Drivers side side view mirror

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Drivers side side view mirror

Pulled the drivers door off of my donor and was going to remove the side view mirror because it is cracked and I have another one. Went to take the screws out of the mirror and stripped them. They are allen screws (I stripped the heads) and thread in from the top, can't really get access to the underside of them to see what is on the other side. I was wondering if anyone knows how I can get these things out and re-install factory original screws or do I nned to drill them and use some kind of metal screw to install the new mirror?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Registered

If it's the same as a '71 there are two keyholed slots in the door and screws with wide flat heads that thread into the mirror from the bottom. The heads fit through the round part of the keyholes then you slide the mirror forward a little into the small keyhole slots and tighten them (counter-clockwise) with the allen wrench. You may just be able to just pull it back and take it off if they aren't too tight. I've seen the screws at some of the Olds parts places if you want to replace them.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Willidog
Pulled the drivers door off of my donor and was going to remove the side view mirror because it is cracked and I have another one. Went to take the screws out of the mirror and stripped them. They are allen screws (I stripped the heads) and thread in from the top, can't really get access to the underside of them to see what is on the other side. I was wondering if anyone knows how I can get these things out and re-install factory original screws or do I nned to drill them and use some kind of metal screw to install the new mirror?
Another person fooled by the Olds outside mirror screws.

These screws do not screw in from the top. The heads are on the underside and are pulled up against the bottom of the door sheetmetal. You stripped the allen recess because you tried to loosen them, which simply pulled the heads up tighter against the underside of the door. You need to turn the allen wrench CLOCKWISE to loosen these screws. Once you do that, you can slide the mirror and pull it out of the keyhole slots described above.

Don't feel bad. You don't want to know how I discovered this...
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Thanks for the replies. Just re-inforces what I DON't know. Sure am glad I can come to this place and get help. Now I just hope I didn't screw them up too bad. Thanks guys.

Keith
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Official Tire Kicker

OK, got the mirror off. AMH555, do you have a specific place you saw them for sale?

Thanks
Keith
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:19 PM

As Joe said you're not alone, I did it before also.

Oh by the way I have a set of those bolts floating around the garage I'll see if I can hunt them up for you.

Last edited by Eric Anderson; January 3rd, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Eric, appreciate it but looked at my replacement mirror earlier and noticed that it came with them. I got my new mirror off of E-Bay several months ago because I knew mine was cracked, but I never really looked at it that hard until today when I was looking for new bolts.
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Smile Thump thump

I know you got them off -but what I do is use a block of soft wood on the front of the mirror base and give it a couple of wacks rearward with a hammer or whatever...this works when you are at the mall (wreckers) and you stumble upon these mirrors when you weren't really looking for them!!!