General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

My latest flea market find

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2023, 09:15 AM

My latest flea market find

My wife loves blow molds. Our house resembles Clark Griwold from the Christmas vacation movies, and not just at Christmas.

I prefer it when they don’t work, I use that as a bargaining chip. I can usually replace the bulb and sockets with much better components than they had originally pretty cheaply.

We bought some vintage RV style blow mold outdoor light strands, paid a grand total of 7 bucks for them. Once I cleaned all the sockets and dead bugs from the housings, I got them all working. Keeping them lite up is proving challenging.

The power cord closely resembles a light duty 2 conductor extension cord. The sockets have prongs that pierce the insulation, and are riveted together. I don’t see a way to disassemble the sockets that won’t destroy them.

The problem is the sockets where the pins pierce the insulation, the connection leaves much to be desired. Just giggling the wires will make the light comes on and off.

My question: does anyone in readerland know of a vender that sells E12 bulb sockets (typical nightlight type bulbs) that can be installed on normal lamp cord? I have found premade light strands with 3 sockets. I need 2 strand of 7 sockets.

These sockets would need to be weather resistant, and no pigtail wires.

Thanks.

The fish lights.

The smiley face blow mold lights.

This is the type of bulb these lights use.
Old October 29th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Maybe I am missing something but it seems like you could use a short strand of Christmas lights. I thin they are C7 lights.
Old October 29th, 2023, 12:08 PM

^^^THIS^^^

I was also thinking you could use Christmas lights. Do they still make the incandescent light strands? Sam's Club has already put up their Christmas stuff.

Last edited by Olds64; October 30th, 2023 at 05:54 AM.
Old October 29th, 2023, 06:47 PM

The Christmas lights was also my first idea. I’m not finding any of the old school type bulbs strands in the stores to see how well that would work.

My only concern with using Christmas lights is how close the bulbs would be. The RV light strand are about 11 feet overall, that puts each bulb about 18 inches apart. Pretty sure Christmas light bulbs would be much closer than that.
Old October 30th, 2023, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
^^^THIS^^^

I was also thinking you could use Christmas lights. Do they still make the incandescent light strands? Sam's Club has already put up their Christmas stuff.
They absolutely do and I think they are the C9 style. Most come in 25 foot sections and you could simply remove every other socket to get the spread that you want. The sockets are just crimped onto the wire so just pop them off.