General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Name these cars!

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:44 PM

Name these cars!

So im a construction worker by trade. I do horizontal boring and tunneling to be specific. My company got a job in this industriak area out in the middle of nowhere. Im setting up my crane and decide to climb this dirt mound at the back of our jobsite to get a better peek at some overhead power lines im concerned about. I turn around and low and behold! Theres a treasure trove of classic cars sitting right in front of me! Not all classics mind you, but alot of cool ones. Which ones would you guys like to own? I like the old square body bronco, the blue and white nomad, and the continental (black with red leather interior). I.D. some of em! Help me out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140130_090248.jpg (87.6 KB, 227 views)
20140130_090313.jpg (74.9 KB, 207 views)
20140130_090335.jpg (80.1 KB, 204 views)
20140130_090308.jpg (85.9 KB, 192 views)
20140130_090211.jpg (93.1 KB, 189 views)
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:16 PM
Administrator

There are some great cars there. Is there an auto shop in the complex?
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:17 PM

In picture #1 I see a Lincoln Continental and an early-1950s Buick. There's another one, a two-door hardtop, that I can't figure out but it reminds me of a mid-1950s Mercury.

In picture #2, it looks like a mid-1950s Merc or Lincoln, a 1965-66 Mustang, a 1960-ish Jaguar "saloon," and a 1971-73 Mustang coupe along with a bunch of pickups. Oh, and a 1956 Chevy wagon.

In pic #3, I see a 1962 New Yorker and a Boattail Riv.

In pic #4, there's a 1967 Mustang, a '66 Chevy, a '63 Ford, a '55-56 Chevy, a '63 or so Comet, and a pair of 1968-69 Chevelles.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:25 PM

Great eye Diego! I've been up on that hill more than on the job. Lol. Funny thing oldcutlass its just a storage yard I think. The cars are completely surrounded by old metal shipping containers. I can just imagine all the parts in those containers. One of my laborers saw one open and said it was full of engine blocks and transmissions. And there was a couple barrels full of connecting rods. Im trying to find out who the owner is.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:37 PM

pic #4 is a 69 Electra white in front of the black chevy truck, also a red and white Volvo 445 or Duett as they were called in Sweden ( over by the RV), El camino 68-71, 65 cad conv, 66 Caprice, a 57 pontiac with something green behing it...
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:16 PM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

On #3 there's a VW T2 and a T3 bus
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:48 PM

69 buick 225, 67-8 must notch ,66 caprice, 68-9 chevelle, 63 galaxie ,early 70s dodge van ,73-80 chevy pu, 57 buick, 64-66 must notch, 68-72 chevy surburban 69-70 amc ambassador, 66-77 bronco, 61-63 chevy pu ,early to mid 60s linc continental, 65 chevelle, 48-48 ford pu, late 50s buick, 56 chevy wagon, 2 late 60s caddys ,74 impala.They have intact tarps on them so the oner-s are trying to keep the rain out of them.I see cal tags on them so they're probably good parts or projects.
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:10 AM

Wow , thats awesome .
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:04 AM

Gold, early seventies Riviera in front of the VW bus in pics #3?
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:53 AM

i still dont understand how someone could ever do this. just let a car sit that has probably had 50 offers on it over the years. i drive by one of these places every day on the way to work ( garbage hill colorado springs). ive heard he wont sell a rusty bolt laying in the dirt. it just doesnt make sense to me let someone atleast use the parts before mother nature takes them back

rant over sorry
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 69 holiday
i still dont understand how someone could ever do this. just let a car sit that has probably had 50 offers on it over the years. i drive by one of these places every day on the way to work ( garbage hill colorado springs). ive heard he wont sell a rusty bolt laying in the dirt. it just doesnt make sense to me let someone atleast use the parts before mother nature takes them back

rant over sorry
In a way its an investment thats better than money in the bank. Sooner or later the cars will have new owners.

Henry
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by 66400
In a way its an investment thats better than money in the bank. Sooner or later the cars will have new owners.

Henry
The place i drive by everyday basically all the cars are donors now. not enough there to restore. i understand the investment but after a short period of time your profit line turns south in a hurry. let someone enjoy these cars before it turns to junk. the first 442 i ever saw sat with a tarp on it for 3 years. i knocked on hundreds of doors trying to find the owner he was a ghost. the first day i saw it, it looked like the factory was behind the parking lot it sat in. perfect car but had the front clip missing. after sitting in the north florida swimming pool for 3 years paint was flaking. top was ruined and im sure its even worse now. i know how poeple get with age but do something with it...... as you can tell my anger is coming out about my dream car. the dreams of a 17 year old. man what i would have done with her.
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:58 AM

The place i drive by everyday basically all the cars are donors now. not enough there to restore. i understand the investment but after a short period of time your profit line turns south in a hurry. let someone enjoy these cars before it turns to junk. the first 442 i ever saw sat with a tarp on it for 3 years. i knocked on hundreds of doors trying to find the owner he was a ghost. the first day i saw it, it looked like the factory was behind the parking lot it sat in. perfect car but had the front clip missing. after sitting in the north florida swimming pool for 3 years paint was flaking. top was ruined and im sure its even worse now. i know how poeple get with age but do something with it...... as you can tell my anger is coming out about my dream car. the dreams of a 17 year old. man what i would have done with her.

What you will find lots of these idled cars were gathered for pocket change years ago and even in their poor condition often one part will be worth much more the initial purchase.

On a personal note back in the mid '70's I had gathered over 150 Corvairs the vast majority for 50 dollars or less. At the time they were just about worthless 8 to 15 year old cars. I over the years I've sold some complete units, parting out other ones and crush some of them. If I did not "save" many of these cars most of them would had been scraped 40 years ago but here they are still useful for parts.

Henry
Old February 4th, 2014, 09:42 AM

Looks like a Regal T-Type and an Eldorado convert on either side of the silver Suburban.
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 66400
What you will find lots of these idled cars were gathered for pocket change years ago and even in their poor condition often one part will be worth much more the initial purchase.

On a personal note back in the mid '70's I had gathered over 150 Corvairs the vast majority for 50 dollars or less. At the time they were just about worthless 8 to 15 year old cars. I over the years I've sold some complete units, parting out other ones and crush some of them. If I did not "save" many of these cars most of them would had been scraped 40 years ago but here they are still useful for parts.

Henry
thats one of the awesome things, but ive seen alot of lots that just wont sell anything and then it rots. the question is do you have a 69 holiday coupe with good quarters just laying around in colorado
Old February 4th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

86 turbo Daytona (white) 75 shorty dodge van please (red) Wayyyy cool

2nd pic is that a rolls under the tarp with the front end hanging out?

Last edited by barnfind; February 4th, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old February 4th, 2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ryneves
.... the blue and white nomad, ....
Not a Nomad....just a regular '56 wagon... & there's a another '55-'56 wagon across the way next to the silver Land Rover & in front of the '66 Caprice-'63 Galaxie-'?? El Camino..

Man...You guys out west have it made. Cars that old in an outdoor yard in the midwest would just be a rust colored stain on the ground...!
Old February 4th, 2014, 02:27 PM

66 chevy caprice coupe in that last picture...
Old February 4th, 2014, 02:47 PM

I drive past a place probably once a week that has some cool old iron in the yard. Couple of Studebaker Silver Hawks, couple old flatbed trucks, stuff like that. I hear it is the same as your hoarder, won't even talk about selling. So they sit in the dirt and deteriorate. A guy I worked with over in Phoenix area has a Cosworth Vega that was in pretty nice shape when he parked it. It is so sun-beaten nowdays that it is only worth the price of scrap metal but because the Cosworth group calls him every so often and asks him if it has ever been raced, he still thinks it is worth collector value! I have high hopes for my Cutlass and hope I can fulfill them but it isn't just sitting in the elements falling apart. Someone already did that for me!
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
I drive past a place probably once a week that has some cool old iron in the yard. Couple of Studebaker Silver Hawks, couple old flatbed trucks, stuff like that. I hear it is the same as your hoarder, won't even talk about selling. So they sit in the dirt and deteriorate. A guy I worked with over in Phoenix area has a Cosworth Vega that was in pretty nice shape when he parked it. It is so sun-beaten nowdays that it is only worth the price of scrap metal but because the Cosworth group calls him every so often and asks him if it has ever been raced, he still thinks it is worth collector value! I have high hopes for my Cutlass and hope I can fulfill them but it isn't just sitting in the elements falling apart. Someone already did that for me!
and that is the worst part. i hope one day when i have a kid old enough to enjoy these cars he still can. i would rather my child drive a real car than a hybrid that is less safe than a go cart. the one i drive by is probably 3 lots that total 20 or 30 acres of classics. there probably isnt one car younger than early 1980's. i have yet to spot a challenger or something worth stupid money (for no reason) just to ask the guy what he wants for it.
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:37 AM
REO

Some cool cars out there. It's about time vans like that orange one start getting popular again. Out of the 50 people that do make offers, probably only 5 are making realistic serious offers if even that many. The exception being the more highly collected cars, but good luck on someone taking a realistic price on their 442 or Hemi Cuda that needs everything after they see the price of one on Barret Jackson. My family yard probably had over 50 cars at one point. Stuff can sit for years reasonably priced with plenty of tire kickers, lowballers, and no-shows. My dad had about 15 Corvairs at one point and even after dropping the price down towards scrap they still didn't go to a good home. Most were scrapped and are most likely now Chinese appliances.
Old February 9th, 2014, 03:25 PM

The tv auctions are probably part of it too. A lot of the old timers want to much for a car that will have to be towed off. If your going to scrap it sell it to someone for the same price of $50 more. To many damn junk appliances as it is.