General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Pax side mirror

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2017, 12:43 PM

Pax side mirror

What is the best closely match Passenger side rear view mirror to match the original remote control Driver side mirror for a 69 442. Or does some make a set with a remote control Dr side mirror
I sure do miss driving with a Pax side mirror
Thanks
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Randy C.

No one makes a passenger side mirror that matches the driver side remote mirror for the 68-69 model years. At one time I thought that, just maybe, in right-hand drive countries, one might find a remote right hand side mirror that matches a driver side remote mirror but, no luck.

Here's the way it worked in 68-69 model years. The standard driver side/left mirror wasn't remote - you had to roll down the window to adjust it. There was a dealer accessory right side mirror that matches the standard left side mirror. That would have been installed at the dealership - it wasn't an option (note - no option code for right side mirrors in the 68-69 model years).

So what if you had a remote driver side mirror and wanted a passenger side mirror? The answer is, the dealership would install the accessory right side mirror that doesn't match the driver side remote mirror. From what I've gathered, there are at least a couple of members on this site whose cars are configured this way. It probably gets lots of head scratches and questions because they don't match, but that was the only way for those two years you could get the "accessory" right side mirror.

When I restored my '69, I pondered on what to do as it came with a driver side remote mirror. I decided that, for now, I would go with the non-remote standard mirror on the driver side and install the "accessory" passenger side mirror so that the side mirrors would match. I'm still thinking that maybe, someday, I'll remove the standard driver side mirror and install the remote driver side mirror. I just haven't come to that point as of yet!

Randy C.
Old August 12th, 2017, 02:37 PM

That matches my experience with 67. I have a dealer accessory nos rh mirror package, and was thinking about doing the remote window on the left, but I would rather have them match, as I am the only driver and it won't get adjusted, other than the car cover knocking it sideways when I remove it.
Old August 13th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Frankly, the 1969-earlier remote mirrors look like big warts on the side of the car. Unless you have lots of different drivers, why do you need it, and frankly, is it THAT hard to roll the window down?
Old August 13th, 2017, 04:01 PM

I agree that the remote feature is not really needed. I would much rather see a matched set as original equipment but that didn't happen. I would have no problem changing over to aftermarket but my door panel has the hole for the factory mirror. So what I would like to find is a nice pair that has the same mount profile as original but I need something that will fill the door panel hole.
But anyway thanks for the replys
Old August 13th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Randy C.

I find those side mirrors hard to see anything. They just don't show what's behind you as good as more modern side mirrors. But I guess they are better than nothing!

You could still mount your remote mirror on the driver side and install a repro (or original if you have one) passenger side mirror and it would be consistent with what was available during those years. I went with the standard mirror because I had new door panels and didn't have to worry about the hole in the old panel.

Randy C.