General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need help with mystery Olds. 1973-1974?

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2023, 07:21 PM

Need help with mystery Olds. 1973-1974?

Hello all. I've been a car guy for over 50 years. Never so much an Olds guy, but familiar with collectables. I just came across this Olds in my town, and it left me stumped.
My first thoughts were.. "Oh hell no"... but I've seen stranger things. My gut says ask everyone, and find out before passing. Appears to be an 88 model convertable. But blue with pink stripe and accents. Even the seats have the pink accent in the center. The body stripes appear to be W31 style. But who in their right mind would purposely go blue with pink? Were they just sick and demented (lol) or is there possible history here? I'm currently out of town until monday, so this is as close as I can get to it at this time. Someone went through a lot of trouble and expense to restore the car this far. That tells me there is a possible reason besides being colorblind. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old July 6th, 2023, 07:40 PM

I make that to be a 75 Delta 88 Convertible.
Old July 6th, 2023, 08:03 PM
Administrator

And someone made it that way.
Old July 6th, 2023, 08:04 PM

Can you make out if the wheels are correct? I know, not much of a view.
Thanks
Old July 6th, 2023, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
And someone made it that way.
Super thanks for that. BTW, my son lives in Poteau. The first car I got him was a 69 Cutlass.
Old July 6th, 2023, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jarden66
Can you make out if the wheels are correct? I know, not much of a view.
Thanks
Those wheels are very incorrect.
Old July 6th, 2023, 08:58 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If we could get a better look at the wheels, it might give us an indication as to why the car was done that way. Somebody sure wasted a lot of money.

Last edited by redoldsman; July 8th, 2023 at 08:32 AM.
Old July 7th, 2023, 04:27 AM

Awesome Oldsmobile. While it looks like it's been parked awhile, at least it's not in the salvage yard.👍

In the 80s those wild paint schemes were popular. All you have to do is look at the cover of a car magazine that's 35 years old. It's also in vouge to do paint like that on a high-riser/glass house/donk.

There's a gent at the local Cars and Coffee that drives a "high-riser" 67 Pontiac Bonneville. It isn't painted in wild colors like that, it's just OE black. The wheels are easily 20"+ knock offs though. I've wanted to ask him if there's a local shop that measured the wheel fitment for him because those wheels fit behind his fender skirts.

Last edited by Olds64; July 7th, 2023 at 04:33 AM.
Old July 7th, 2023, 05:36 AM

Somebody was in the process of making that a "Donk" style car. "Hooptie" style wheels..

Definitely not original.

Old July 7th, 2023, 05:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

If you are asking "is this some rare factory package?", the answer is no. The VIN will tell you exactly what model and year it is.
Old July 7th, 2023, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I make that to be a 75 Delta 88 Convertible.
I agree with Koda. The front side markers and the slight peak between the headlights seem to point to 1975.
​​​​​​
Old July 8th, 2023, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Those wheels are very incorrect.
lol
Yeah..... lol With my reading glasses on, they're definately 20 or 22's lol
Old July 8th, 2023, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If you are asking "is this some rare factory package?", the answer is no. The VIN will tell you exactly what model and year it is.
Vin is not available at this time. It's an estate auction. Can only look inside and not enter.
Old July 8th, 2023, 08:24 AM

Well hells bells. I know it's subjective, but what are collective thoughts on possible value?
It appears to be mostly complete but needing top done and bumpers/grille mounted. Can I get everyones opinion on value...
running?
Not running?
Thanks
Old July 8th, 2023, 08:33 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Without knowing more about the car we will all be guessing. So I am going to guess about $1,200.
Old July 8th, 2023, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Without knowing more about the car we will all be guessing. So I am going to guess about $1,200.
This^^^^^^^^, not knowing whether it runs or not. It is not a collectable car nor will it be sought after in it's current configuration.
Old July 8th, 2023, 10:50 AM

Well hells bells. I know it's subjective, but what are collective thoughts on possible value?
It appears to be mostly complete but needing top done and bumpers/grille mounted. Can I get everyones opinion on value...
running?
Not running?
Thanks
How much do you want to make when you "flip" it ?
Old July 8th, 2023, 10:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

running?
Not running?
Thanks
From the limited info and photos you've posted, value is somewhere between a million bucks and scrap value. More info and better photos will get you a more useful answer.
Old July 8th, 2023, 11:57 AM

running?
Not running?
Thanks
Let me put it to you this way, there's an all original 72 88 with 16k miles that is the definition of unmolested for sale for 8 grand, and I'm only interested if he comes down 33%.

A non-running, half donked, 88 from a less desirable year is worth 10% of that. This is one of those see if the engine is good, pull it, and scrap the rest cars.
Old July 8th, 2023, 01:51 PM

x3

If you have to get the top redone that won't be cheap. It would also be worthwhile to find out if the suspension was modified when the wheels were installed.
Old July 8th, 2023, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
This^^^^^^^^, not knowing whether it runs or not. It is not a collectable car nor will it be sought after in it's current configuration.
Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Amen to All of these comments. Read them and hear what they are saying.
Old July 8th, 2023, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Im not greedy. Would rather have it go to someone that would put it back. Also depends on how long Ild have to hold it. I would have to pay for storage. Not much driveway here in Florida.I'm reasonable and negotiable
Old July 8th, 2023, 05:43 PM

I've spent the last few years here finishing up a few restorations. 56 Caddy Barritz, 59 Mercedes SL190, 69 Chevelle SS, 61 Vette, and a 57 Tbird. I had a custom body shop up north west of Chicago. We just normally dont have the body and paint on a crappy or non runner. Mechanicals are always first. Im not going to be biased and say its not a collectable, because any ragtop 40+ years old qualifies. There are even people that collect Yugo's (Five I think...lol). I've seen more odd non traditional classics restored in the past few years, simply because the Camaro's and Mustangs, Firebirds and Trans Ams are either too pricey, or gone altogether, and some people just want a nice looking old cruiser for weekend spiffs. I'll see what I can find out more this week. The people handling the estate havent been overly cooperative.
Old July 9th, 2023, 05:22 AM
Past Administrator

I just did a quick search for "1973 Oldsmobile 88 convertible for sale" and came up with a range of 9,000 to 21,000. Probably reflects condition of course but they all looked presentable in the photos. I don't know what it would cost you to do a body work and paint job but if the car is decent and driveable there's your general goal to flip it. Being a convertible probably would mean it wouldn't take too long to sell.