General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

371 oil valley plugs

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2008, 07:58 PM

371 oil valley plugs

oil volumn to drivers side oil valley but no resistence to force oil up to lifters and rocker assemblies on a 371 block. Suspect machins shop failed to install oil valley plug or plugs. Where are the plugs located and how do you get to them. any help is appreciated - papadoc
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM

If I can understand what you are asking - this is it..In order for the rocker arms to get oil, the cam has to be spinning to force up the oil. I learned this out the hard way..Spin the oil pump drive IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION, and have someone turn the crank with a socket and ratchet and you'll eventually get the oil up to the rocker assembly
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
If I can understand what you are asking - this is it..In order for the rocker arms to get oil, the cam has to be spinning to force up the oil. I learned this out the hard way..Spin the oil pump drive IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION, and have someone turn the crank with a socket and ratchet and you'll eventually get the oil up to the rocker assembly
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the comeback - I've spun the pump drive and turned the engine over at the same time. A minimal amt of oil (a metered squirt from cam rotation) comes through but the problem seems to be no back pressure in the oil valley which probably indicates a rear valley plug is missing therefore oil is being dumped back into the pan. In order to supply oil to the lifters on the drivers bank and to the rocker assemblies back pressure is necessary. A new oil pump failed to resolve the problem and there are blockages. My question is where and how to you get to the oil plugs in the rear of the 371 engine without having to pull the engine. If I could find a engine schematic somewhere this would help but fifty year old info is hard to come by. Any answers or suggestions would be appreciated - papadoc
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:48 PM

On numerous '59 blocks I have done there should be 2 oil plugs in the front of the engine, one on each side where the cam is located - looking directly at the front of the engine, the left oil plug is just a plug, and the right plug is also a plug, but with a tiny hole to spit oil onto the timing chain and cam gear. Maybe you are missing these plugs? What year exactly 371 are you working on? I can check it out for you in one of the manuals I have
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:04 PM

1957 371 - the front plugs are ok - it appears to be the rear plug or plugs on the driver side galley - thanks - papadoc
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM

I had missing oil galley plugs on my 59....enough oil pressure to turn off the idiot light and no oil to the rockers.....I believe there are 2 at the rear of the engine....I believe if you pull the distributor you will see if they are there with a light and possibly an inspection mirror. You may want to put a gauge on the sysyem and read oil pressure. i believe I had like 4psi.
Old April 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the comeback - I believe I've found the problem by discussing the problem with an old time mechanic. On the driver side rear oil galley there are two plugs. One is an outer press-in type on the the rear block area and the other is a inner 3/8 inch pipe plug with a spit hole to lube the distributor/cam gear. If the inner plug is not re-installed during re-assembly the oil runs throught the galley and dumps back into the pan. No back pressure is had to lube the lifters on the drivers side mainly and also not enough pressure to force oil up to the rockers. To check this out pull the distributor and insert an old revamped distributor shaft, spin the oil pump with a drill while looking down with a lite to the rear cam gear and if a large volumn of oil is being dispersed then the rear inner plug is missing. If the plug is there only a minimal amount is dispersed thru the spit hole. I checked this out yesterday and sure nuff no rear inner plug apparent thus no back pressure for proper lubrication. Unfortunately the only way to get to the inner plug is to pull the engine, remove the outer plug to get to the inner plug and install a inner plug with a spit hole drilled in the center. Needless to say me and a machine shop will have strong words very shortly. I appreciated all parties for their help in trying to resolve this problem and at least we all now know a simple way to check this out. I'll have the engine out come evening. Thanks again - papadoc