General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobile watch?

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2020, 08:11 AM

Oldsmobile watch?

Does anybody know anything about this watch? I imagine they were dealer items given to successful salesmen during the 70s?

Here's one for sale. Not mine but it should be!
Old February 25th, 2020, 11:19 AM
Running On Empty

Jesse - I'm not sure you posted the correct ebay link (URL) above; but there's a bunch of them for sale. Evidently made in Hong Kong. Possibly a salesman bonus watch or similar I guess.

https://www.ebay.com/c/1238580589
Old February 25th, 2020, 11:54 AM

While that watch has what is clearly attempting to be an Oldsmobile rocket logo, it's really not a very good one. There's been all kinds of versions of the rocket logo over the decades, but most at least shared a few things in common. This one barely does.

Here's a comparison of the logo on the watch with a rendition of the logo from the front cover of one of the 1965 Olds brochures. The rendition on the watch is so poor that I wonder if it was authorized by GM as I wouldn't have approved of it if it were up to me. Among other problems, the fins on the rocket are too large, and if that's supposed to be a smoke plume at the bottom of the one on the watch, well, you coulda fooled me.

Old February 25th, 2020, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the link Norm. I have no idea how I pasted the wrong link. At least it wasn't an Ebay link to a diesel water separator (that's been known to happen).

I agree Jaunty. The rendition of an Olds rocket is pretty poor. The watch seems to be more 70s than 60s though. I also noticed that the watch Norm linked says "Swiss Parts Assembled in Hong Kong Hong Kong..." Watches are highly counterfited, especially modern ones. I wonder which pic (the one I posted or the one Norm linked) is more historically accurate?

I posted this pic on a watch website I'm a member of this morning. I will provide a link if I get any good info.
Old February 25th, 2020, 01:30 PM
Oldsdruid

Something you'd find at a swap meet or fleamarket. Definitely not Olds factory issue. A factory sales award would have been MUCH nicer and by the 60s would have identified as "Olds Vanguard".

I had a couple watches made up with the OCA logo, probably 30 years ago. I could never get the OCA PTB to show any interest in producing it, though I had plenty of people ask where I got them. I should drop a new battery in one and see if it still works.
Old February 25th, 2020, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
a watch website I'm a member of
Hey, I would like to get some more info about this. I have some old watches that I'd like to do something with.