General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

That Old car Smell--- I really hate it -- It Stinks

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by hurstoldz
Baking powder or baking soda??? Not sure baking powder will do any for the smell...
Not sure, I have a box under the sink that I used, I'll see what it is
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Dryer sheets under the seats, and let it bake in the sun with the windows closed!
Or, just put 16 oz. of RC Nitro in a full tank - change the smell!
Much better!
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
Not sure, I have a box under the sink that I used, I'll see what it is
I think they mean 'Arm & Hammer' baking soda. It absorbs odors............
Activated charcoal is also a great smell absorber............
Old June 7th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Maybe you just stink?!
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
Maybe you just stink?!
That I do!
Old June 8th, 2012, 02:52 AM

I bought an Aurora that had a really bad cigarette smell and I bought a can of cheap ground coffee and dumped the whole can onto a large tray and let it sit in the closed car for a month and it now smells like coffe inside...
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:18 AM
New 2 Olds

Since there are mostly hard surfaces in the car, nothing really can permeate the vinyl and the carpet is new, it's probably in the seat foam or grime in the dash vents I'm guessing (maybe the headliner as well), so definitely try something like baking soda under the seat and as other suggested check for any holes or bad weatherstrip. I've heard detailing shops use something called an ozone generator that they leave in the car and that works wonders.
If by chance it is the vinyl, what I would try is go over as much as you can with whitewall cleaner/bleche-wite and a bucket of water with a cloth to clean after, works great at really cleaning all plastics. I never really like using coverups like febreze- it smells because the dirt causing whatever smell is still in the material. At least it's exhaust and not cigarette smoke that leaves a film on everything.

Last edited by at3reg98; June 8th, 2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: error
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:37 AM

http://beckart.com/wastewater_treatment/aqua-tab.php These work great. Cheap but they sell in packs of 10. There will be a chlorine smell for a day or two but then nothing. We use them in our detail dept and has worked for some real nasty smells. I did not use them in my 1963 because I love the old lady smell.
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:22 PM

Been reading this here and on ROP. Hate say it, but I believe you'll be stuck with the smell, until you replace all the absorbant materials in the car. All of the above mentioneds, are mostly coverups. The absorbants just pull the smell out of the atmosphere, not the soft materials in the car.
You just might have to replace all the seat foams, or have to sell like the urban tale of the vette for 500.00, because the owner died and decomposed in it.
Old June 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mike's88
Been reading this here and on ROP. Hate say it, but I believe you'll be stuck with the smell, until you replace all the absorbant materials in the car. All of the above mentioneds, are mostly coverups. The absorbants just pull the smell out of the atmosphere, not the soft materials in the car.
You just might have to replace all the seat foams, or have to sell like the urban tale of the vette for 500.00, because the owner died and decomposed in it.
Well the seats are perfect... the door panels are worn a bit, so I am not going rodo the interior on account of the smell. Normal old car smell is fine with me, usually does not make me reek... I have done a couple of the things mentioned and the car does seem better but for how long only God knows....
Old June 8th, 2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by B964
http://beckart.com/wastewater_treatment/aqua-tab.php These work great. Cheap but they sell in packs of 10. There will be a chlorine smell for a day or two but then nothing. We use them in our detail dept and has worked for some real nasty smells. I did not use them in my 1963 because I love the old lady smell.
This stuff is not a cover up. Not being a chemist I don't know exactly how it works but it reacts with oraganic smell creators and eliminates them. Fairly cheap thing to try before anything drastic.
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by hurstoldz
Bulldog, I wasn't being a wiseass, seriously, whole or ground?

Thanks!
Whole coffee beans, you will notice a difference in the smell in a day or so.
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:44 PM

I didn't read all the replies, but I used to smoke, and my 66 just reeked. I didn't realize it, until I quit smoking. I bought a "Better Living" air purifier off Ebay. Actually my whole garage stunk. I shouldn't have repainted and did so much cleaning. Now neighbors come and drink my beer. I bought the Better Living air purifier off Ebay. I ran it for about 3 weeks, in the garage, then painted, then after the garage was pretty darn clean, I placed it on a piece of plywood, in my car, cracked the windows and left it on low ozone/fan for quite some time. I'm going to stick it in again, shortly, as there is a car show coming. Smoke is tough to get rid of. Good luck.