General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

"Other" vehicle forums from a resto-perspective

Old September 30th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Registered Loser

"Other" vehicle forums from a resto-perspective

I was wondering if there are any more "really good" forums out there like CO but for the "other makes". I found this forum to be the "best" Olds forum out there for my Oldsmobile interests... But for my other vehicular interests... which forums have the Glenn Williamsons & Joe Padavanos?

I frequent V8Buick for my Buick cars which is almost as good as CO, but is there anything else out there? I prefer full-sized Buicks esp the 71-3 Riviera & the '73-77 midsize stuff.

The Performance Years forum is okay but is there anything else out there for someone who likes/owns almost every '73 model they built (minus F & X body cars)?. Even PY site has a '69-'77 GP-dedicated section but nearly all posts are '69-'72. When you own Firebird Esprits as I do, you are buried in a sea of Bandit TransAm postings.. but I suppose that's my fault for liking Skybirds instead of Black & Gold SE T/As.

Chevys are the worst...
Where do you go when you want to learn factual/resto info for vehicles if you owned....
'77 to early 80's 2WD trucks?
'81 Shorty Cargo van (don't laugh -- VANNIN.COM sucks)
'79 Camaro non-Z28 (remember..lots of forums but very little correct info)
A '74 Chevelle Malibu Classic (not a '68-'72 or fake SS morph)
a Chevette,
and early 80's front wheel drive stuff
and a 2WD '83 S10 with stock wheels and a nice doggy 2.8 2bbl V6

How about any 70's to 80's Cadillac forums? Bueller?

I'm really into the obscure info. Forums focused on weird/off-the-wall stuff like Edsels or AMCs, full-sized Fords of the 70's, etc. or early 80's GM FWD junk are things I'd like to find.

Some sites I kind of like are stationwagon.com and Pennock's Fiero Forum. I go to the computer instead of the television when I'm not outside banging around on stuff so do you guys/gals know of any cool sites out there that would appeal to someone with the interests I've noted above?

Any really good DIY restoration forums focused on the non-billionaire car enthusiast?

Thanks in advance!
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Administrator

For Chevelles which are funny looking Oldsmobiles I go here:

http://www.chevelles.com/

They cover pretty much anything Chevy!

There are alot of sites out there, I just explore!
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by junqueboi
I was wondering if there are any more "really good" forums out there like CO but for the "other makes". I found this forum to be the "best" Olds forum out there for my Oldsmobile interests... But for my other vehicular interests... which forums have the Glenn Williamsons & Joe Padavanos?

I frequent V8Buick for my Buick cars which is almost as good as CO, but is there anything else out there? I prefer full-sized Buicks esp the 71-3 Riviera & the '73-77 midsize stuff.

The Performance Years forum is okay but is there anything else out there for someone who likes/owns almost every '73 model they built (minus F & X body cars)?. Even PY site has a '69-'77 GP-dedicated section but nearly all posts are '69-'72. When you own Firebird Esprits as I do, you are buried in a sea of Bandit TransAm postings.. but I suppose that's my fault for liking Skybirds instead of Black & Gold SE T/As.

Chevys are the worst...
Where do you go when you want to learn factual/resto info for vehicles if you owned....
'77 to early 80's 2WD trucks?
'81 Shorty Cargo van (don't laugh -- VANNIN.COM sucks)
'79 Camaro non-Z28 (remember..lots of forums but very little correct info)
A '74 Chevelle Malibu Classic (not a '68-'72 or fake SS morph)
a Chevette,
and early 80's front wheel drive stuff
and a 2WD '83 S10 with stock wheels and a nice doggy 2.8 2bbl V6

How about any 70's to 80's Cadillac forums? Bueller?

I'm really into the obscure info. Forums focused on weird/off-the-wall stuff like Edsels or AMCs, full-sized Fords of the 70's, etc. or early 80's GM FWD junk are things I'd like to find.

Some sites I kind of like are stationwagon.com and Pennock's Fiero Forum. I go to the computer instead of the television when I'm not outside banging around on stuff so do you guys/gals know of any cool sites out there that would appeal to someone with the interests I've noted above?

Any really good DIY restoration forums focused on the non-billionaire car enthusiast?

Thanks in advance!

One I frequent is www.67-72chevytrucks.com for good info like this site on anything chevy truck related.
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Totally different breed from Olds, but this Porshe 911 forum focuses on '89 & earlier air cooled cars which are surprising affordable, reliable and DIY friendly - at least until a full engine rebuild!
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...chnical-forum/
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Registered Loser

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
For Chevelles which are funny looking Oldsmobiles

I'll have to remember that one, LOL!

Thanks for the site. I may have already been there but I'll (re-)explore later. I've googled & searched a lot but sometimes I do miss the obvious.
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:25 PM

http://www.teambuick.com/

Lots of good buick info there
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by jon69olds
One I frequent is www.67-72chevytrucks.com for good info like this site on anything chevy truck related.
X2 above,

also Hotrodders.com is full of good stuff, and I am pretty sure you'll find Joe P. there also.
Old September 30th, 2011, 04:30 PM

You might as well check out the AACA Forum They have a very active Buick forum plus Joe P and Glenn W are on the Oldsmobile forum most of the time......Tedd
Old October 4th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Registered Loser

Thanks!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot about teambuick (I thought they were dead) & the AACA forums (been a long time since I was there).

I'll have to check out the Porsche site... maybe I can apply some knowledge there to my wife's Super Beetle conv'ts ('73/'79). I used to have zero interest in the silly things until after buying her the '73 (her favorite cars are "Bugs" ). After scouring the VW forums & learning about them...I'll have to say I'm quite fascinated now & would like to have one myself (non-conv't).
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Registered car nut

I'll have to check out the Porsche site... maybe I can apply some knowledge there to my wife's Super Beetle conv'ts ('73/'79). I used to have zero interest in the silly things until after buying her the '73 (her favorite cars are "Bugs" ). After scouring the VW forums & learning about them...I'll have to say I'm quite fascinated now & would like to have one myself (non-conv't).

Funny how that can happen, I lurk at a few Volvo sites since my wife has 2 and guess who gets to work on them?
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I subscribe to several forums relevant to my '87 Olds;
pointiacbonnevilleclub and gmforum seem to have a pretty wide knowledge base, I also stay subscribed to gbodyforum although I parted with my gbodies some time ago.
I am on a few others but very rarely use them as they don't seem too helpful.
The British American car forums are virtually private clubs, very little useful information and a lot of chatter from a few members.

Roger.
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:38 AM

Wish there was a good site for my 64 ranchero. Due to the allowing political and other stuff in the forum and a couple of forum hogs. Rancherousa has lost many of the guru's it once had.
Old October 4th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Randy C.

I visit www.ultimategto.com for my '70 GTO and www.ncrs.org for my '71 Corvette. Both are pretty good resources for those cars.

Randy C.
Old October 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM

I use www.professionalcarsociety.org for collectable Olds ambulances and hearses.
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:53 AM
1968 442 restoration

Great info. Thanks guys!

Chris
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Where do you go... if you owned... a Chevette...
Into therapy, I'd say .

Originally Posted by hookem horns
... '89 & earlier air cooled cars which are surprising affordable, reliable and DIY friendly - at least until a full engine rebuild!
Oh, I don't know. I rebuilt a '70 E motor in a tiny shed one winter, and it wasn't so bad. Needed a few special tools, but other than that, just the usual stuff. You develop a fine appreciation for degreeing a cam, and see what an engine that incorporates all that "hot rod stuff," like porting and intake tract matching as part of its design would look like .

- Eric
Old October 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM

I go to this little site called www.aleromod.com, o wait a second, I own 25% of that site