General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need machine shop recommendations in Spring, TX or thereabouts

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2011, 05:09 PM

Need machine shop recommendations in Spring, TX or thereabouts

Hi all,

Well, I have some compression issues in the engine of my car, I'm going to be re-doing the test, but I have documentation that about 11 years ago a Snap kV test and compression test were done on the engine, and no compression was found on cylinder 6. After speaking with a buddy of mine who ran a shop for about 25 years, but lives a long distance away, the heads probably need to come off because of a valve issue - possibly but hopefully not a broken valve. I'm hoping I don't find a hole in the piston or something like that. Anyway, once I pull the heads, I want to get them in to a shop and have them done immediately depending on the circumstances. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a Spring or Houston area machine shop?
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by ChefDeadpool
Hi all,

Well, I have some compression issues in the engine of my car, I'm going to be re-doing the test, but I have documentation that about 11 years ago a Snap kV test and compression test were done on the engine, and no compression was found on cylinder 6. After speaking with a buddy of mine who ran a shop for about 25 years, but lives a long distance away, the heads probably need to come off because of a valve issue - possibly but hopefully not a broken valve. I'm hoping I don't find a hole in the piston or something like that. Anyway, once I pull the heads, I want to get them in to a shop and have them done immediately depending on the circumstances. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a Spring or Houston area machine shop?
I have used Westside Machine in Houston. They do Great work
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Gary

Try these guys, they are near downtown and they will even come and pick your engine or head up from your house. My neighbor used them to rebuilt his Corvette engine and he just purchase a Z28 with a 454 and they rebuilt that one also. He is pleased

http://scrogginsmachine.com/
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:07 AM

I ended up taking the Cutlass to Scroggins, very nice people there and quick turnaround on my heads. I still have carburetor/timing problems to work out, to see the extent of the improvments, but there is now no miss from the #6 cylinder as there was before, and all the leaks are gone.
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by ChefDeadpool
I ended up taking the Cutlass to Scroggins, very nice people there and quick turnaround on my heads. I still have carburetor/timing problems to work out, to see the extent of the improvments, but there is now no miss from the #6 cylinder as there was before, and all the leaks are gone.
Very good. I also ended up using them to completely rebuild my engine. It had been rebuilt by the previous owner and Scroggins acknowledge that. That engine before they came and picked it up gave me the blues. There was all kind of things wrong with it and after I got it back what a big difference. Night and day. I can actually start the engine without even pumping the accerator. They did a great job and I would recommend them to anyone

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; August 29th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.