General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oil Question

Ok guys. I've been reading the Best Oil For The Older Car thread this morning, and I have questions! (there's a surprise, huh!) I'm taking the prettiest one to have her oil changed tonight - going to a local Goodyear shop so I don't have to drive her to my usual guys because the road has become rougher than a cob - she has Penzoil in her now, 10W40 - I see a lot of Valvoline signs around this Goodyear - it won't matter if they put Valvoline in will it?

Should they put 10W40 back in? Also, I have a quart of the mysterious Marvel Mystery Oil given to me at one of the shows - is this something I should have them use in lieu of a quart of oil, or no? I read threads on this stuff, and have tried to research it, but still don't know a whole lot about it except some say yes, and some say no! Would it coat so there would be no metal on metal when I start her up in the spring? I'm getting confused After reading on this site, I'm not going to start her this year while she's setting like I usually do through the winter.

My appointment is at 5:15, so give me all your advice before then! I have other questions to be asked at a later time.... Thanks guys!!
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM

I have read reports showing very little differences between major oil brands, (given same type of oil (dino or synth)).
Avoid non-detergent oils, such as some of the really cheap stuff).
10-40 should be fine if garaged.
Not sure on the MMO - I never looked into it or used it. Since you have it, it should be okay to use.

Why not start her up and run her on a nicer day? Even in Ohio, a nice winter day should pop up...
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Should they put 10W40 back in? Also, I have a quart of the mysterious Marvel Mystery Oil given to me at one of the shows - is this something I should have them use in lieu of a quart of oil, or no?
I never put in anything but a good brand of 10W-30 or 10W-40 or whatever the owner's manual calls for. Put that in and your engine will be fine. I just changed the oil in my '67 Delta 88, and I put in 5 quarts of 10W-30 purchased at the local AutoZone. The car runs very happily.

I know nothing about Marvel Mystery Oil, but apparently it is an additive for gasoline, not something you put in with the oil.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM

According to the website MMO can be used in the crankcase. Scroll down a bit to see their recommendations for adding it to the crankcase.

Since you have the MMO I suggest using it. Have the local shop exchanage one quart for the MMO. Make sure you get that extra quart of oil you pay for!

BTW, I suggest using any national brand oil. 10W-30 is fine. Going from Penzoil to Valvoline won't hurt your engine.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
According to the website MMO can be used in the crankcase. Scroll down a bit to see their recommendations for adding it to the crankcase.
You're right! I missed that. I stopped reading once I saw that it was to be into the fuel tank.

So it can be used BOTH in the fuel tank and in the crankcase. Hmmm. I wonder what else it can be used for. Clean the floors? Remove spots from the upholstery? Take a swig when you're not feeling well? It's just generally good for what ails ya!
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I have read reports showing very little differences between major oil brands, (given same type of oil (dino or synth)).
Avoid non-detergent oils, such as some of the really cheap stuff).
10-40 should be fine if garaged.
Not sure on the MMO - I never looked into it or used it. Since you have it, it should be okay to use.

Why not start her up and run her on a nicer day? Even in Ohio, a nice winter day should pop up...
I would love to be able to take her out on a nice winters day before they put salt on the roads, but the garage I keep her in for the winter is in back of the house, and has no driveway! I have to drive across the yard! So I have to get her in there before the ground gets all soggy from all the rain we get in the fall, and I can't get her back out until the ground gets dry in the spring. Our yard gets very soft on that side.
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM

I would love to be able to take her out on a nice winters day before they put salt on the roads, but the garage I keep her in for the winter is in back of the house, and has no driveway! I have to drive across the yard! So I have to get her in there before the ground gets all soggy from all the rain we get in the fall, and I can't get her back out until the ground gets dry in the spring. Our yard gets very soft on that side.
I guess when i said run, I did not mean drive... I would not drive on salted roads either. Start her every month to keep her lubed and feeling non-neglected. Shift through the gears a couple times when warm...

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Hmmm. I wonder what else it can be used for. Take a swig when you're not feeling well?
Hmmm.... Might be better than moonshine...
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Registered

I've been using Valvoline exclusively for at least 1.3346 million years, never had any problems, plus it starts with V for Vista.

I've never used that Mystery oil, too many of the endangered wild Mystery are hunted just for their oil to make it.

I have heard of people abusing that stuff for the aphrodisiac effect.
Be careful, you may go out to your car and catch an Oilhead licking your dipstick.

I tasted Mystery meat when my mom would make spaghetti sauce when I was a kid. There were weird shaped and textured things in there and they sure weren't meatballs, tastes like engine.

Nice day in Ohio in the winter? Lucky if we get them in spring, summer and fall.
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I've been using Valvoline exclusively for at least 1.3346 million years, never had any problems, plus it starts with V for Vista.

I've never used that Mystery oil, too many of the endangered wild Mystery are hunted just for their oil to make it.

Be careful, you may go out to your car and catch an Oilhead licking your dipstick.

I tasted Mystery meat when my mom would make spaghetti sauce when I was a kid. There were weird shaped and textured things in there and they sure weren't meatballs, tastes like engine.

Nice day in Ohio in the winter? Lucky if we get them in spring, summer and fall.

x2 on the nice day in Ohio statement.
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Cutlass Lover

OMG - You crack me up!! Well, I think I'll skip the mystery oil - she runs too good, and I would hate to pizz her off!! I don't think she'd like having her dipstick licked... mmmm tastes like chicken... no wait, it's a mystery!!
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:15 PM

OMG - You crack me up!! Well, I think I'll skip the mystery oil - she runs too good, and I would hate to pizz her off!! I don't think she'd like having her dipstick licked... mmmm tastes like chicken... no wait, it's a mystery!!
Good move keeping the MMO out of the crankcase. I used to use it in my fuel tank back in the 70's on occassion as it was suppose to be a good top end lubricant. Whick I assume it was because you are in essence burning oil.
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:01 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I would use mmm as a pre-oil change additive, run it until hot enough to change the oil and then change it ...

There seems to be a bit of difference in oil filters also ...

I like AC Delco myself ...
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well, I ended up with Kendall 10W40... please tell me this is ok! I don't think I'll be going back to this Goodyear... I don't think they liked it much when I told them I would pull her in to the bay, and then I stood and watched them!

So do you think this Kendall is ok to have in her through the winter? I could hardly see it on the dipstick when I got home and rechecked it - very clean and clear. If you guys think its not good oil, I'll have it changed again! He told me her seals leak,which I already knew, but the oil is never down to where I have to add any. Some day I'll get them fixed, but I'm sure that is an expensive job! Any how, let me know your thoughts! Thanks guys!!
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Registered

Well, I ended up with Kendall 10W40... please tell me this is ok! I don't think I'll be going back to this Goodyear... I don't think they liked it much when I told them I would pull her in to the bay, and then I stood and watched them!

So do you think this Kendall is ok to have in her through the winter? I could hardly see it on the dipstick when I got home and rechecked it - very clean and clear. If you guys think its not good oil, I'll have it changed again! He told me her seals leak,which I already knew, but the oil is never down to where I have to add any. Some day I'll get them fixed, but I'm sure that is an expensive job! Any how, let me know your thoughts! Thanks guys!!

Boy Sandy, you're a real nitpicker, I'd never want to work for you.

I watch them like a hawk, the poor kid at the dealer got grease inside the doors jambs of my van and I had a fit. I told him not to and that I was a nut right up front too.

Kendall oil has been around since day one and I've never heard anything bad about it. It should be nearly clear on the stick or a light golden color.
If it doesn't leak that bad the seals are no big deal, she's old enough to do whatever she wants if it doesn't hurt anybody else.
"Live and let drip" is my credo.

I change my own oil.
I don't let anybody touch my old cars, tools, kids, dogs or wife...in that order.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:51 PM

Check this out.

http://www.ttalk.info/Zddp.htm
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by mugzilla
There seems to be a bit of difference in oil filters also ...
I like AC Delco myself ...
Yes there are many differences - many are getting made very cheaply.
AC Delco was a good filter up to about last year. Champion labs now make them and the quality is not too good any more.
--The NEW CRAPPY AC Delco filers can be identified by an "E" at the end of the part number on the box (stands for Ecore (Economy core)) and 8 smaller inlet holes.
Now the older better ones are still out there - I found three at Oreilly's on 10-26-10! They have the 6 holes and no "E" after the part number on the box.

From an independent study, Wix, Purolator, and Motorcraft are some of the best brands. Some store brands are made similar.
Check the link in this thread for filter choosing...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...mendation.html

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; October 27th, 2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added AC Delco filter ID info
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:30 AM

Well, I ended up with Kendall 10W40
OMG! I can't believe you let them put Kendall in your engine. I'm glad it didn't spin a bearing on the way home.
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I'm glad it didn't spin a bearing on the way home.
Very true... Of course it depends on what part of the bearing spins...
Much better than a seizure.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Cutlass Lover

Ok - you guys are scaring me now!! I read that link 442much posted - my God there is so much about oil out there. Information overload!!! Well, I don't plan on running the prettiest one much longer before storing her, and if any of her bearings spin, there's gonna be Hell to pay down at the local Goodyear!! Hell hath no fury like a woman scorn... or should that be a "bearing" scorn.... see the headline now -" Local woman goes after mechanic with tire iron"!!! I pity the fool.......
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Cutlass Lover

Boy Sandy, you're a real nitpicker, I'd never want to work for you.

I watch them like a hawk, the poor kid at the dealer got grease inside the doors jambs of my van and I had a fit. I told him not to and that I was a nut right up front too.

Kendall oil has been around since day one and I've never heard anything bad about it. It should be nearly clear on the stick or a light golden color.
If it doesn't leak that bad the seals are no big deal, she's old enough to do whatever she wants if it doesn't hurt anybody else.
"Live and let drip" is my credo.

I change my own oil.
I don't let anybody touch my old cars, tools, kids, dogs or wife...in that order.

Hey there!! You just make me laugh!!! Yes, I am a picksh** when it comes to my cars! Always have been! I was waiting for that guy last night to lean in to those new grilles... it wouldn't have been a pretty sight!

Even Larry knows not to touch my car!! LOL!! She did get lots of compliments at the shop, which made her feel good!!

So I'll be calling you when I need the oil changed!! I do pay well!! I used to crawl under my Deltas and change the oil myself. Had this old pair of coveralls, tucked my hair under a cap... what a sight! LOL!! Then I decided I was gettin too old for that and I could pay someone else to do it for me!

So, are you going to be going to Solon any more? I think it's supposed to get crappy late this afternoon/evening - I was thinking about going tonight if it stayed nice. I'd like you to see my new parts!! I was going to go to the Riverfront last night but it was after 6 when I got home.
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM

Ok - you guys are scaring me now!! I read that link 442much posted - my God there is so much about oil out there. Information overload!!! Well, I don't plan on running the prettiest one much longer before storing her, and if any of her bearings spin, there's gonna be Hell to pay down at the local Goodyear!! Hell hath no fury like a woman scorn... or should that be a "bearing" scorn.... see the headline now -" Local woman goes after mechanic with tire iron"!!! I pity the fool.......
You're sure right about the info overload on these links. A real struggle getting through them, but I think worth it for the car and piece of mind. Here's what I've gleaned so far, mostly from LN Engineering - by the way, I think Kendall 10W-40 is just fine (IMHO):

Oils with ZDDP: Brad Penn, a partial synthetic (someone mentioned on my post that Brad Penn use to be Kendall), Swepco 306 - a multi-grade; AMSOIL oil products; also some of the diesel oils that have not dropped or lowered their ZDDP properties. Castrol GTX Diesel (API: SJ rated), is one I would pick. Unfortunately, these oils are not commonplace (at least not in my neck of the woods - I must find a distribitor or do mail order - except for the Gastrol). Also, some of the diesel oils are rated for both gas and diesel engines (I think I may try one of these first (hoping the Gastrol GTX is for both - need to take another look) - just my 2 cents worth though).

Some folks in our Forum have also recommended Valvoline VR1 and Shell's Rotella T. For the VR1, there are some questionable results from an independent lab (but perhaps in fairness, more than one lab's analysis should be considered before dropping this oil from the one of the "best" list). The Rotella has gone to a lesser ZDDP level (API CJ-4PLUS) - whatever the "PLUS" means - but I have not yet found a definition for it.

Best Oil Filters: Mobile 1, K&N Gold, AMSOIL, NAPA Gold, WIX.

Best Fuel (gasolene): Shell V Power (for older cars and high performance engines).

Best Fuel Cleaners: Redline SL-1 (for carb and fuel injection systems) & they also use a lead substitute called "Lead Substitute". But be careful with the lead substitutes, as too much can cause engine wear and frequent oil changes are advised (as lead also gets into the oil).

Octane Boost: Best is already in the gas itself - a racing gas that guarantees it. TORCO makes leaded and unleaded booster. The unleaded is safe to use with catalytic converters and street use, the leaded typically used for off-road (although I may consider it for my 57 Olds).

Hope this helps. There are most likely many more "best" products out there, and as we find them, it would be good to see them listed; this is just a start for me, at any rate.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; October 7th, 2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: corrected info on Brad Penn and Swepco 306 oils
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM

I lost a flat tappet camshaft to Kendall oil when they sold the name and reduced the ZDDP in the formula. The "Green Oil" is now known as Brad Penn which I use yet today.
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
I lost a flat tappet camshaft to Kendall oil when they sold the name and reduced the ZDDP in the formula. The "Green Oil" is now known as Brad Penn which I use yet today.
This is important information - glad you shared it.

However, tell more...why do you say you lost a tappet camshaft to Kendall oil?
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth

Well if it's that machine in his signature I would say he needs all the protection he can get.

That thing takes a beating.
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Cutlass Lover

I sure don't drive the prettiest one like that!! LOL!! My nephew would say I drive like a "grandma".... maybe that's why my cars last me a long time! I do tromp on it once in a while and blow that carbon out. I don't like doing that but I was told to do it once in a while! Ugly black smoke... eeewwww..
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth

When they did the no ZDDP formula, the cam gear and the distributor gear wore each other out. There was plenty of oil on them too. The dist gear I could replace but the cam was shot. It also did some wear on the lobes and lifters. I run a roller in my current set-up. And thank you for the complements!!
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:44 PM

When they did the no ZDDP formula, the cam gear and the distributor gear wore each other out. There was plenty of oil on them too. The dist gear I could replace but the cam was shot. It also did some wear on the lobes and lifters. I run a roller in my current set-up. And thank you for the complements!!
Which Kendall oil did you use?
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM

GT-1 Race Oil............either 10-30 or 20-50. We knew because the oil went from "green" in color to a "clear" when the name was bought.
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM

GT-1 Race Oil............either 10-30 or 20-50. We knew because the oil went from "green" in color to a "clear" when the name was bought.
Kendall claims this oil meets or exceeds the requirements of API Service SM, SL. SL has higher amounts of ZDDP of which the running average is Phos = 994 (ppm) and Zinc = 1182 (ppm). (I'm assuming this is Kendall 20W-50, GT-1 High Performance that you used).

These ppm numbers for ZDDP and Kendall oil are slightly lower than I would like to see, but if I found this out just after an oil change (as with Cutlassgal), I would not be too concerned. I would simply get a ZDDP additive, such as ZDDPLUS, and add it to the oil to make up this small difference.

It's too bad what happened to your car. We are all learning as we go about these newer oils and what happened to you could happen to any of us.
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM
67 heavy metal

ha ha you related to mr T or somthing lol "I pity the fool" too muchI tell ya I don't keep up with the buying or selling of companys and names or name brands.Kendall motor oil used to be one of the best oils out there we used it in this family for years up to the late 80's eairly nintys then it got harder to come by.I rarly see quarts anymore most the time it is in delivery trucks for industry.The last time I seen a case was on a delivery truck in 04.They prefer to fill the tanks that are about the size of the ones like in home basments.I used to work for a scrap metal company the truck came once a week.
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Best Oil Filters: Mobile 1, K&N Gold, AMSOIL, NAPA Gold, WIX.

Thanx ...
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Actually that saying has been modernized to fit in today's society. "Hell hath no fury, like the lawyer of a woman scorned."
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Cutlass Lover

That's a good one!!