Oil filter Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2009, 05:12 PM

Oil filter Recommendation

Hi guys,
This may sound like a simple question, but I'm looking for input from guys with more years of experience. I tried searching the forums, but I can't figure out how to search the term "oil filter" so that the results produce the words together.

Anyhow,
I changed the oil on my 69 Cutlass convert today. It has a late model 403 in it. The filter that was on it was a Delco PF24, and for whatever reason, on my shelf I had a PF58? I'm not home so I'm not sure the exact number, but basically it threaded on, but was a smaller diameter filter.

I realize there are probably several that fit, What do you guys run/recommend?

Technical guys please chime in.
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69OldZman
Hi guys,
This may sound like a simple question, but I'm looking for input from guys with more years of experience. I tried searching the forums, but I can't figure out how to search the term "oil filter" so that the results produce the words together.

Anyhow,
I changed the oil on my 69 Cutlass convert today. It has a late model 403 in it. The filter that was on it was a Delco PF24, and for whatever reason, on my shelf I had a PF58? I'm not home so I'm not sure the exact number, but basically it threaded on, but was a smaller diameter filter.

I realize there are probably several that fit, What do you guys run/recommend?

Technical guys please chime in.
There are a whole slew of filters that have the same threads and gasket diameter. PF24, PF30, PF58, PF59, PF61. Use the largest one you can get. The PF61 is the new replacement for all the Olds/Pontiac/Buick/Caddy applications. It is much smaller than the PF24.
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:04 PM

Joe,
Just the man I was hoping would chime in! I'll take a look at that list and see what's biggest. I'm guessing they are all safe to run, but bigger gives greater filtering power. Which do you run on your olds?

Thanks!

Charlie Z
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM
BobsW32

Olds filters

For the bucks I use NAPA GOLD series good filter

Mobile 1 filter one of the best but it has been running $10 - $12
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:08 PM
GM Enthusiast

For the bucks I use NAPA GOLD series good filter
x2

I used to work in a NAPA store as well as an auto garage, Napa does make the best filters for the money.
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:19 PM

Do you use the Napa Gold listed for the application, or do you have a specific other? FIL1258?
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:54 PM

im running a k&n oil filter on my 455 and have run wix borth realy good filters
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:22 AM

I use Fram mostly. They have a few different types you can buy. I always buy my parts at Checker so whatever they have works for me. I dunno, I find it hard to spend 10+ bucks on an oil filter...my dad always told me as long as you change your oil often, you should be good to go with most any filter. Course he was kinda old school
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:04 AM

I use a Fram PH 25 on the cars with headers and PH 13 on the others because there is more room for the larger filter..
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:34 AM

Wix no questions, I believe the Napa gold are made by Wix Also. Do not use fram, just do a search on the web and you'll know why. JKaz
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:16 AM

I use AC Delco PF24 on my two stock Olds'. Due to larger size, you will need an end-grip wrench to get them off as you cannot get your hands in there well.
I quit using fram long ago when they put that black crap at the end, which turns to powder by time it is time to remove it, making it harder and messier to remove. I once heard that the AC Delcos were made better internally (crimped and not glued or something like that.) Not sure if that still stands true... I think there are only 3 actual manufacturers of oil filters, but I can't remember the details... I will dig around for that article.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; June 2nd, 2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:22 AM
Oldsdruid

I went after oil & air filters for the wagon this weekend; went to the Advance my bud manages intending to get Purolators, which have always worked well on that car. I'm leery of new production AC Delco filters and seems like the NAPA or CarQuest are never open when I can get there.

Go in, back to the filter racks and look all over. No Purolators anywhere. Barely any ACD.

What I found was a whole freaking wall full of FRAM. WTF? Pat said Advance was doing a test market in some stores (and his was one) on a changeover from Purolator. Apparently Allied Signal/Fram lined someone's pockets pretty good to get that kind of shelf space.

I gnawed on Pat and his assistant, then I went home and emailed Advance Corporate and gnawed on them too. Basically told them if a Fram was the best non-OEM filter they could offer me, I'd take my filter (and other) business elsewhere. I refuse to use a Fram filter on any engine.

At least most private label filters are made by either Purolator or WIX.

"Pay me now, or pay me later." Truth in advertising if ever was.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:39 AM

Guys,
I really appreciate everyone chiming in. I found some oil filter reviews that I thought were quite interesting. I've always been a fan of AC delco, but this review says to avoid the newer ones. Pretty good reviews of Napa/Wix as well as Purolator. Take a read...first the general impressions and like/dislike

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.../opinions.html

then the actual cutaway and review

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...html#fram-ph8a
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM

It looks like I have some homework to do before buying new filters...

I remember a review page like this years ago and AC Delco was on top. Now they seemed to have gone the cheap route and fell out.

--The NEW CRAPPY AC Delco filers can be identified by an "E" at the end of the part number (stands for Ecore (Economy core)) and 8 smaller inlet holes.
The older ones are still out there - i found three at Oreilly's on 10-26-10! The have the 6 holes and no "E" after the part number on the box.

It looks like Fram still has not improved.

At least I can still depend on Motorcraft filters for the Ford (for now)... Maybe I will find a Motorcraft sub for the GM cars!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; October 27th, 2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added AC delco ID info
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:28 AM

Good reviews...I guess I will try a Bosch next time. The K&N is a bit pricey, and I don't buy Exxon/Mobil products EVER.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:04 PM

Exclamation

Run a 1 quart filter: Baldwin B9 or Wix 1049
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by kaz442
Wix no questions, I believe the Napa gold are made by Wix Also. Do not use fram, just do a search on the web and you'll know why. JKaz
X2 on the napa gold and wix being the same thing. my dad has ran trop artic oil and the cheapest oil filter he can find at the time and has 313,000 miles on his 77 cutlass engine. after seeing this i don't worry about what brand to run. i use AC because i am to much of an originalist.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:30 PM

Roll of toilet paper in a home made cannister. If it works for me it should work for the car right
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:31 PM

Purolator L30005 or equal Holds a quart and has the proper anti drain back characteristics for the Olds engine. Fram PH13 does not by the way have a anti drainback valve. Purolator makes Wix, Napa, and many other filters Wix 51049 is the same 9-11gpm flow.

Last edited by Wireman134; June 2nd, 2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: update post
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM

Bosch, NAPA Gold, WIX are all good
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Roll of toilet paper in a home made cannister. If it works for me it should work for the car right
As long as it is not the "rapidly decomposing" stuff they sell for camping. That stuff decomposes before it has even finished its intended job!
Just remember to take the cardboard roller out first.

Metal 2lb coffee cans work well for a super capacity filter shell, and they make good fart-pipes for the ricers...
Recycling at its finest...
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:47 AM

I just put in the Fram Tough Guard in my Custom Cruiser...the review site said the TG's were ok out of all the Fram's...they said to avoid the other models.