but no go.

Has anyone done this before, and know what size I need? Or any other ideas to go with?
Thanks.

Reference (the line I want to replace):

Last edited by wikkonado; June 6th, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What would be the problem with just replacing the line with a new metal one? That's how I would suggest doing it. You don't want to have any leak issues when you're playing with fuel lines.

I'm not familiar with the barbs you're talking about, but it sounds like a pressure fit quick connect - I'd be leery of it in an area where there's going to be temperature extremes and quite a bit of vibration. The line you took off doesn't actually look all that bad for something 41 years old. Your call, but I'd stay with the steel line and fittings.
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Trying to remember member

Allen is right. Hard line for sure. And plastic inline filters only compound the danger and risk.
This is one of those cases where there is "doing it" and "doing it right". And not doing it right can cost you dearly. This is *not* an area to cut corners.
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:43 PM

This is kind of what I was thinking, but it replaces the whole fitting... I mean if Edelbrock/Jegs sells them, it has to be safe?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1497/?rtype=10

http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick%20Fuel/7...0002/-1?CT=999

Last edited by wikkonado; June 6th, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Do yourself a favor and order the correct prebent steel line. There are several suppliers and it won't cost any more than the two aftermarket fittings and piece of hose. The last thing you want is a potential fuel leak.
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM

Just a standard 3/8 flare fitting.
I usually bend my own from steel brake line they sell at the parts store.
Buy a nice tubing bender, 2 steel lines, and practice with some coat hangar.
If you don't want to...
Buy a pre-bent one from classic, or stainless steel tube.
You won't see rubber fuel line on an F-15 Eagle.
Don't put your car together like that. It could leave you stranded next to a smouldering pile at a bad time.
JMO
Jim
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:54 PM

BTW, invest in some line wrenches for this, too.
Jim
Old June 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Few years back I had a 54 international r110 pickup with a chevy v8 in it and I ran into the same problem. None of the regular auto parts stores had anything to help me. I eventually went to a pep boys and they had tons of different barb fittings I used high pressure fuel line with an inline filter for years without any issues I don't know if you have a pep boys near you but they have a huge selection of barb fittings
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by butchashop
Few years back I had a 54 international r110 pickup with a chevy v8 in it and I ran into the same problem. None of the regular auto parts stores had anything to help me. I eventually went to a pep boys and they had tons of different barb fittings I used high pressure fuel line with an inline filter for years without any issues I don't know if you have a pep boys near you but they have a huge selection of barb fittings
The point isn't that type of fitting *always* fails. But it can and it does. Why in the world take a chance?

Like "the guy" said, "I walked across the freeway with my eyes closed". Yes, it can be done, but........
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by wikkonado
This is kind of what I was thinking, but it replaces the whole fitting... I mean if Edelbrock/Jegs sells them, it has to be safe?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1497/?rtype=10

http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick%20Fuel/7...0002/-1?CT=999

those paticular fittings aren't compatible with the QJ fuel inlet.

you're looking for 3/8" male inverted flare to 3/8" hose barb
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:35 AM

I think the reason most here are opposed to the idea is the length of rubber hose involved. Rubber hose might rub thru, be cut, melted by engine heat of burned thru if there is a fire. The lrss rubber hose the better. Now another was to go is wire braided hose. But one it and more accurately the fittings are expensive. And I had trouble trying to get the fittings to fit in the space around the fuel pump due to the 307 brackets I used. I ended up using am electric fuel pump.
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Oldsdruid

One key thing to remember here. 1st gen Toronados run HOT underhood. Pre-bent steel fuel lines are available and they're not that expensive.

If you insist on using rubber hose and inline filter, make absolutely sure the rubber hose is compatible with modern gasoline. Otherwise you are asking for a leak and fire.
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM

...fast forward a month, and I finally got around to doing this - the right way.
Picked up some 3/8 steel line, a tubing bender, borrowed my roommates flaring tool.

My first attempt at doing this, and as simple as this bend looks, it took me a good 2hrs. I pretty much got it dead nuts on the first cut.

Now I get to replace the leaky lines from the radiator to the tranny, looks even easier!