General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Air compressor psi question

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2012, 03:58 AM
New 2 Olds

Air compressor psi question

I'm about to do a flush of part of my A/C system, but all I have is a 100psi max compressor in the garage. My question is, will this be sufficient to blow out the evaporator and lines? I'm just looking to get the solvent (brake clean)cleaned and dried out all the way.
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:19 AM

The compressor should be big enough psi wise but how's the CFM? Tank size?
You will certainly want a water trap and filter attached.
Also, you should consider getting some AC system flush solution from your local AC shop. I was qouted 15 bucks a gallon which is reasonable.
I have heard good and bad about using alcohol, brake cleaners, and other odd chemicals. Id rather not take chances.
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:33 AM

i would shy away from using brake clean or other chemicals also. it is also best to use Nitrogen to blow out the lines afterwards. air from your compressor will very likely have moisture and contaminants in it.
Old June 8th, 2012, 10:52 AM
New 2 Olds

I see I can get an oil/water filter for $8 on ebay, maybe I'll try that. I've heard all different things for cleaning the A/C lines, seems everyone did it one way or another. I'm just looking to get the old oil out of there so it shouldn't take much to clean them. I'll test the rubber on the outside to see if it gets weird first. If the flush comes in a spray can I'll look into it.. gallon solution I guess you would just pour into the parts?
The lines should be easy to flush completely but the evaporator, unless I remove it from the car would be the main concern as the outlet goes upwards. I'm just looking to get most the oil out- the system had a lousy r-134a conversion years ago that leaked out(big surprise) and I'm going back to R-12, cost be damned.

Last edited by at3reg98; June 8th, 2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: more info
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:02 PM

Do you happen to have a friendly neighborhood AC shop around? I paid mine 40 bucks to pressure test AND flush my condenser. Of course it was out of the car, too.
These evap cores have a good track record for leaking (as I found out the hard way) so getting it pressure checked would be a good idea before charging it with R12.

I think the gallon of stuff gets fed in through a blow gun of some sorts. Never seen it used before.
Air passed through a good water / oil / particulate filter should be fine. Whatever little moisture makes it through will be evacuated before charging.

BTW, what car is this?