General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Outer window fuzzies and rear quarter window seals

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2018, 07:18 AM

Question Outer window fuzzies and rear quarter window seals

My last post was not my best at trying to get the info I'm needing. I did my homework this time "I hope" and apologize to the moderators for taking two postings to get across what I need help with. Still trying to get the hang of starting a thread. I now have all the pictures I took better organized to help with the reassembly process. I have the areas this time better identified.

The first question is the rear vertical seals inner and outer for the rear quarter window I have not been able to find. (The area with the arrow) are these going to have to come from a donor car? Mine are completely gone. Who is making these?

The second question is (areas of the oval and square) are the outer window fuzzies. I got a set from OPGI PUI brand and they are not even close. As you see of what is left of the original fuzzy it makes the turn to cover the back section. I would like to replace these with what originally came with the car beings the B85 moldings are not made as a repop and my car did not come with them. So what company is making the outer fuzzies that matches the original fit and design?

This is a 72 Cutlass Supreme 2 door coupe. Thanks for your patience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0612181630.jpg (252.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00884.JPG (1.08 MB, 26 views)

Last edited by AJFink; June 16th, 2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old June 18th, 2018, 05:25 AM

I took this picture of an original 1972 Supreme but I can’t find them anywhere. All the aftermarket fuzzies are straight back with the rubber.
Attached Images

Last edited by Townie; June 18th, 2018 at 06:44 AM. Reason: year of car
Old June 18th, 2018, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the picture. Looks like I am going to have to make what I have work from OPGI and fill this area.
Old June 18th, 2018, 07:08 AM

Hey! I just went through this! Well, the vertical seals. I have B85 molding on my car.

I have a thread under the main Body section (not the subsections).

Short version: Outer seal is available from Fusick - OQW702. The inner is a problem. The SoffSeal 5023 is the same seal, but the clips are in the wrong place. You can make it work, but the clips are delicate so takes some creativity. You need your old seals to harvest clips and get the locations right.

For the sweep, I'd suggest calling Restoration Specialties. Their fuzzies are excellent, so if anyone makes that corner correctly it'd be them.
Old June 18th, 2018, 07:23 AM

Does the soft seal 5023 have a metal core. I found a similar from The Parts Place is this the same soft seal? I still have my originals and can transplant the clips.

I'll be calling Restoration Specialties. Hope they can get me closer to what I need.
Old June 18th, 2018, 08:13 AM

Tony, I've had this piece around for years thinking someone will need it to patch rust from the vinyl top. I think the rubber seals are bad, but if you end up needing the clips I can try to pull them without breaking them. Just let me know if you break any of yours. John

Old June 18th, 2018, 08:16 AM

Tony, I also have a couple sets of the B85 molding from Supremes. They're not perfect but if you want to consider adding them I can get photos for you. John
Old June 18th, 2018, 09:18 AM

John
Thanks for the pictures, The seals I have for the back of the window have all the clips if I need to transplant to another set of seals. Looks like I can get the inner seals from Fusick. But the outer I'm still looking for, The Parts Place may have them and these I may have to replace the clips.

Go ahead and send pictures of the B85 moldings. I may end up going that way. Just need to know exactly how they attach to the car. Beings I'm into the sheet metal and body work I can make the changes now.
Old June 18th, 2018, 04:43 PM

Hello Tony
Most of the back seat pieces are decent, the door pieces do have a lot of scratches. I think the window felts are usable. Here's some photos, let me know if you'd like to see closeups of any areas. I think I have another set somewhere but suspect they're in similar condition to these. John

Old June 18th, 2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by AJFink
John
Thanks for the pictures, The seals I have for the back of the window have all the clips if I need to transplant to another set of seals. Looks like I can get the inner seals from Fusick. But the outer I'm still looking for, The Parts Place may have them and these I may have to replace the clips.

Go ahead and send pictures of the B85 moldings. I may end up going that way. Just need to know exactly how they attach to the car. Beings I'm into the sheet metal and body work I can make the changes now.
Its been years since I removed these. But I believe its the same screws that hold on the window fuzzys that attach the fuzzy & aluminum trim. John
Old June 19th, 2018, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by AJFink
Does the soft seal 5023 have a metal core. I found a similar from The Parts Place is this the same soft seal? I still have my originals and can transplant the clips.

I'll be calling Restoration Specialties. Hope they can get me closer to what I need.

Yup, it's the exact same seal, just the clips are in the wrong place. A few vendors have the 5023 but the prices are pretty similar. Oddly, Soffseal's website doesn't mention it and won't show it for the Chevelle......... Also note that the 5023 is the inner and Fusick's seal is the outer.

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Its been years since I removed these. But I believe its the same screws that hold on the window fuzzys that attach the fuzzy & aluminum trim. John

Yup, same screws. The trim mounts to the fuzzies, the fuzzies mount to the body.
Old June 19th, 2018, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by oddball
Yup, it's the exact same seal, just the clips are in the wrong place. A few vendors have the 5023 but the prices are pretty similar. Oddly, Soffseal's website doesn't mention it and won't show it for the Chevelle......... Also note that the 5023 is the inner and Fusick's seal is the outer.

Yup, same screws. The trim mounts to the fuzzies, the fuzzies mount to the body.

FANTASTIC! You guys are great a few more pieces of the puzzle found, and a trim change to go along with it. These rear quarter vertical seals had me concerned now I can sleep at night.

I called Restoration Specialties and they have what I need in the Fuzzies/Beltline seals.