General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobile at Kindig Design ?

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2022, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by GN1220
Loaded68w34, who did you write your check to?🙄
No checks written for labor other than to my upholsterer for sewing new seat covers, door panels, headliners and binding my carpets. He is in his 80's semi-retired and does not install interiors any more. Only other work I did not do myself was spray the base/ clear and install the brushed metal vinyl wrap. After two major brain surgeries to remove tumors, my hands shake to bad to spray a finished paint job and the material alone for the wrap was $800 so I was not going to take a chance getting any wrinkles in it. For those who think it is easy to integrate parts that were never designed to work together, have at it. Attached are some pics of my Toro which I also did everything on except for recovering the seats (done by the same upholsterer). Everything on that car also works including the rim-blow horn which I restored myself. For those who think you have it so tuff trying to restore a cutlass because it is not as popular as a chevelle or camaro, try restoring a car that was state of the art in 1968.
These are of the car going back together.

Old February 23rd, 2022, 12:16 PM

Old February 23rd, 2022, 12:48 PM

Again, absolutely outstanding work and glad to see you appreciate old school originality as well as modern mechanicals.🙂
Old February 23rd, 2022, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by GN1220
I guess people forget that GM started using "corporate" engines in the 70's.
And those who do remember, also remember the anger from the buying public at that fiasco. Just cuz GM did it didn't mean people liked it.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 05:13 PM

Goodness, I shutter to think of the man hours (let alone the talent) invested into this restoration. I have to ask, where did you acquire the knowledge to perform this level of work throughout life's journey? I am so impressed with your ability and skill. Thanks for sharing.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 06:16 PM

And back to Kindig, I love his work but Kevin is SO F'ING ANNOYING!! The cheeky dope routine really dumbs down the show (JMO).
Old February 23rd, 2022, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
And those who do remember, also remember the anger from the buying public at that fiasco. Just cuz GM did it didn't mean people liked it.
True. But just think if Oldsmobile had embraced the Buick Turbo 6. Or the Monte Carlo. The 86-88 Montes and Cutlass are turds campared to the Turbo Regals. And could you imagine an 89 Pace Car Trans AM with a 305 or a 307? It never would've been a Pace Car. And I bet most Trans Am, GTO, G8 and CTS-V owners don't mind one bit that their cars have a Chevrolet engine.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 09:59 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by 75 W-30 H/O
And back to Kindig, I love his work but Kevin is SO F'ING ANNOYING!! The cheeky dope routine really dumbs down the show (JMO).
+1 i like to se when they work on metal , leather , paint and other things but Kevin acts like a 10 year old child.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 10:20 PM

Another point that people should remember is that however these cars are being kept on the road (restored, modified, ect) benefits us all as a car community. Whether Olds, LS, Duramax, BBC, SBC, or even electric powered, the cars are kept on the road and get younger generations interested in them. Most importantly after market companies still see value in producing parts for cars that still have followings. So while you may not like what someone else does with their car, the fact that they and others are keeping them on the road means a continued demand for reproduction and replacement parts. For your cars too.
Old February 24th, 2022, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
Another point that people should remember is that however these cars are being kept on the road (restored, modified, ect) benefits us all as a car community. Whether Olds, LS, Duramax, BBC, SBC, or even electric powered, the cars are kept on the road and get younger generations interested in them. Most importantly after market companies still see value in producing parts for cars that still have followings. So while you may not like what someone else does with their car, the fact that they and others are keeping them on the road means a continued demand for reproduction and replacement parts. For your cars too.
This is true to a point. A lot of Chevelle parts cross over, so that makes it easy. Engine swaps don't do anything, and they're Chevelle parts, too.
My problem with the LS is the bellybutton factor. At least the installs are getting cleaner. They still don't garner a second glance walking by. "Oh, look, an LS swap! I've never seen one of those" are not the thoughts crossing my mind.
It's like having a carb hat, tube, and cone air filter without a turbo or centrifugal supercharger, just because someone else has it. It looks like crap and does nothing for performance.

Last edited by fleming442; February 24th, 2022 at 02:02 AM.
Old February 26th, 2022, 04:58 AM
W30

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
So I guess by the 'old vs. new' technology argument it eventually won't matter to some of us what's under the hood. We're starting to see this now where some guys are retrofitting '60's Mustangs and Camaros with electric motor technology (i.e. 'Tesla swaps'). We may eventually see hydrogen fuel cells and God-only-knows-what next generation technologies stuffed under these hoods. It likely will happen (while the guys doing it try to convince us they're new and 'better') but not all of us have to like it.
To me, the real joy of owning these older cars is their place in history and the very fact they don't have today's technology. If you've ever owned an old truck or tractor you'll understand what I mean.
I can appreciate the talent and craftsmanship that goes into building some of these cars but, in my opinion, they also rip out their souls and turn them into shining robots.
No thanks. And those LS 'dress up kits' really are pretty silly.