General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobile at Kindig Design ?

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2022, 08:28 AM
GCH

Oldsmobile at Kindig Design ?

Hi i like to se Kindig design but have they done any Oldsmobile ? Can not remember that
I think Overhaulin , Wheeler dealers and Gas Monkey are to much drama.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 09:28 AM
Old School Olds

Only one I could find was a 91 Custom Cruiser.

Old February 22nd, 2022, 10:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Only one I could find was a 91 Custom Cruiser.
Complete with the Chevy billet grille...

While I like the show, the reality is that anything they build will be an LS-powered street rod. I don't know how they didn't put an LS in the Futureliner.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 11:54 AM

While not a Kendig car, this 66 has a lot of the same themes. I see it at OC MD every year and it is stunning. Roadster shop chassis, LSA, Baer brakes, full custom leather interior, all exterior trim chromed and or re-chromed (even the aluminum and stainless stuff).

Old February 22nd, 2022, 12:01 PM
RAG

What a way to ruin a nice '66............................each to their own I guess.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 12:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RAG
What a way to ruin a nice '66............................each to their own I guess.
I can appreciate the workmanship, but the styling is too disjointed. Late model console but original thin-rim steering wheel? Charger gas cap? The seats are very nicely done. Obviously not a fan of the LS swap.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 12:55 PM

More of the Vista Cruiser please!
Old February 22nd, 2022, 12:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by GN1220
What Vista Cruiser? Did you mean the Custom Cruiser?
Old February 22nd, 2022, 01:30 PM

Here you go:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ruiser-148770/

Personally, I love everything about that 66 even the charger gas cap and early 70's buick riviera console. The car had a 3 spoke olds sport steering wheel (80's?) when I first saw it. I can appreciate a nicely restored original which is what my Toro is and what my 66 chevelle convertible looks like, but I like modified stuff too.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
What Vista Cruiser? Did you mean the Custom Cruiser?
I was referring to the white one.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
Here you go:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ruiser-148770/

Personally, I love everything about that 66 even the charger gas cap and early 70's buick riviera console. The car had a 3 spoke olds sport steering wheel (80's?) when I first saw it. I can appreciate a nicely restored original which is what my Toro is and what my 66 chevelle convertible looks like, but I like modified stuff too.
That is absolutely incredible! The red interior and redlines really set it off. And your wiring skills are next level.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 02:47 PM
Administrator

I like the 66, outside of the gas cap I think it's a good mix of old and new tech.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 03:05 PM

That is absolutely incredible! The red interior and redlines really set it off. And your wiring skills are next level.
Thanks. I love it too. It really morphed into more than I planned, as I was originally going to leave the patina look. I am currently building a 72 holiday coupe that came with the vista. It will be a patina driver because I miss being able to drive the vista where ever when ever and not worry about it. It will be white with black stripes and look like a 71. It should be a neat match for the vista.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 04:15 PM

I can never really get into the large wheels with the rubber band tires. Looks too much like a covered wagon. The rest of the car minus the LS looks great with the exception of the thin steering wheel, it doesn't match the theme of the interior.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 05:28 PM

Thanks. I love it too. It really morphed into more than I planned, as I was originally going to leave the patina look. I am currently building a 72 holiday coupe that came with the vista. It will be a patina driver because I miss being able to drive the vista where ever when ever and not worry about it. It will be white with black stripes and look like a 71. It should be a neat match for the vista.
Did you ever consider red fender wells to continue the red theme under the hood?
Old February 22nd, 2022, 05:38 PM
Phantom Phixer

Better leave the hood closed !
Old February 22nd, 2022, 05:46 PM

I enjoy the show as well. About 7 yrs ago I was walking around outside the BJ-Scottsdale auction and this guy was shining up a car that he was selling. We ending up speaking for about 20 min or so. Then I saw the show later on and realized it was Dave Kindig. He was just as easy going and likeable as anyone you could meet.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 05:50 PM

Did you ever consider red fender wells to continue the red theme under the hood?
Considered and dismissed. I like the all black look under the hood. I also specifically went with a flat hood because I do not like the OAI hood on wagons. Painted stripes and wood grain just do not look right to me. I suppose it might look good with brushed metal vinyl stripes, but I have a Thornton hood for the holiday coupe so I am covered.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by capstoneclub
I enjoy the show as well. About 7 yrs ago I was walking around outside the BJ-Scottsdale auction and this guy was shining up a car that he was selling. We ending up speaking for about 20 min or so. Then I saw the show later on and realized it was Dave Kindig. He was just as easy going and likeable as anyone you could meet.
There are few shows that seem to truly be "reality" hotrod shows and I think this is one of them. I also think Martin Bros (Iron Resurrection) and Extensive (Texas Metal) seem to be based around real shops with real car guys. One of the biggest differences between these shows and a show like Fast n Loud is that they all had successful shops before they were on TV. I would love to see a show about roadster shop or ringbrothers as they each build incredible stuff too. Last summer, my brother and I went to Goodguys Columbus. I drove his Nova wagon out and he trailered my Vista (about an 11 hour drive). It was incredible to see cars from these shops up close. Roadster shop probably had 12 of their builds there, ringbrothers had an awesome 69 mach 1, Rad Rods by Troy and many other high end shops were there as well among the 6000 plus cars in the show. If you ever get the chance to go, I highly recommend it. It is Goodguys biggest show of the year. Unfortunately Kendig was not at the show last summer but they were there the year before. I think they had the gullwing, 63 vette, and Coronet at Columbus 2 years ago. I do like to remind the LS haters that if olds was still making a performance car in 2004 you can bet it would have been running the LS platform just like Cadillac and Pontiac. Someday I would like to add an LSA supercharger to the wagon but not sure when or if that day will ever come.

Last edited by Loaded68W34; February 22nd, 2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 06:19 PM

Considered and dismissed. I like the all black look under the hood. I also specifically went with a flat hood because I do not like the OAI hood on wagons. Painted stripes and wood grain just do not look right to me. I suppose it might look good with brushed metal vinyl stripes, but I have a Thornton hood for the holiday coupe so I am covered.
Totally understand and agree. Sometimes less is more.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 06:29 PM

All the people hating on the LS swaps crack me up. It would be one thing to take an original W30 car and LS swap it. But to take a run of the mill car and resto mod it with a modern, reliable drive train easily capable of 4-5-600 hp and actually enjoying it is somehow a problem? I guess people forget that GM started using "corporate" engines in the 70's.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 06:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

All the people hating on the LS swaps crack me up. It would be one thing to take an original W30 car and LS swap it. But to take a run of the mill car and resto mod it with a modern, reliable drive train easily capable of 4-5-600 hp and actually enjoying it is somehow a problem? I guess people forget that GM started using "corporate" engines in the 70's.
No one can argue that it's easy to make stupid HP with the LS architecture. As for "reliable", well, that's just BS. These cars were completely reliable daily drivers when new, and nothing has changed today so long as the car is maintained. The LS hating is about not being a lemming. Hot Rod used to promote Dare to be Different, before every car they featured was pro-built with an LS swap. Sorry, it's just boring. I'd rather see an early Hemi swap or an 427 side oiler than an LS. At least it would be different and interesting.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 06:49 PM

Don't forget about the fact that with an aluminum block and heads the motor is several hundred pounds lighter than even a small block olds. About 400 lbs vs 550 - 600 and even more when looking at a big block.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 06:57 PM

Hot Rod used to promote Dare to be Different,
Do you mean like when every 32 coupe had a SBC or even before that when every hot rod had a cadillac engine or buick nail head. These were not dare to be different, they were about readily available engines that were easy to get power from and that you could actually get parts for. Now, I am in no way saying that everything needs to go LS. My Toro has the original 455 and I put a 455/ muncie 4 speed in my holiday coupe because I too like the rumble of "old muscle". The chevelle has a BBC/ th 400, currently building a 67 camaro convertible with a BBC/ T56 6 speed combo. I am of the belief that if you like it do it.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 07:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Do you mean like when every 32 coupe had a SBC or even before that when every hot rod had a cadillac engine or buick nail head. These were not dare to be different, they were about readily available engines that were easy to get power from and that you could actually get parts for. Now, I am in no way saying that everything needs to go LS. My Toro has the original 455 and I put a 455/ muncie 4 speed in my holiday coupe because I too like the rumble of "old muscle". The chevelle has a BBC/ th 400, currently building a 67 camaro convertible with a BBC/ T56 6 speed combo. I am of the belief that if you like it do it.
Except that "before that" every hot rod did not have the same engine. They had Caddy motors, Nailheads, Olds Rockets, early Hemis, Y-blocks, FE motors, poly motors, flatheads, and even an occasional Stude. Go actually look at an car magazine from the late 50s or even the early 60s. They were not all the same. It was the 80s that brought row after row of identical fiberglass street rods with an SBC and a ton of billet. Also boring. Now it's the LS done up in drag. Fake distributors? Seriously? Are you so embarrassed by the LS that you have to hide it? Look, your car, do what you want. Just don't try to justify it with the "more reliable modern drivetrain" crap.

Old February 22nd, 2022, 07:58 PM
Banned

All the people hating on the LS swaps crack me up. It would be one thing to take an original W30 car and LS swap it.
Um...
It happens. Look around here.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 08:41 PM

As far as reliability. Like you say, as long as the 50+ year old mechanical parts are maintained properly, sure, they will run ok. But I guarantee, if I were to set off on a Power Tour or some other long cruise I'd feel much more confident in an LS anything. I've recently experienced first hand how old our cars are and how difficult it is to find what once were ordinary parts. Walk into any parts store and ask for Quadrajet parts, points, etc. and they are lost. If you do find someone that has a clue 9 times out of 10 they have to order the part in. As much as I hate to admit it time marches on but I also feel there is a place for new technology to keep these old cars we love out on the roads. At least nobody is stuffing batteries in a Hurst/Olds. Yet......
Old February 23rd, 2022, 06:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

As far as reliability. Like you say, as long as the 50+ year old mechanical parts are maintained properly, sure, they will run ok. But I guarantee, if I were to set off on a Power Tour or some other long cruise I'd feel much more confident in an LS anything. I've recently experienced first hand how old our cars are and how difficult it is to find what once were ordinary parts. Walk into any parts store and ask for Quadrajet parts, points, etc. and they are lost. If you do find someone that has a clue 9 times out of 10 they have to order the part in. As much as I hate to admit it time marches on but I also feel there is a place for new technology to keep these old cars we love out on the roads. At least nobody is stuffing batteries in a Hurst/Olds. Yet......

I did 2600 miles in nine days with my 62 on Power Tour 2019 and then to Lansing Homecoming. That's with a 215, E-brock carb, and point replacement conversion in the stock distributor (only because I'm too lazy to change points regularly). No drivetrain issues whatsoever. I carried spare parts, as no parts store will have anything for it in stock. I'll add that this is the most reliable vehicle I own. There's nothing on it to break. Manual steering, manual brakes, manual windows, 4-90 "air conditioning". Never overheats, always starts on the first try. Tell me again why I need a new motor with a cobbled-together swap and wiring and computer and electric high pressure EFI pump to be "reliable".
Old February 23rd, 2022, 07:10 AM

I did 2600 miles in nine days with my 62 on Power Tour 2019 and then to Lansing Homecoming. That's with a 215, E-brock carb, and point replacement conversion in the stock distributor (only because I'm too lazy to change points regularly). No drivetrain issues whatsoever. I carried spare parts, as no parts store will have anything for it in stock. I'll add that this is the most reliable vehicle I own. There's nothing on it to break. Manual steering, manual brakes, manual windows, 4-90 "air conditioning". Never overheats, always starts on the first try. Tell me again why I need a new motor with a cobbled-together swap and wiring and computer and electric high pressure EFI pump to be "reliable".
I'm not saying that YOU do but some people prefer to have the modern ability to tune with a lap top and get parts at any local parts store or even dealership. I just don't understand the hate for modern components. That said I do prefer when someone dresses an LS to look like a Big Blovk or even an Olds or Pontiac.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

That said I do prefer when someone dresses an LS to look like a Big Blovk or even an Olds or Pontiac.
Well, then, here's your LS swap kit...

Old February 23rd, 2022, 07:20 AM

It's like my 57 olds j2, and now it would be a 57 olds with an ls. The flavor and history of the 57 is known for the j2. Like joe says these cars are extremely reliable and you have to know where to source parts ,no big deal
Old February 23rd, 2022, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Look, all kidding aside, if you want an LS, just man up and say it. The "reliability" rationale is BS. Magazines and cable shows exist to feature the products of their sponsors. They aren't going to feature builds that don't use those products. If a car owner isn't capable of properly tuning and rebuilding a simple carb and points distributor, that person CERTAINLY isn't going to be capable of doing an LS swap with all with wiring and electronics and programming. How many threads here have people claimed that they "aren't good at wiring"?
Old February 23rd, 2022, 07:45 AM
Phantom Phixer

. If a car owner isn't capable of properly tuning and rebuilding a simple carb and points distributor, that person CERTAINLY isn't going to be capable of doing an LS swap with all with wiring and electronics and programming. How many threads here have people claimed that they "aren't good at wiring"?
Joe, most of the LS guys build and maintain their cars with a checkbook .
Old February 23rd, 2022, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Joe, most of the LS guys build and maintain their cars with a checkbook .
Yeah, I had a hunch.
Still, these "mechanics" today are just parts-changers who do what the computer tells them to do. They can't diagnose their way out of a paper bag, much less figure out what's wrong with an engine swap.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 08:01 AM

Look, all kidding aside, if you want an LS, just man up and say it. If a car owner isn't capable of properly tuning and rebuilding a simple carb and points distributor, that person CERTAINLY isn't going to be capable of doing an LS swap with all with wiring and electronics and programming.
I beg to differ. I guarantee most people that do LS swaps and tuning with a computer have no idea how to tune a carb because it's old technology, whether we want to admit it or not. And while I do like the glasses these are what I was referring to.

Old February 23rd, 2022, 08:10 AM

Hey Joe, how about replacing a feeble 307 with a LS? Still a bad idea? Hah hah!
Old February 23rd, 2022, 08:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

I beg to differ. I guarantee most people that do LS swaps and tuning with a computer have no idea how to tune a carb because it's old technology, whether we want to admit it or not. And while I do like the glasses these are what I was referring to.
I'm with Charlie. Most people who do LS swaps only use a checkbook. And sorry, but I'm not a fan of fake. Fake valve covers, fake distributor, fake fuel injection manifold. If your chosen engine so embarrasses you that you have to dress it up in drag, well, knock yourself out. "My LS identifies as a Ford"

https://fuelcurve.com/bowler-performance-ls-to-ford-fe/

Old February 23rd, 2022, 09:43 AM

Loaded68w34, who did you write your check to?🙄
Old February 23rd, 2022, 09:47 AM

I like the show, and watch it often, but I don't remember them doing any kind of Olds.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 11:26 AM

So I guess by the 'old vs. new' technology argument it eventually won't matter to some of us what's under the hood. We're starting to see this now where some guys are retrofitting '60's Mustangs and Camaros with electric motor technology (i.e. 'Tesla swaps'). We may eventually see hydrogen fuel cells and God-only-knows-what next generation technologies stuffed under these hoods. It likely will happen (while the guys doing it try to convince us they're new and 'better') but not all of us have to like it.
To me, the real joy of owning these older cars is their place in history and the very fact they don't have today's technology. If you've ever owned an old truck or tractor you'll understand what I mean.
I can appreciate the talent and craftsmanship that goes into building some of these cars but, in my opinion, they also rip out their souls and turn them into shining robots.
No thanks. And those LS 'dress up kits' really are pretty silly.

Quick Reply: Oldsmobile at Kindig Design ?