General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

No more gas vehicles after 2035

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2022, 01:42 PM

I like Tesla. Going to sell my new Model Y. Right after it's delivered. For $12,000+ profit. Ordered in April, before two price increases. Wish I ordered a few. Maybe I will get lucky and there be another price increase before delivery. Many can not wait the months to get one, if ordered today. . Ford just raised electric F-150 by up to $8,500. And it can not even tow, anything far. Sitting it out for the their trucks, that I ordered two.

Old September 1st, 2022, 01:45 PM

New carrottech fuel
Old September 2nd, 2022, 07:22 AM

My question to all this is, where is all the copper, lithium and rare earth metals to make millions of batteries for cars world wide coming from? Strip mining and lithium processing are environmental disasters. Environmentalists and the NIMBY people will fight against any additional mining or lithium processing in this country. So we rely on our friend China or other countries with no care for their environment? We still loose our energy independence. Recycling the current batteries is almost nonexistent. Hopefully in 10 yrs it will a be much better process but how much energy will that consume and what kind of pollution will that make. We are still going to need pump petroleum too. These vehicles will need alot of plastic to save weight. Not much plastic today is recycled or is a type that can be recycled.
Old September 2nd, 2022, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by blakes7
How would you survive in Phoenix, AZ without air conditioning? People are used to these comforts, adapting like the people of yesteryear did will not be easy.
Once upon a time I lived in Ajo,Az where summer temps hit 118* the majority of people used swamp coolers. The humidity being so low allowed them to work well.
Of course I don't see anyone who has AC changing back.
Old September 2nd, 2022, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bfg
Hopefully California will break off and drift into the ocean soon!
I recently sold a lot in AZ I had for over 35 years got tired of waiting for CA to take the big plunge!
Old September 8th, 2022, 05:25 AM

View this post on Instagram
Old September 8th, 2022, 09:00 AM

Perfect !

Electric vehicle's may perform amazingly. But they are absolutely soulless.
Old September 8th, 2022, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
You are so right about that. A couple of stories:

A coworker who enjoys camping told me he was teaching his young uns how to boil water over a fire. They were amazed that water could be boiled without a microwave oven.

My Mom and I were discussing her youth and when hurricanes blew in there wasn't really any electricity to go out, so no real change in their daily lives. They had one light bulb hanging from a wire in the kitchen. Now days people think they will die if the electricity goes out.

My senior year of high school we had a huge ice storm. We didn’t have power for almost 2 weeks. We cooked a lot of dinners on a kerosene heater.
Old September 9th, 2022, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
My senior year of high school we had a huge ice storm. We didn’t have power for almost 2 weeks. We cooked a lot of dinners on a kerosene heater.
I live in the woods. We're one of the last roads to get plowed and one of the first to lose power. The woodstove comes in handy, and is a great place to cook with no power.
Old September 9th, 2022, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by 69CSHC

Perfect !

Electric vehicle's may perform amazingly. But they are absolutely soulless.
Well my Model Y came early. Picking up my soulless car today . With any other car I ever owned, I going to have fun with it. I thinking of starting a thread about the good and bad. About my EV. But really have no time to argue the pro and cons. Most here have already made up their minds. Just a reminder of my daily driver! She is F++king Beautiful in a heavy brooklyn Italian accent. Most work performed by me.

From a great american poet!

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'

Old September 9th, 2022, 07:57 AM

The new law California passed is: No New vehicle can be sold that is not electric.
Only applies to new vehicles, not used.
Old September 9th, 2022, 09:02 AM
Lance

Interesting article on some facts about EVs that most are not aware of.

https://www.justfactsdaily.com/elect...ssion-vehicles

'As explained by the Environmental Protection Agency,'

"the estimation of the cumulative environmental impacts resulting from all stages in the product life cycle, often including impacts not considered in more traditional analyses (e.g., raw material extraction, material transportation, ultimate product disposal, etc.). By including the impacts throughout the product life cycle, LCA provides a comprehensive view of the environmental aspects of the product or process and a more accurate picture of the true environmental trade-offs in product and process selection."

"LCAs are
subject to multiple levels of uncertainty, but an assessment published by the Journal of Cleaner Production in 2021 shatters the notion that electric cars are cleaner than conventional ones, much less “zero emission.” The LCA found that manufacturing, charging, operating, and disposing of electric vehicles produces more of every major category of pollutants than conventional cars. This includes:

an increase in fine particulate matter formation (26%), human carcinogenic (20%) and non-carcinogenic toxicity (61%), terrestrial ecotoxicity (31%), freshwater ecotoxicity (39%), and marine ecotoxicity (41%) relative to petrol vehicles."

"Foreshadowing that result, a 2018 report by the
European Environment Agency warned that studies on the “human toxicity impacts” of electric vehicles were “limited” and that electric cars “could be responsible for greater negative impacts” than conventional cars."

Old September 9th, 2022, 02:04 PM

https://www.justfactsdaily.com/elect...ssion-vehicles Is a right wing nut job group! I am sure there a left wing nut job group, saying the opposite!

European Environment AgencyAppears legit.

A few times government rules, force innovation. Space race, we got Tang and Velcro! Not true. But it did build todays technology!

Starting a new thread. Hope some of you do not go all Bat Sh-t Crazy! Design work has been none stop. No time anymore to fight about it.

Picked up the Model Y Long Range. Built in Austin, TX. USA. 10,400+ to be built there. Fit and finish are excellent, inside and out. Horrible plastic smell, like the new Avalon and Camry. Ordered the 20'' wheels to speed up delivery date. Ride is a little harder. But as good as the 85 Cadillacs I had. Going to work out getting the 19'' wheels. Road noise is minimal are 75 MPH. New 2019 Avalon and 2022 Camry, you almost have to yell at 75 MPH. To be heard. My Olds, I drive with earplugs on the highway. No charger plug, gave me a $200 credit to buy one. Superchargers on South Padre Island 11 miles away. One group of chargers are next to a good restaurant. Will let you know the charge times.

A/C ice cold at 60 degrees. 96 in Brownsville today. Roomy in every way, I am a big guy. Heated seats, but no cooling. Toyota's both had heating and cooling.seats A bit of a learning curve to use touch screen for almost everything. But if my old lady can learn it. Anyone can. I do plan on driving the whole east coast with this car in the spring. If not sooner.

Old September 9th, 2022, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by RocketDevo
The new law California passed is: No New vehicle can be sold that is not electric.
Only applies to new vehicles, not used.
Not true. No new gasoline-powered vehicles. There is a difference.
Old September 9th, 2022, 06:10 PM

When it comes down to it, I think there are far less people against EV than it looks on the surface. The larger issue that people have are the government involvement in them. I have nothing against them at all but I have to laugh at the people that think they are saving the planet with them.
Old September 9th, 2022, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i have to laugh at the people that think they are saving the planet with them.
x2
Old September 10th, 2022, 01:02 PM
Oldsdruid

Legislation was filed in Virginia this week to undo the 2021 law that required the Commonwealth to adopt and live by CARB standards.

I asked my legislators then WTF a state on the East Coast should be subjected to the whims of an unelected bureaucracy on the opposite side of the country.

Some of you have said you wouldn't miss California if it tumbled into the sea. There's times I wish the Northern Virginia counties surrounding DC would secede from the Commonwealth and merge with DC, or that DC would get their statehood with the condition they be forced to annex those counties- which have little to nothing in common with the rest of Virginia but dictate policy for the entire state. NoVA (Northern Virginia) vs RoVA (rest of Virginia).
Old September 10th, 2022, 05:42 PM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...pm-act-166897/
Old September 10th, 2022, 07:24 PM

After reading this entire thread... some thoughts..
The dumbing down of America is real, don't believe everything you read on the inner webs..
"Weather" is NOT "Climate".
Some people are very misinformed.
Ever wonder what the temp of the earths core is?
Everyone has an opinion. It just may not be based in fact.
I am also not a believer in EV's, yet. The technology still needs improvement.
My Oldsmobile's average about 16 mpg. Fine by me.

Old September 10th, 2022, 08:53 PM
Administrator

I doubt I will own an EV in my lifetime.
Old September 10th, 2022, 09:05 PM

my Yamaha WR250R 250 cc dual sport street legal bike gets 70 miles to the gallon
that my come in handy when the globalist raise the price of gas to $10 or $20 a gallon +- to eliminate cars
Old September 10th, 2022, 09:11 PM

This whole greeen deal is about control. Proof positive is the fact that DA Ca gov. wants to limit fossil fuels all the while his people are burning up. Meh.
Old September 11th, 2022, 10:41 AM

Here's a short Youtube on how the 2022 US EPA now being limited to dictate laws - it has now returned to congress.

Of the Earth's 29,000 coal fired power plants, 1500 emit 75% of earth's airborne carbon. Those 1500 are what me need to address. In North America, renewables only represent about 18% +- of the energy (depending on source). We have nothing to replace oil and gas.

Old September 11th, 2022, 10:55 AM

Legislators should be formulating laws, not administrative agencies. That is the function of legistlative bodies.
My contribution is limited to the roles of legislators vs administrative agencies, not the merits of the underlying issue.
Old September 11th, 2022, 11:09 AM

earnings per share

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
Legislators should be formulating laws, not administrative agencies. That is the function of legistlative bodies.
My contribution is limited to the roles of legislators vs administrative agencies, not the merits of the underlying issue.
Legislators are controlled by large corporations. That will influence the legislators and public opinion for their own benefit. Corporations bottom line is putting money into their pockets and shareholders. Most care less about polluting and their workforce.
Old September 11th, 2022, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Legislators are controlled by large corporations. That will influence the legislators and public opinion for their own benefit. Corporations bottom line is putting money into their pockets and shareholders. Most care less about polluting and their workforce.
I don't necessarily disagree. Influence is a separate but related issue.
Old September 11th, 2022, 11:22 AM

Legislators are controlled by large corporations. (GIVEN)

So Are Politicians and the Judges they appoint

TERM LIMITS & AGE LIMITS (of politicians & judges) will slow the the Congressional Racketeering

Remember WE - "me & you" own the USA - NOT the Govt or Corps ! -

What did Citizens United do? The ruling effectively freed labor unions, trust funds, and corporations to spend UNLIMITED money on electioneering communications and to directly advocate for the election or defeat of candidates.

Some 1400 DC Lobbyist are not representing WE THE INDIVIDUAL VOTER
Old September 11th, 2022, 11:25 AM

Like lawyers, 1400 lobbyist at the bottom of the ocean is a good start!
Old September 11th, 2022, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You are correct. People that think this is a ban on all ICE vehicles apparently need to practice their reading comprehension.
I think it’s cute you think they won’t go that far 😁
Old September 11th, 2022, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
I think it’s cute you think they won’t go that far 😁
One day, but not in yours or my lifetime.
Old September 11th, 2022, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKET VAPOR
Interesting article on some facts about EVs that most are not aware of.

https://www.justfactsdaily.com/elect...ssion-vehicles

'As explained by the Environmental Protection Agency,'

"the estimation of the cumulative environmental impacts resulting from all stages in the product life cycle, often including impacts not considered in more traditional analyses (e.g., raw material extraction, material transportation, ultimate product disposal, etc.). By including the impacts throughout the product life cycle, LCA provides a comprehensive view of the environmental aspects of the product or process and a more accurate picture of the true environmental trade-offs in product and process selection."

"LCAs are
subject to multiple levels of uncertainty, but an assessment published by the Journal of Cleaner Production in 2021 shatters the notion that electric cars are cleaner than conventional ones, much less “zero emission.” The LCA found that manufacturing, charging, operating, and disposing of electric vehicles produces more of every major category of pollutants than conventional cars. This includes:

an increase in fine particulate matter formation (26%), human carcinogenic (20%) and non-carcinogenic toxicity (61%), terrestrial ecotoxicity (31%), freshwater ecotoxicity (39%), and marine ecotoxicity (41%) relative to petrol vehicles."

"Foreshadowing that result, a 2018 report by the
European Environment Agency warned that studies on the “human toxicity impacts” of electric vehicles were “limited” and that electric cars “could be responsible for greater negative impacts” than conventional cars."
but it’s mostly happening on the other side of the world,, and that air over there, never comes over here. Out of sight, out of mind…that’s the thinking
Old September 11th, 2022, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
One day, but not in yours or my lifetime.
its also cute you trust them to NOT do that in our lifetime. Are you 85 right now?
Old September 11th, 2022, 12:08 PM

I’m shocked this hasn’t been locked or had a warning yet.

this wasn’t even debatable on here before because it hovered to close to ,, well ya know, the P word
Old September 11th, 2022, 12:14 PM

its also cute you trust them to NOT do that in our lifetime. Are you 85 right now?
I got your cute, right here! Your BS started the death of " How much is gas by you!" Thread. Gas here by the way is $2.89.
Old September 11th, 2022, 12:15 PM

this wasn’t even debatable on here before because it hovered to close to ,, well ya know, the P word
That's the problem. It's never been debatable.
Old September 11th, 2022, 01:49 PM
Bfg

If we wait awhile, we can harness the fuel source the aliens are using to spy on us, I’m sure it’s much more advanced than gasoline or batteries, or maybe it’s good ole horse dung converted to their energy source
Old September 11th, 2022, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
You don't think we have enough laws, now? Legislators should be purging the outdated, unnecessary stuff.
Old September 11th, 2022, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by fleming442
You don't think we have enough laws, now? Legislators should be purging the outdated, unnecessary stuff.
It is much easier for congress to delegate its legislative powers to a plethora of unaccountable agencies under the executive, that make up their own rules as they go. The same happens on a state level.
Old September 11th, 2022, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by fleming442
You would be taking litigation work away for lawyers. They do not want than.
Old September 11th, 2022, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by bw1339
That's the problem. It's never been debatable.
yep..you would think a gear head board solely devoted to internal combustion powered cars would allow fighting back on this topic.

i hope they allow it to continue and wake people up.

Quick Reply: No more gas vehicles after 2035