General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone going to the Mecum auction at Bob McDorman Chevrolet?

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2010, 05:48 AM

Anyone going to the Mecum auction at Bob McDorman Chevrolet?

It's this weekend (November 5-6, 2010). This is just about an hour away from me, and it's just southeast of Columbus, Ohio. With all the central Ohioans on here, I'm thinking that some might make the trip to Canal Winchester on Saturday. I plan to go.

Yes, it's all Chevy cars, but there are some memorabilia pieces that are Olds related. Plus, if you appreciate old cars at all, whatever the make, just touring the 150 Chevrolets to be sold would make the trip there worth it. He apparently has several serial #1 Corvettes.

Full details are here:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/consig...TION_ID=OH1110

Some of the Olds-related, or, at least, non-Chevy specific items to be auctioned are below. The last one, the Olds/Cadillac sign, would be cool as hell but will probably go for a small fortune.

Last edited by jaunty75; November 4th, 2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old November 4th, 2010, 06:26 AM

i believe that Olds - Cadillac sign was from Hartigan in Park Ridge, Ill. Sold - off the Olds brand back in the early '80's that became Ray Oldsmobile, who stayed in town, though.
They had one just like it, and they were one of about 5 dealers that carried those brands together, throughout the U.S. [at least that's what they told us]
Closed about 7 years ago!

Last edited by Rickman48; November 4th, 2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old November 4th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Cool collection. He's got a thing for low vin sequences, huh?
Old November 4th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Any chance of you taking a picture of the Oldsmobile Rocket he has standing up between the two buildings. A close up, full frame would do very nicely.(I want to blow it up)(The picture NOT the rocket) I saw it last May, but didnt have a camera with me.
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
car guy

some killer stuff in there
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by FATRATMATT
Any chance of you taking a picture of the Oldsmobile Rocket he has standing up between the two buildings.
Hell, I didn't even notice that when I looked through the photos! Yes, I'll try to get as good a photo of it as I can.
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM

In fact, in looking through the photos of the memorabila, I think quite a few things have been added since I looked through them all a few days ago. That's why I didn't see the Olds rocket.

My truck, by the way, has only a 6-foot bed. I don't know how easily I can get that 24-foot tall sign home!
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Senior Moment Member

Here's another really good show to attend. My friend is bringing at least one W30 455 4 speed convert. Alot of very cool nostalgia cars there. Race cars, COPOs, Hemis, and of course 442s. Here's the link for the show. Linda Vaughn and Doc Watson will be there! Look at the site. Holy Cow!

http://www.mcacn.com/

Last edited by z11375ss; November 6th, 2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Forgot the link!
Old November 6th, 2010, 05:52 AM

Thats a cool collection. I just bought Z226 from a closed dealer for $20. GM would send the dealers updated color inserts along with a eeprom chip. The chip would provide the wording that would display in the LED portion of the sign.

Thats the same dealer i bought the 60 Chassis Service Manuals from. Sad site going in that building.
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
It's this weekend (November 5-6, 2010). This is just about an hour away from me, and it's just southeast of Columbus, Ohio. With all the central Ohioans on here, I'm thinking that some might make the trip to Canal Winchester on Saturday. I plan to go.

Yes, it's all Chevy cars, but there are some memorabilia pieces that are Olds related. Plus, if you appreciate old cars at all, whatever the make, just touring the 150 Chevrolets to be sold would make the trip there worth it. He apparently has several serial #1 Corvettes.

Full details are here:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/consig...TION_ID=OH1110

Some of the Olds-related, or, at least, non-Chevy specific items to be auctioned are below. The last one, the Olds/Cadillac sign, would be cool as hell but will probably go for a small fortune.

ThE OLDS-CADILLAC sign could possibly be from CHESROWN OLDS/CADILLAC in Columbus. The Bob McDorman collection is truly awesome. I actually met him when he was sponsoring race cars in the 60's. He 9McDorman) was always a huge sponsor at National Trail Raceway. Many pix of cars at NTR show the McDorman ad on the fence behind starting line. Too bad I cant go. My son lives in Columbus and he even called me and asked if i wanted to go but I have other commitment today!

Last edited by Chesrown 67 OAI; November 6th, 2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:41 PM

I attended the auction through to about 12 noon today. It was lots of fun. The crowds were huge, and the action was fast. Those Mecum guys really move things along. I did not stay for the cars themselves as I really wasn't interested in them. I did stay through almost all of the Oldsmobile-related sales. I was originally planning to pay the $100 "initiation" fee that would have allowed me to bid, but then I thought that it was unlikely that I would actually win anything as everything I might be interested in would probably sell for much more than I was willing to pay. It turns out I was right and then some.

Below I've put above each photo what the item sold for. I was truly astonished by the selling price of the Olds/Cadillac sign.

Sold for $150.

Sold for $700. Yes, it really does looks as crappy in real life as it does in the photo, but what made it valuable was the fact that it is actually a Canadian sign as the maple leaf would indicate.

Sold for $36,000. It was the highest-selling of the outdoor, neon, two-sided signs. I had actually thought at one point that I might bid on it. Silly me. I was thinking it would go for $5,000, and I didn't want to pay that much. What a wimp I am!

Sold for $32,000.

Sold for $13,000.

Sold for $8,000.

Sold for $4,000. There was almost no Pontiac or Buick stuff there, and there was just a handful of Olds stuff.

Sold for $16,000.

This thing was absolutely gorgeous. They had it turned on, and the flashing lights were great. It sold $34,500.

Lastly, the 24-foot neon Oldsmobile Rocket sold for $27,500.

Last edited by jaunty75; November 6th, 2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old November 6th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Here's a few more photos from the auction.

One thing that was not for sale was this cool Olds Rocket logo. It's about 10 feet tall and was attached to the outside of a building. There were several signs like this, including both Cadillac and Buick crests, but none were for sale. Not that I could have afforded it if it had been, but this would have been cool has hell to have in the garage.

rocketlogo.jpg

The Corvettes were lined up in several rows under tents, although the weather was fine but cool with temperatures in the high 30s.

scenery5.jpg

scenery2.jpg

scenery1.jpg

A couple of crowd shots.

scenery3.jpg

scenery4.jpg

Finally, here's a shot of the crowd around the bidding area as we were leaving. It was standing room only, and they could have used about three times as many chairs for bidders to sit in as they had set up.

interiorcrowdshot.jpg
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:46 AM

looks like someone learned form the Arizona auctions, look at those cement chunks holding the tents down
Old November 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM

That Oldsmobile Rocket and rocket logo are too cool! Would you e-mail a picture of each please. PM sent.
Old November 8th, 2010, 09:49 AM

Photos sent.