General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

"out there" parts pricing

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Oldsdruid

"out there" parts pricing

Am I the only one who thinks this is just a little bit "out there"? Especially considering the set of four screws and plastic nuts was a $1.00 item at the dealer parts counter?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-GM-Licen...76201539825680

Looks like someone is counting on the box and the bragging rights to sell these, because they are simply reboxed in GM packaging. AuVeCo made all this stuff under contract supply to GM (and Ford, and Chrysler, and every damn body else).

I'll be honest. Knowing who supplied such stuff, I'm always suspicious of it being what it's claimed to be. I also wonder how much stuff like this got spirited out in a lunchbox or coat pocket.

Opportunism at its most crass.
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Always room for one more

I'm in the wrong business

When I was a kid I worked at a Chevy dealer. Every new car came from the factory with this little pack in the glove box. However, the guy that would prep the cars and put on the dealer license plate frames would just reach into a bin he had full of screws and tabs, and the pack would remain unused. I'd take them home. I couldn't tell you how many of these -unopened- I have squirreled away somewhere. I even have some that one of the tabs is a hook, that you use to pull down the rear license plate to access the fuel filler.

If this guy gets away with selling this at a buck and a quarter, then I've just found a new funding source for my retirement.

Mike
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Randy C.

That price is incredibly ridiculous. I've stopped looking at those sort of auction ads because they are just way out of line, in my opinion. Those same items (and a multitude of other items) can also be obtained through AMK Products and the AMK catalog also contains a cross-reference to GM part numbers.

I once saw an auction ad for a "seat rod end cap" (Fusick part number 3288 for $6.50/ea) - the vender had a "sell now" price of $63 for two of them. I don't know who pays those outrageous prices, but I don't. Of course, my wife would disagree with me because she is sure I've spent way too much on my cars, anyway!

The key here, for me, is to first look around. And, ultimately, if you are short a part (especially a fastener), just ask about it somewhere on this forum and chances are someone here already has it for a price much lower than the auction ad prices!

Randy C.
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:21 AM

wow thats crazy,if someone restored a car using only parts from that guy it would cost a million bucks to finish a car.
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Oldsdruid

Notice all the keywords he uses. They're the ones guaranteed to make the stupid money appear. And we all know there are people who will buy something like this at this price, and then brag on how much they spent restoring their car. I don't understand that mentality.

I've noticed that most people who have that mentality 1) have more money than sense and 2) are mostly clueless about cars in general. They're the kind of "car guy" that an opportunist like this seller lies in wait for.
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:53 AM

You would think at that price they would include free shipping!
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Aww guys! Don't you realize that the price is steep because he has to cover his ebay fees???

and.. besides...they're NOS!! EVERYONE knows NOS is just worth more money, right??
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Always room for one more

No they ain't

Oh contrare, Allan R, they are used. Says so right at the top of the page. However, in the description he says they are in perfect NOS condition. A bit of a contradiction.

If they were in perfect NOS condition the package wouldn't be opened yet.

Mike
Old November 20th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Oh contrare, Allan R, they are used. Says so right at the top of the page. However, in the description he says they are in perfect NOS condition. A bit of a contradiction.
If they were in perfect NOS condition the package wouldn't be opened yet.
Mike
Ah, good eye there Mike.
Well, if they are opened and "near NOS" condition, the price must drop accordingly - down to a 'paltry' 100.00?

Honest to God, I don't know how some sellers can sleep nights with prices like this.
Old November 20th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Wow! I better go to the local junkyard and take all the ones I can find off the cars there so I can afford that W30 I have always wanted!
Old November 20th, 2011, 11:49 AM

Two things come to mind:

First, P.T. Barnum was right... There's a sucker born every minute.

Second, You can probably find those fasteners at any good NAPA or Ace hardware store for a few bucks.

Old November 20th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by morepwr

Wow! I better go to the local junkyard and take all the ones I can find off the cars there so I can afford that W30 I have always wanted!
The junk yard here (pic n pull) doesn't even waste time charging for a few small parts like that. BUT, when NOS or 'near NOS' just has to do, see below

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
Two things come to mind:
First, P.T. Barnum was right... There's a sucker born every minute.
Second, You can probably find those fasteners at any good NAPA or Ace hardware store for a few bucks.
X2 Also at Autozone etc
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:01 PM

honestly i just think half the people think theyre sitting on ancient artifacts and the other 15% think they are giving a fair price..... Everytime i quote a price if im unsure ill ask if the price seems fair and if not ill start digging for a more realistic price I.E. see postings for my front suspension lol
Old November 20th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
When I was a kid I worked at a Chevy dealer. Every new car came from the factory with this little pack in the glove box.
Mike

They still come with these. I couldn't tell you how many times the detail guys complained that I don't install these when I PDI a new vehicle.
Old November 20th, 2011, 03:20 PM

This sums up all that is wrong with the muscle car craze.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 04:03 PM

I know this is kinda an old post, but here's the Auveco #'s if interested. (I found this post searching for "PDI".)

Box of 50 packs, 4 screws and 4 nuts. #16670 Same as in that auction. About 60 bucks per box. That's 50 sets of 4, or 200 nuts/200 screws.

You can double that amount with #16690. Why you would want that many....unless you want to do the ebay ripoff thing.

Or you could get as many #9603 screws individually as you want from your local auto body supply store, along with the corresponding #11719 nuts. Probably 75 cents or so I'm guessing.