General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Pinch Molding Issue

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2022 | 09:48 AM

Pinch Molding Issue

I've got a 69 Cutlass. The pinch molding that came with the car had snaps installed at some point so I ordered a new one from OPGI. It had gotten good reviews and I will admit it looks great. My old one had 3 screws holding it in place, 1 on each end and 1 in the middle. It didn't sit great where it meets the 1/4 window weatherstripping but this one sits about 1/2" or more high. Even with pressure it won't go down all the way. Too much pressure will dent it most likely. I'm wondering if this is correct and I'm suppose to bend the end some? To get ot to sit right on the window seal seems unlikely. Any suggestions?
thanks,
Steve

Old June 30th, 2022 | 11:08 AM

Attach that end first
Old June 30th, 2022 | 01:05 PM
Randy C.

One of the things I don't understand is where you said your pinch weld is attached in only three places - each end and in the middle. The pinch welds on both my '68 and '69 convertibles are attached in 6 places using a "convertible belt molding fastener" shown in the Fusick catalog as part number D3645, in addition to the screw at each end. The Fusick catalog shows this fastener for use in only the '68 models but they were present in my '69 (a Fremont car) as well. I have the screws that you show on each end but in every other place the fastener was used. As I recall, the fasteners were installed first at specified locations (need to have the top lowered halfway) and then the pinch weld was snapped onto the fasteners. I had the unmolested originals with my cars so they went on quite easily. Somehow, there will need to be some "flex" in your pinch weld so that it sits on the body all the way around and I don't know how much flex the repro pinch welds have. In just kind of guessing what to do, I would start at each side end with the screw and work around to the back from there.

Randy C.
Old June 30th, 2022 | 01:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestion on starting on the ends. I checked the CSM and the Fisher manual and could not find anything on it. But I did see the clips in the Fusick catalog but wondered when it said for 68, no clips noted for 69. I can't help but think that's what I need. They may provide a bit of flex in the piece so it fits. I'll call Fusick and see what they say.
Steve