General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Nationwide shortage of edelbrock 2711

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2019, 10:22 AM
Oldscarnut

Angry Nationwide shortage of edelbrock 2711

So I have spent all the time I can and have found no other way but to wait for EDELBROCK to restock all of the businesses that sell their 2711 intake. What I noted is that except for shipping charges (some do and some don't charge for shipping), EDELBROCK has a price fixing arrangement going. You cannot buy a new 2711 manifold anywhere from anyone at a price less than EDELBROCK sells on their own site. Believe me I tried them all, and just as I was finishing my engine, they have a back order and increase in price. Do you like my luck? The second thing is that no one actually stocks the manifold, they simply pass it on to EDELBROCK to drop ship. Believe me, seeing that, if there were ANY other options for an intake I would take it. I knew Vic personally, and I do not think this is the way he would run his business. Price-fixing is only good for EDELBROCK, and now there is no one around who can sell me a 2711 and I will have to wait until mid-June to finish my engine. Pissed off does not even begin to describe it! It alters my entire plan for getting the car on the road and visiting some swap meets and car shows through summer. I live in WA state so the good months of car shows and driving are few. Driving it in the rain is not an option. Sigh. I even won 2 different auctions on EBAY only to have the sellers let me know that he can't send it until mid-June. Summit, Jegs, Amazon, all the same stories. How did warehouses and companies all end up with zero stock?

Last edited by Chuck Cole; May 25th, 2019 at 09:48 AM. Reason: wordsmith
Old May 22nd, 2019, 10:53 AM

That's a bummer you've had no luck locating an intake. Have you considered buying a used one? If it's in good shape that would be a way to save some money. Personally, I like to order from Jegs because they have a veteran's discount.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 11:14 AM
same but different

I'd be ticked off too. I wonder what if some other circumstances are in play here? Because, that doesn't sound like a good business model.

Hope you can find one, maybe someone here on the site would have a new one and part with it?
Old May 22nd, 2019, 11:24 AM
Oldscarnut

I am a veteran but have not seen a discount from Jegs.... HMMMM Jegs is where I am holding with the backorder so maybe I will check it further. All new parts for mine; valves, springs, lifters, cam, pistons, intake and exhaust manifolds, carb because the engine I bought was a 2 bbl, no exhaust, and low compression pistons. It now has W-31 parts. It is only 3 weeks but I actually thought I would have it running by Monday.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 11:27 AM
Oldscarnut

It made me wonder if there is suddenly a glut of Oldsmo-maniacs building small blocks I mean when no one anywhere has them, is there a worldwide shortage of 2711? Can we start the bidding at ohhh say $400?

1]350-2711 is currently on backorder and has an estimated ship date of 6/7/2019.

We do have an alternative part(s) in stock and ready to ship! Please see the link(s) below to view the part(s) on
JEGS.com

Last edited by Chuck Cole; May 22nd, 2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: forgot
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:53 PM

What we have is called ....Just In Time Manufacturing. No inventory. I'll bet half or more of the vendors on Ebay are "drop shippers" with ZERO inventory. Edelbrock is the only manufacturer of Edelbrock products, and they determine the cost.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 02:24 PM

Have you considered the 3711 with the EGR blockoff plate? That's what everyone (myself included) used for ages prior to the introduction of the 2711.

For that matter, since you say your engine "now has W-31 parts", you should be looking at the 7111 Performer RPM.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 04:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

"I know Vic personally, and I do not think this is the way he would run his business."

Vic Edelbrock, Jr. died in June 2017 at the age of 80.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:31 PM

They have 10 of them. $50 cheaper if you go through Amazon

http://www.hangar916.com/Edelbrock/P...-Manifold/2711
Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:15 PM

Price fixing in the indiustry started, if I recall correctly, somewhere between 1995-1998, and the first was was Mr. Gasket with all the companies they owned at the time (lakewood, hayes, accell etc...) They set up what was called MAP (minimum advertised pricing) program. When this happened Summit was totally against it and publicly chastised them in their catalog for "price fixing"... Mr. Gasket cut off Summit, and Summit started buying the Mr. Gasket stuff from other distributors and just sustituting the product for other brands they were selling. The Mr. Gasket MAP program died a swift death, but the seed had been planted. Now 25 years later Summit and Jegs embrace MAP pricing, and they have the Manufacturers police it like hawks. Between 2000-2010 you could buy almost every brand name in the book on eBay for less than was sold by Summit or Jegs, the product was sold by hundreds of small distrubutors, this obviously put a dent in their business, and here came the embrace of the MAP pricing. A supreme court decision legalizing it did not help either... All of these small eBay sellers where either forced to raise their prices to the Summit/Jegs price or they were cut off from the product. The manufacturers even started compiling lists of MAP violators, and they would pass them amonst themselves and the big wholesalers so that no one would sell to these "violators". There is literally no competition anymore in the industry, everyone has a MAP price and you either adhere or you get cut off from the product... And if you get cut off from 1 product you may end up loosing your business if you fall on the manufacturers "do not sell list" that they all keep. So comply of die. Hence now everyone pays 10%-30% more for product. In reality the manufacturers do not make any more money than they used to, the only real winners here were the big mail order guys...
Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 72442conv
Price fixing in the indiustry started, if I recall correctly, somewhere between 1995-1998, and the first was was Mr. Gasket with all the companies they owned at the time (lakewood, hayes, accell etc...) They set up what was called MAP (minimum advertised pricing) program. When this happened Summit was totally against it and publicly chastised them in their catalog for "price fixing"... Mr. Gasket cut off Summit, and Summit started buying the Mr. Gasket stuff from other distributors and just sustituting the product for other brands they were selling. The Mr. Gasket MAP program died a swift death, but the seed had been planted. Now 25 years later Summit and Jegs embrace MAP pricing, and they have the Manufacturers police it like hawks. Between 2000-2010 you could buy almost every brand name in the book on eBay for less than was sold by Summit or Jegs, by hundreds of small distrubutors, this obviously put a dent in their business, and here came the embrace of the MAP pricing. A supreme court decision legalizing it did not help either... All of these small eBay sellers where either forced to raise their prices to the Summit/Jegs price or they were cut off from the product. The manufacturers even started compiling lists of MAP violators, and they would pass them amonst themselves and the big wholesalers so that no one would sell to these "violators". There is literally no competition anymore in the industry, everyone has a MAP price and you either adhere or you get cut off from the product... And if you get cut off from 1 product you may end up loosing your business if you fall on the manufacturers "do not sell list" that they all keep. So comply of die. Hence now everyone pays 10%-30% more for product. In reality the manufacturers do not make any more money than they used to, the only real winners here were the big mail order guys...

This is true I just got this response the other day from JEGS for a price match:

"Thank you for choosing JEGS!

Our price match program requires that we are able to validate the requested price either by viewing it on the competitors website or by contacting the competitor by phone. Our price match policy is for the price of the parts only and does not include taxes. We match brand name for brand name and part number for part number on new and unused items. We do not match close-out items or wholesale-only warehouse distributors. Other exclusions may apply and can be found HERE.

The pricing as listed is $18.95 with FREE freight. However we are unable to match this pricing as RestoParts is a MAP vendor. This means that they set the Minimum Advertised Price for which their items can be sold. Matching that pricing would violate our sellers agreement with them. JEGS reserves the right to determine price eligibility on any order.

Since this is a PayPal order that does not verify we have cancelled the order."
Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:31 PM

Worst part about this is that now Jegs will contact the manufaturer and have the manufacturer contact whoever it was that was not adhering to MAP to either force them to raise their price, or cut them off from the product. If that seller refuses to comply he may end up on the manufacturer "do not sell list" and he may end up really screwed...
Old May 23rd, 2019, 06:17 AM

Yeah, that pricing arrangement is now the norm across the industry. Not surprising, really. The manufacturers do it in their interest to maintain value in the products as well as prevent their distributors figuring out the supply chain discounts.

Olds parts won't be JIT manufactured. I doubt many things that require casting are managed in a JIT fashion. Casting is a PITA and the line has to get reved up, so JITing that would cause massive fail rates.

Small market parts get done in batches. You just so happen to hit the market right as the prior batch ran out but the next batch hasn't shipped. The 2711 has always been a small run part anyway.

Now, for something more useful, most of the Edelbrock intakes have required additional machining after you get them. Edelbrock doesn't run the finishing line correctly on our junk.

If you're in a bind then post a parts wanted. Plenty of Performer RPMs (I have two!) floating around and 3711's. There's almost no reason to use a 2711 over an RPM. The only useful reason to stick with a 2711 is having some bizarre height requirement (or installing on a toro)
Old May 25th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Oldscarnut

Originally Posted by redoldsman
"I knew Vic personally, and I do not think this is the way he would run his business."

Vic Edelbrock, Jr. died in June 2017 at the age of 80.
Yep knew

Last edited by Chuck Cole; May 25th, 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old May 25th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Oldscarnut

I decided to stick with new and Jegs since they already had the order and my money. I tried through Amazon, Ebay, Summit, Edelbrock, and even some privateers including Canada, but the shipping was over the top on those. By the time I cancel and get the money spendable again, we'd be in June anyway. Thanks to those with constructive thoughts, and some who choose to wordsmith and to the sarcasm. The one thing I went with is the 2711 over the 7111 not for clearance reasons but because I did not build a 6000+ rpm engine. Almost anyone who was watching my build and the parts I used told me I would not be happy with a 7111 with an automatic, my cam, and the CR. I opted for torque vice rpm horsepower. My Olds guru drag races his 67, and the list of parts I was short to warrant a 7111 was pretty lengthy. I wanted a cruiser not a hotrod, or street racer. I am 67 for the love of God!
Old May 25th, 2019, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Cole
Almost anyone who was watching my build and the parts I used told me I would not be happy with a 7111 with an automatic, my cam, and the CR.
I have no idea what your build is, but I can say that on my 350 the Performer RPM worked very well with an automatic trans, a mild 217 cam, and ~9:1 compression ratio. I formerly had a Performer 350 on the engine and the Performer RPM gave a noticeable increase in power. I had documented the swap results over on OldsPower.com but unfortunately all of that information was lost many years ago.

If you have been reading any of cutlassefi's posts, he has recommended the Performer RPM for most any build that is not 100% factory. A 6000 RPM screamer is not a pre-requisite for the RPM.

Last edited by Fun71; May 25th, 2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old May 25th, 2019, 03:51 PM
Oldscarnut

Good to know. We'll see how it works. If not enough Horses it can be replaced. Thanks!