General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Pay Pal fraud, be carefull

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2018, 01:11 PM

Pay Pal fraud, be carefull

Just an FYI, I will no longer take Pay Pal other than an ebay purchase. I would consider it only if you are willing to pay as a friend or family where you have no protections from Pay Pal. If you agree to friend or family and I get it as regular payment I will refund the money and keep the goods till another form of payment is made.

I sold an engine for local pickup only to a guy in PA and got a deposit. After it was pulled from the car and mounted on a pallet he was going to send me the rest of the money and the agreement was that he had to have it picked up by the end of September. He never followed through and never heard from him again. I even emailed him but he would never get back to me. I give him to the end of October anyway just to be nice and then listed it again. Today he filed a claim on Pay Pal that I never shipped the engine. I attached the original agreement that it was local pickup and that this was a deposit to hold the engine till the end of September. It also said that he was responsible for pickup or having a shipping company pick it up by that time. I did offer to drop it off at a Fastenal if he chose that method.

Pay Pal said that I have to provide a tracking number that I shipped it or they would give him his money back. They said that they do not care what is in the purchase agreement (or email). I asked them what would have happened if he paid the full amount and picked it up himself as I would not have a tracking number in that situation either. They said that their policy would have given the full amount back to him in that situation because I have to have a tracking number. I would have been out the money and engine if he picked it up and claimed I didn't ship.

If you take payment by Pay Pal for a local pickup be VERY careful! All they have to do is claim that you did not ship it and they get their money back. You also need to keep the tracking numbers for ANYTHING you ship because 4 months later they can still do the same thing and get their money back without a tracking number. I talked to a guy on the phone from Pay Pal for a long time over this and said it happens all the time. People loose the tracking number so the buyer gets his money back. He even said that it happens all the time that someone will ship with USPS and not even get a tracking number and when the person gets the package with no tracking they already know they can get the money back. He did say that it is different with eBay and that you are protected better there.

I am just glad I am not out the engine. Only the time that the 250 deposit was for.

Old November 20th, 2018, 01:24 PM

That's a bummer the guy tried to scam you. It's good that he didn't get your engine. People are bad.
Old November 20th, 2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Just an FYI, I will no longer take Pay Pal other than an ebay purchase. I would consider it only if you are willing to pay as a friend or family where you have no protections from Pay Pal. If you agree to friend or family and I get it as regular payment I will refund the money and keep the goods till another form of payment is made.

I sold an engine for local pickup only to a guy in PA and got a deposit. After it was pulled from the car and mounted on a pallet he was going to send me the rest of the money and the agreement was that he had to have it picked up by the end of September. He never followed through and never heard from him again. I even emailed him but he would never get back to me. I give him to the end of October anyway just to be nice and then listed it again. Today he filed a claim on Pay Pal that I never shipped the engine. I attached the original agreement that it was local pickup and that this was a deposit to hold the engine till the end of September. It also said that he was responsible for pickup or having a shipping company pick it up by that time. I did offer to drop it off at a Fastenal if he chose that method.

Pay Pal said that I have to provide a tracking number that I shipped it or they would give him his money back. They said that they do not care what is in the purchase agreement (or email). I asked them what would have happened if he paid the full amount and picked it up himself as I would not have a tracking number in that situation either. They said that their policy would have given the full amount back to him in that situation because I have to have a tracking number. I would have been out the money and engine if he picked it up and claimed I didn't ship.

If you take payment by Pay Pal for a local pickup be VERY careful! All they have to do is claim that you did not ship it and they get their money back. You also need to keep the tracking numbers for ANYTHING you ship because 4 months later they can still do the same thing and get their money back without a tracking number. I talked to a guy on the phone from Pay Pal for a long time over this and said it happens all the time. People loose the tracking number so the buyer gets his money back. He even said that it happens all the time that someone will ship with USPS and not even get a tracking number and when the person gets the package with no tracking they already know they can get the money back. He did say that it is different with eBay and that you are protected better there.

I am just glad I am not out the engine. Only the time that the 250 deposit was for.
I had a similar issue with a scammer. PayPal advised me that under no circumstances ship or receive under PayPal's "friends and family.". Friend's and family provides little or any protection. PayPal advised me to send or receive using only " goods and services." This provides the greatest security and, according to Pay Pal, they will back you up in the event of a claim. Pay Pal's "Goods and services" requires a fee that the seller or the buyer must pay.
Feel free to contact Pay Pal for further information on the differences in services and the protection afforded.
I had pay Pal's representative on the phone for at least an hour and he withstood a vigorous cross examination.
Old November 20th, 2018, 03:36 PM

In addition, always request a tracking number from the seller when sending goods and services from PayPal.
Further, before the sale, request that the seller identify the current date, perhaps from a newspaper and identify the photograph's of your intended purchase with as an example "Classicolds.com.
Identifying the date and Classicolds.com will minimize a seller from sending a photographed item copied for which the seller doesn't even own to sell.
Old November 20th, 2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
I had a similar issue with a scammer. PayPal advised me that under no circumstances ship or receive under PayPal's "friends and family.". Friend's and family provides little or any protection. PayPal advised me to send or receive using only " goods and services." This provides the greatest security and, according to Pay Pal, they will back you up in the event of a claim. Pay Pal's "Goods and services" requires a fee that the seller or the buyer must pay.
Feel free to contact Pay Pal for further information on the differences in services and the protection afforded.
I had pay Pal's representative on the phone for at least an hour and he withstood a vigorous cross examination.
Pay pal only protects the buyer not the seller in this situation. If I get money as friend then the buyer has no power to go back on me. I will not commit fraud so they would be safe with friends and family. If they will not buy it by my terms then no deal. I can understand someone not willing to pay as a friend and I am ok with that, they just will not gets goods from me like that any longer. I am considering getting rid of my Pay pal completely after this. If they can't use an email that backs me up 100% then I would prefer not doing business with them.
Old November 20th, 2018, 04:01 PM
MOTORHEAD

Pay pal only protects the buyer not the seller in this situation. If I get money as friend then the buyer has no power to go back on me. I will not commit fraud so they would be safe with friends and family. If they will not buy it by my terms then no deal. I can understand someone not willing to pay as a friend and I am ok with that, they just will not gets goods from me like that any longer. I am considering getting rid of my Pay pal completely after this. If they can't use an email that backs me up 100% then I would prefer not doing business with them.
CUT THE CORD
I went thru paypal hell
they have already taken enough of your money

HEY MISTER ERIC
AND FRIENDS

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
Old November 20th, 2018, 04:34 PM

My understanding is PayPal protects the buyer or the seller using" goods and services." After a claim is investigated, PayPal will honor the claim. Always send the buyer an invoice by email using "goods and services." I agree. If the buyer will not agree with your terms move on. The disadvantage of Internet sales is fraud. I have had instances in which I have been asked to send payment to an email address that is terminated after the sale.
I am not endorsing PayPal. Fraud occurs daily over the Internet regardless of the credit cards submitted for payment.
Another thing we do, although on a different site, is submit the email address, contact information, etc to the site administrator. The administrator bans them from the site. It also helps to post your experiences, positive and negative, in the buyers/sellers forum. It may help to review the buyers/sellers forum to determine other members positive or negative salesor purchase experiences with someone in particular.
The bottom line unfortunately; be careful.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; November 20th, 2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:05 PM

My understanding is PayPal protects the buyer or the seller using" goods and services." After a claim is investigated, PayPal will honor the claim. Always send the buyer an invoice by email using "goods and services." I agree. If the buyer will not agree with your terms move on. The disadvantage of Internet sales is fraud. I have had instances in which I have been asked to send payment to an email address that is terminated after the sale.
I am not endorsing PayPal. Fraud occurs daily over the Internet regardless of the credit cards submitted for payment.
Another thing we do, although on a different site, is submit the email address, contact information, etc to the site administrator. The administrator bans them from the site. It also helps to post your experiences, positive and negative, in the buyers/sellers forum. It may help to review the buyers/sellers forum to determine other members positive or negative salesor purchase experiences with someone in particular.
The bottom line unfortunately; be careful.
But they are not protecting me. I have a very clear purchase agreement that states that he is to arrange shipping because it is sold as local pickup
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:10 PM

But they are not protecting me. I have a very clear purchase agreement that states that he is to arrange shipping because it is sold as local pickup
I need more information. This is difficult over the Internet .PM Sent
Old November 21st, 2018, 05:32 AM

Paypal only has as much power as you give them. My account is set up to a checking account that usually has very little in it. They can't take what isn't there.

This is the problem with corporations. Any individual with power over someone else either needs to be readily available to be voted out of office, or shot, when they violate that power. It's the American Way.
Old November 21st, 2018, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Paypal only has as much power as you give them. My account is set up to a checking account that usually has very little in it. They can't take what isn't there.

This is the problem with corporations. Any individual with power over someone else either needs to be readily available to be voted out of office, or shot, when they violate that power. It's the American Way.
A friend of mine done that but they get the money anyway. He had to pay the bank an overdraft fee also.
Old November 21st, 2018, 06:48 AM

I have never taken PayPal and never will.
Old November 21st, 2018, 01:21 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Cash n carry or no deal.
Old November 21st, 2018, 07:51 PM

What a jerk. Eric is one of the straightest shooters out there, and to take advantage of his generosity and willingness to help others is really low.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 03:08 AM

I haven't sold anything on ebay in a dozen years because of these scammers.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 11:50 AM

PayPal fraud, be careful

My debit card is linked to PayPal. Normally, I keep a nominal amount in my debit card. I only add money to my debit card when I am using the card. Also, my debit card is not linked to my bank account. A purchase request is always declined if the account is not funded. Sad, but unfortunately the world in which we live.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone
Old November 22nd, 2018, 02:01 PM

My debit card is linked to PayPal. Normally, I keep a nominal amount in my debit card. I only add money to my debit card when I am using the card. Also, my debit card is not linked to my bank account. A purchase request is always declined if the account is not funded. Sad, but unfortunately the world in which we live.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone
This may be what I do in the future. I would assume that Pay Pal could still get you by mail and threaten action if they don't get the money somehow? Maybe not?
Old November 22nd, 2018, 02:54 PM

This may be what I do in the future. I would assume that Pay Pal could still get you by mail and threaten action if they don't get the money somehow? Maybe not?
I don't see how. The purchase is contingent upon payment. If no payment, then no sale, and merchandise is not shipped.
I'm willing to get PayPal on the phone if you want to call. You may also want to ask for a PayPal Supervisor to go over your case.
An earlier poster, I'm sorry, I'm on a mobile phone and I can't see the the posters name, linked his checking account to PayPal and keeps his checking balance deliberately low. The bank charged him an an insufficient balance fee, because from the banks perspective, he didn't have sufficient funds to cover the purchase. An insufficient balance bank fee is better than the alternative. Lucky for him the bank didn't advance the fee to cover the purchase. If the bank advanced the funds, he would be responsible for the purchased amount to the bank.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 06:09 PM
"me somebody" site member

I don't post much here any more, but have to ask after reading your story - what are you out, exactly? You basically had to give him back his deposit, yes? And if you sell / already sold the motor to someone else, you would also have had to pull it anyway, yes? A contract that says a deposit is non-refundable (if that is what yours said) may not be enforceable in any case, Difference here is Paypal made sure you gave the guy's money back as opposed to him having to use some other means like small claims court or a lawyer (and even then getting a judgement is not the same as actually getting the money). Not saying he aint a jerk, or that he didn't waste your time, just that Paypal did exactly what they are supposed to do here, i.e. protect the person who sent the money, a-hole or not.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 06:35 PM

PayPal provides no protection for the buyer or seller under friends and family.

PayPal provides protection for the buyer or seller under goods and services. Fees for goods and services are higher. Items must be shipped and have tracking number for PayPal to provide protection for the seller, in order to provide protection to the buyer and seller.

Old November 22nd, 2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
I don't post much here any more, but have to ask after reading your story - what are you out, exactly? You basically had to give him back his deposit, yes? And if you sell / already sold the motor to someone else, you would also have had to pull it anyway, yes? A contract that says a deposit is non-refundable (if that is what yours said) may not be enforceable in any case, Difference here is Paypal made sure you gave the guy's money back as opposed to him having to use some other means like small claims court or a lawyer (and even then getting a judgement is not the same as actually getting the money). Not saying he aint a jerk, or that he didn't waste your time, just that Paypal did exactly what they are supposed to do here, i.e. protect the person who sent the money, a-hole or not.
The entire reason for a deposit to hold something is so that they follow through and not waist my time. I have many emails and a couple phone calls and the expense of putting it on a pallet and taking it to work to lower his shipping fees. For local pickup only that is a fair amount of investment I would not have had to do if they picked it up like most people do on local pick up. I said before I still have the engine and I am not out that much but this is not the point. I just want people to be aware that they can take a payment by Pay Pal, then they pick it up, then they go home and tell Pay Pal it was never shipped. If you do not have a tracking number they get the money back and they also have your goods.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 06:54 PM
"me somebody" site member

Fair enough, but you also said you would no longer take Paypal other than an E-bay purchase. I suppose I can understand not taking it for items picked up in person but not shipped, but if you did ship and E-mail someone the tracking number, you could have it saved indefinitely in case they tried to scam you later. As for a buyer picking up it up in person, how about having them sign something stating they did so? Just spitballing here; regardless of Paypal policy, if they tried to scam you through Paypal later, the signature would be proof of attempted fraud (and a deterrent to them even trying). Your reaction not to accept anything other than the "friends and family" Paypal option may reduce the pool of people willing to buy anything from you. I wouldn't use that option no matter how good a person's reputation.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 07:25 PM

Fair enough, but you also said you would no longer take Paypal other than an E-bay purchase. I suppose I can understand not taking it for items picked up in person but not shipped, but if you did ship and E-mail someone the tracking number, you could have it saved indefinitely in case they tried to scam you later. As for a buyer picking up it up in person, how about having them sign something stating they did so? Just spitballing here; regardless of Paypal policy, if they tried to scam you through Paypal later, the signature would be proof of attempted fraud (and a deterrent to them even trying). Your reaction not to accept anything other than the "friends and family" Paypal option may reduce the pool of people willing to buy anything from you. I wouldn't use that option no matter how good a person's reputation.
I would hope they would accept that but I am not really sure. They will not even allow me to forward the email to them that has the agreement. He said they will not recognize an email as evidence and would not give me an email address to forward it to.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 07:47 PM

PayPal is not to be used for counter sales. PayPal does not protect the seller if an item is not shipped, or shipped without a valid tracking number. If a purchaser picks up an item and pays for an item using PayPal and later claims non receipt, PayPal will honor the purchasers claim and refund the purchasers money. The seller can have a signed receipt from the buyer and a videotape of the purchaser taking the item into their vehicle and PayPal reverses the transaction and refunds the sellers funds. PayPal relies on a valid tracking number and whether or not the item was received or not received. You can live around the corner and advise the seller that you will pick up your item, pay, and then later file a claim that you never received your item and PayPal will honor the purchasers claim and reverse the transaction.
PayPal's protection relies upon the seller shipping, upon receipt of funds, and the buyer receiving the item. If the buyer claims non receipt, a claim is opened to establish whether or not the item was or was not received. Based on shipping confirmation, the claim will either be honored or declined.
The fact that PayPal paid a fraudulent claim does not preclude you from filing civil or criminal fraud charges. However, unless you reside in the same state as the sale, you will have difficulty prosecuting the case since you must appear personally and the amount of the dispute does not warrant the costs of the claim, assuming you can find the purchaser.
The scammers know the system. Again, always use PayPal's goods and services, ship your items, and retain your tracking number in the event of a claim.
PayPal protects the buyer and the seller, providing you comply with PayPal's policies.
I am not judging the personal experience expressed by the original poster.
In addition, I am not affiliated with PayPal. I am only attempting to inform members of PayPal's protection policies.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; November 22nd, 2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 07:02 AM

I stopped selling on eBay and I only take pay pal from people I know. E-transfer or cash only are the only other options.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 12:34 PM
Olds Fever

I no longer sell on EBay due to the payment restrictions,,, I also closed my PayPal account and only deal in USPS Money Orders (Domestic/International), Certified Bank checks, and Cash... So far it has worked quite well for me... The money order method is the most convenient since I receive the money order, cash it directly at any USPS and ship the package at the same time...
Old November 23rd, 2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
I no longer sell on EBay due to the payment restrictions,,, I also closed my PayPal account and only deal in USPS Money Orders (Domestic/International), Certified Bank checks, and Cash... So far it has worked quite well for me... The money order method is the most convenient since I receive the money order, cash it directly at any USPS and ship the package at the same time...
That is great for the seller. What assurance/protection is the buyer afforded if the seller fails to ship. I don't doubt you won't ship, but from a buyer's perspective.....
Old November 23rd, 2018, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Buying and selling is always a crapshoot for both the buyer and the seller. I doubt there is one solution that will make both parties happy. Go with the one that makes you happy and if the buyer does not agree then they can shop elsewhere, its business.
Old November 24th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Buying and selling is always a crapshoot for both the buyer and the seller. I doubt there is one solution that will make both parties happy. Go with the one that makes you happy and if the buyer does not agree then they can shop elsewhere, its business.
I agree, As you said, the buyer can always shop somewhere else...

That is great for the seller. What assurance/protection is the buyer afforded if the seller fails to ship. I don't doubt you won't ship, but from a buyer's perspective.....
Since I don't intend to take the risk, the buyer can use due diligence and make a rational decision, possibly based on the seller's past history if available or evaluate the risk factor before proceeding with a purchase... I know this isn't always possible, but as previously said, buying and selling is a crap shoot and you need to protect your own investment as a seller...
Old November 25th, 2018, 08:31 AM

I lost $250 on a US Money order deal. If I would have had paypal I would have got my parts or still had my money.
90% of the people have been great to deal with and this has made up for the few times I was not happy with the description or the one time I did not get my part.
I have had to take risk to move my project forward so to the great 90% A BIG THANK YOU !!!

Bernhard

Last edited by Bernhard; November 25th, 2018 at 08:35 AM.