General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

OPGI Interiors

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2020, 10:18 AM
Smash

OPGI Interiors

Anyone ever bought any door panels or interior parts from Original Parts Group ? I’ve come into a little money and I’m thinking of biting the bullet and buying the whole stage IV package. Comes with everything from headliner to carpet. Since I’m going from white to black was wondering if there worth the money ? Look good, or look like crap China shiney plastic knock offs ? At almost 3K I want to get it right and also get it all done while I have the loot.
Old June 30th, 2020, 10:26 AM
Gary

My 2cents use Legendary Auto Interiors. They always run a really good special towards the end of the year. Both of my cars have their product.
Old June 30th, 2020, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gary's 2 442-S
My 2cents use Legendary Auto Interiors. They always run a really good special towards the end of the year. Both of my cars have their product.
X2 on Legendary. They may have a July 4th sale going on...................
Old June 30th, 2020, 11:55 AM

OPGI uses PUI. I have no complaints with the seat covers, I had no original to compare to though. See my post on my experience with PUI door panels. Legendary is more expensive and their lead time is longer but if I could do it over again I would not use PUI.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...panels-146004/
Old June 30th, 2020, 11:57 AM

OPGI makes NOTHING.

They are resellers for other companies.

Buy direct and save.

PUI is decent, but Legendary is best.

Buy once, cry once.
Old June 30th, 2020, 12:25 PM

I bought my carpet, seat covers and all 4 door panels through OPGI. My442 is right that OPGI does not make what they sell, but they do run several sales multiple times a year. I have never had any fitment issues with anything that I have bought from them either. I can't say that for any other retailer that I have dealt with. When it comes to PUI or Legendary, it's a choice thing. My car is a driver and PUI works perfectly well for that, and the seat covers went on with no problems. Legendary is better, but I couldn't justify the cost for what I needed.

If you do go with PUI, my advice for the door panels is to get the fully assembled ones with the new felts already attached and the hole perforations done on the backs. The only part of the panels that I did not like was the trim pieces that go over the door carpet. It is thinner than the originals. I wound up just using the original pieces from my old panels.

When it comes to the carpet, unless you are driving it every day, PUI is fine and the fit is great. My Olds is a convertible, so I can't give you any advice on the headliner.

You might want to also think about picking up some Dynomat for the floor to replace the old jute. If you don't want to do the whole floor, I just picked up enough for the driver and passenger floors. It really cut the radiating heat down to almost nothing.
Old June 30th, 2020, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
You might want to also think about picking up some Dynomat for the floor to replace the old jute. If you don't want to do the whole floor, I just picked up enough for the driver and passenger floors. It really cut the radiating heat down to almost nothing.
I saw you mention this in other posts as well. I used just the jute backing and really haven't noticed any excessive heat issues here in Phoenix 110+ summers or when I lived on the Texas Gulf Coast. And my car has headers. I wonder if the stuff I used was thicker than what you used so it insulates better?
Old June 30th, 2020, 12:37 PM

Do not use PUI door panels or rear panels. They're puffier than originals and the woodgrain will wrinkle up like crumpled trash bags. There are threads on here with pics, including this recent one:

Terry

Last edited by vette442; June 30th, 2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old June 30th, 2020, 12:42 PM
O'smobile

Almost done with installing my dash in the '68 so I will be installing OPG door panels and it looks like mine have felts separate so I have some work to do there. But wait. I need to make sure all the glass and stuff in there is lubed.
Old June 30th, 2020, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I saw you mention this in other posts as well. I used just the jute backing and really haven't noticed any excessive heat issues here in Phoenix 110+ summers or when I lived on the Texas Gulf Coast. And my car has headers. I wonder if the stuff I used was thicker than what you used so it insulates better?
I don't know. I know that the jute under my new carpet was the original, and cruising around in the summer my wife and I could feel the heat radiating up from the floor until I replaced it.
Old June 30th, 2020, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by vette442
Do not use PUI door panels or rear panels. They're puffier than originals and the woodgrain will wrinkle up like crumpled trash bags. There are threads on here with pics, including this recent one:

Terry
God I hope not!
My panels have only been on a few months and so far, I've had no issues. But then again, mine are only ever exposed to the sun and heat when I have the top down and cruisin'. Which is only about 30+ times a year.
Old June 30th, 2020, 12:50 PM

Oh, that may be the difference - maybe the replacement jute padding that I used was different thickness than the factory jute. I certainly don't have a heat issue like you described.
Old June 30th, 2020, 01:12 PM

I bought interior parts for a '68 El Camino. This was when they were heavily advertising "their" brand-new-to-market center consoles. Part of the advertising was that these parts were made BY OPGI, in "THEIR" factory. The company address is in California.

I ordered several items. And waited. And waited. I called them, their delivery times were always "About one month away". Month after month, they were "about one month out". Lies, more lies, deception, and still more lies.

While I'm still waiting for my parts--and being lied to about delivery dates--I actually got a postcard from them advertising the same console parts they're completely unable to provide to me.

Towards the end, I get a guy on the 'phone who admits the problem is that "their" factory is in China; and they can't meet quality goals.

The parts did show up. My console "lens" that has the auto-trans gear markings--P R N D 2 1, and which a light shines through from the back side--is scratched.

OPGI has a long and sad history with lying about back-orders. I'm not the only person who's had problems with them. **** OPGI. **** 'em to tears. **** 'em WITH the horse they rode in on.

OPGI? NEVER AGAIN.
Old June 30th, 2020, 01:20 PM

Maybe I'm blessed or something (knock on lots of wood). Of all the things that I've ordered from OPGI over the years, I've never had to wait longer than 2 weeks for delivery.