371 oil recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2006, 04:09 PM

371 oil recommendation?

I am not sure where the 371 fits category wise, as there is no "original rocket series" to post under. So I am posting here.
Read in another forum that 371 camshaft failures are occuring due mainly to the lack of phosphorous and zinc in todays oils. These two minerals apparently damage catalytic converters somehow, and are no longer major components of modern SL rated oil. It was suggested to use Shell Rotella T diesel oil which still retains these additives.
I know that from the get-go, camshaft failures could happen if the oil wasn't changed very frequently with this engine.
Since I am the owner of one these engines, I would like any input on this. Like if there are replacement camshafts available with a different hardened metalic compound, or the experience of others along this line.
Thanks again.
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Past Administrator

Hi, I went over to Realoldspower.com and did a search. I was looking for a post someone made who was a chemical engineer and made some comments about engine oils. Sadly I couldn't find that but I found this http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...il/index1.html
This is just food for thought. About the camshafts, I believe that you could find a cam ground to your specs for your engine. Perhaps snooping around at R.O.P. will produce some results. Those guys over there are all about olds power, hence the site name. Good luck.
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:28 PM

That article hit it on the nose. Thanks Oldsguy.
Needless to say I will be using that breakin solution by GM in all my oil changes. No cat converter worry here.
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Past Administrator

I don't use that break-in at oil changes, only when I change cams or valve train components. I am sure it wouldn't hurt at all though. It is a definite must after changing components or a rebuild though.
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Interesting in that Pontiac lube article, that the Pontiacs are also suffering camshaft/drivetrain wear and failure. And the pre LS1 Chevy SB's have always had soft camshafts. Camshaft changes were common even for Gramps who never exceed 35 mph on these Chevys.
Yea I am a member of ROP. I believe it was there that someone mentioned that the 371 was only good for a boat anchor - and this whole camshaft thing started. Well my boat anchor sure makes a nice burbling rumble thru the dual exhaust. A sound only Olds can make. Luv it.
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Rotella T diesel oil was suggested as an alternative so I contacted them.
I wish I could insert the email msg but apparently that is not possible.
Anyway, in a nutshell, Shell said both Rotella T 15W-40 and Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 have high amounts of zinc and phospherous designed for the HD diesels and should do great in our applications. It is rated gasoline SH which is pre-cat converter standard and diesel CH. Also this oil has an extra high TBN rating in order to keep diesels clean for 25,000 miles. It should have no problem keeping the Olds clean and lubricated.
Oh by the way, I wasn't signed up at ROP. Tried to log on - havan't joined yet. Just had it in my favorites to view. Member now.