General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Power Steering Box Leak. Need Insight.

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2015, 09:31 AM

Power Steering Box Leak. Need Insight.

After lowering my 76 Cutlass, I noticed a pool of fluid under the power steering box. I haven't had time to dive into the task yet, but by looking at the pictures, what do you guys think happened. The fluid obviously shot up, hit the underside of the hood and collected on the right side of the radiator support. Possible hose fitting failure or leak maybe? I'm just hoping it's not costly. Let me know if you guys have run into similar problems. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cutlass3.jpg (83.9 KB, 48 views)
Cutlass4.jpg (81.6 KB, 46 views)
Cutlass5.jpg (84.7 KB, 47 views)
Old March 7th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by plonka
After lowering my 76 Cutlass, I noticed a pool of fluid under the power steering box. I haven't had time to dive into the task yet, but by looking at the pictures, what do you guys think happened. The fluid obviously shot up, hit the underside of the hood and collected on the right side of the radiator support. Possible hose fitting failure or leak maybe? I'm just hoping it's not costly. Let me know if you guys have run into similar problems. Cheers!
Looks like the high pressure hose is bad. In any case, once a leak gets caught up in the spinning fan, oil can get thrown anywhere.
Old March 7th, 2015, 01:08 PM
morgan

You could try giving the lines a snug down. Have someone turn the steering to see if its from the gear or lines after you snug it
Old March 7th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Administrator

The hose should be available through your local auto parts store if its the culprit.
Old March 8th, 2015, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Looks like the high pressure hose is bad. In any case, once a leak gets caught up in the spinning fan, oil can get thrown anywhere.
It was the high pressure hose. I cleaned the hose, fired up the engine, and the fluid started seeping from the top of the hose. I also noticed several other blisters forming in the hose. Looks like I'll be ready for the huge annual classic car show here next week. As always, thanks to all for your input. Cheers!