General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobile Registry??

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2022, 11:10 AM

Question Oldsmobile Registry??

Is there a registry someplace that would show how many of a certain type of Oldsmobile was in existence?
Old February 1st, 2022, 12:14 PM
Running On Empty

The wording of your question is peculiar i.e. "was in existence" implies/imparts the notion that for any (previous) point in time how many Oldsmobiles were in existence on a particular date. That would be impossible to ascertain. Even if you began with the total number of Oldsmobile models produced during a given model year, you could not state how many exist at a given point in time (how many were complete losses, totaled, etc.).

So, a couple things - you can find the total number of Oldsmobile vehicles produced during a given model year e.g. A-Body, f-85, 442, Delta, Toronado, etc. If what you're asking is how many were produced, yes this information is available.
Regarding registry (of sorts). There are select members here who do maintain a registry of extremely rare Oldsmobile models (e.g. W-30, W-32, manual vs. automatic, floor console shift vs. column shift, etc.) - but that data is exceedingly rare to find.

Perhaps if you broadened your question a little others can assist in determining exactly what you're trying to achieve.
Old February 1st, 2022, 01:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Any registry is only as good as the data entered into it. You have no way of knowing how many cars still exist that are owned by people who either don't know about the registry or don't care to have their information recorded. I think people loose waaaaay too much sleep over the "one of 27" or "one of only three known to exist" BS. You can get production numbers by year and model here.
Old February 1st, 2022, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Any registry is only as good as the data entered into it. You have no way of knowing how many cars still exist that are owned by people who either don't know about the registry or don't care to have their information recorded. I think people loose waaaaay too much sleep over the "one of 27" or "one of only three known to exist" BS. You can get production numbers by year and model here.
The link doesn't work Joe 😔
Old February 1st, 2022, 04:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 72455
The link doesn't work Joe 😔
Interesting. Works for me. I'm using Firefox.

Old February 1st, 2022, 04:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Well, I tried to attach a PDF, but apparently the file is too big (nearly 8 Meg). I'll try to compress it.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 02:59 AM

The Cutlass GT was a dealer thing in NC.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 03:48 AM
Running On Empty

I can open the URL in both Firefox & Edge.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 04:02 AM

It worked for me, thank you Joe.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by tom99
Still doesn't work for me...maybe because I'm using my phone???
Old February 2nd, 2022, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The wording of your question is peculiar i.e. "was in existence" implies/imparts the notion that for any (previous) point in time how many Oldsmobiles were in existence on a particular date. That would be impossible to ascertain. Even if you began with the total number of Oldsmobile models produced during a given model year, you could not state how many exist at a given point in time (how many were complete losses, totaled, etc.).

So, a couple things - you can find the total number of Oldsmobile vehicles produced during a given model year e.g. A-Body, f-85, 442, Delta, Toronado, etc. If what you're asking is how many were produced, yes this information is available.
Regarding registry (of sorts). There are select members here who do maintain a registry of extremely rare Oldsmobile models (e.g. W-30, W-32, manual vs. automatic, floor console shift vs. column shift, etc.) - but that data is exceedingly rare to find.

Perhaps if you broadened your question a little others can assist in determining exactly what you're trying to achieve.
I think the other commenters captured what I was trying to convey. Buick has a registry of sorts but, as said in the comments, it's only as good as the information that was input. Production numbers are easily obtained so that's about the best one can do.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 05:36 AM

The link worked for me. Thanks.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 08:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 72455
Still doesn't work for me...maybe because I'm using my phone???
Probably. Do you have Acrobat on your phone?
Old February 2nd, 2022, 09:00 AM

Probably. Do you have Acrobat on your phone?
I do now😁
Old February 2nd, 2022, 10:55 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by tom99
+1 thanks Joe
Old February 2nd, 2022, 12:25 PM

Registry

I thought the W-30 registry had shut down .I would like to add my 71 W-30 if its still possible..Tony
Old February 2nd, 2022, 01:28 PM

Interesting. Works for me. I'm using Firefox.

pretty amazing. They produced over 1.2 million Cutlass hardtop S and Supremes in 1971. You really don't see that many on the road compared to the ubiquitous Mustang, Chevelle or Camaro.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 01:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Donaldbabineau
pretty amazing. They produced over 1.2 million Cutlass hardtop S and Supremes in 1971. You really don't see that many on the road compared to the ubiquitous Mustang, Chevelle or Camaro.
Better look again. That's 163,949 Cutlass, Cutlass S, Supreme, and 442 2dr hardtops and another 4,503 Cutlass S sport coupes for the 1971 model year. Total Olds A-body production was 259,692.
By comparison, in the 1971 model year there were 114,630 Camaros, 515,625 Chevelles and Monte Carlos, and 149,678 Mustangs built. To be honest, the 71-73 Mustangs and second gen Camaros are not that common at shows and cruise nights.

Old February 2nd, 2022, 05:44 PM

Better look again. That's 163,949 Cutlass, Cutlass S, Supreme, and 442 2dr hardtops and another 4,503 Cutlass S sport coupes for the 1971 model year. Total Olds A-body production was 259,692.
By comparison, in the 1971 model year there were 114,630 Camaros, 515,625 Chevelles and Monte Carlos, and 149,678 Mustangs built. To be honest, the 71-73 Mustangs and second gen Camaros are not that common at shows and cruise nights.

yup. I need reading glasses
Old February 2nd, 2022, 06:06 PM

Could someone post the link again or the actual URL so I can play too? I feel left out 😁
Old February 2nd, 2022, 08:46 PM

Here is the URL:
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe..._1956-2004.pdf

Dang, I see the whole URL, in it's entirety on the post "quick reply" edit window. Then when posted it truncates it. Maybe you can hover over it, then copy the whole URL.

Here is another version, that I did not add the "link" to.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe..._1956-2004.pdf
Well darn, that didn't make a difference. Try the Hover/Copy trick, maybe you can get it that way.

Last edited by BackInTheGame; February 2nd, 2022 at 08:49 PM.
Old February 5th, 2022, 01:18 PM

Joe, on a related question, I’ve seen production numbers by Model type numbers. What do the numbers 3100, 3200, 3500, 3600, 4200, 4400, 4800 translate to? Is there a conversion table in the CSM? Thank you.

Old February 5th, 2022, 01:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Toms cutlass
Joe, on a related question, I’ve seen production numbers by Model type numbers. What do the numbers 3100, 3200, 3500, 3600, 4200, 4400, 4800 translate to? Is there a conversion table in the CSM? Thank you.
Those are the model line numbers, and what they mean depends on the year. For 1965-71 these correspond to the second and third characters of the VIN. They are also on the cowl tag. This is all covered in Section 0 of the CSM for each model year in addition to the PIM. As an example, this chart is from the 1969 PIM. Note the "Series" column. The leading "3" means Oldsmobile. The second and third characters are the series or model line. The "00" is replaced by the body code in the VIN and on the cowl tag. "67" is convertible, "77" is Sport Coupe, "87" is Holiday Coupe, etc.

Old February 5th, 2022, 02:04 PM
Running On Empty

Those are the model line numbers, and what they mean depends on the year. For 1965-71 these correspond to the second and third characters of the VIN. They are also on the cowl tag. This is all covered in Section 0 of the CSM for each model year in addition to the PIM. As an example, this chart is from the 1969 PIM. Note the "Series" column. The leading "3" means Oldsmobile. The second and third characters are the series or model line. The "00" is replaced by the body code in the VIN and on the cowl tag. "67" is convertible, "77" is Sport Coupe, "87" is Holiday Coupe, etc.
Joe, I am familiar with the manufacturing of driveaway chassis's from the perspective a manufacturer who is in the business of manufacturing primarily and/or solely chassis's e.g. Freightliner, Thomas Bus, etc. there's most likely many manufacturers. A manufacturer builds standard chassis's or custom built chassis's then coach manufacturers employ select chassis manufactures in which to create a standard or custom vehicle - often based upon need. I think many of the truck manufacturers produce same e.g. ambulance vehicles, campers, etc. I could be incorrect about this but I think automobile manufacturers also built (designated) driveaway chassis's for export to foreign countries for final coach (body) assembly?

I noted the description of a driveaway chassis was discontinued in the 1971 model year (at least in the PIM).

Obviously a driveaway chassis is listed in the PIM then stops in 1971. Do you have any knowledge of the history of these, application, etc.?
Old February 5th, 2022, 02:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Obviously a driveaway chassis is listed in the PIM then stops in 1971. Do you have any knowledge of the history of these, application, etc.?
The driveaway chassis was used for ambulance, hearse, and limo applications. I'm not sure why it is no longer listed in the later PIMs.