General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

modifications vs strictly stock

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2010, 05:48 AM

modifications vs strictly stock

ok so I got busted on my air cleaner decals (thanks Jaunty) so I decided to come clean with all of the little "personalizations" that I have made to my car(s)

I have always prided myself on originality, but truth be known, I have made some enhancements. All for the good of course.

Toronado should be:

Toronado is:

Starting with all 3, I eliminated the VIR system in the A/C, going with a cycling clutch instead.

The VIR design sucked IMO and I now get 38 degrees at the vents in all 3 cars (I live in South Florida and drive one of them every day - mostly the wagon)

The Toronado original owner had replaced 11 A/C compressors over the years, and I did 2 in the 1st year. After the VIR eliminator, no more problems (valve would stick, blowing out front seal of compressor, or stick the other way, not cold air - over all of that nonsense)

I also (had) wired closed the recirc door. On my vintage, the only way to get recirc is on MAX fan, not always needed (and tends to blow the high blower fuse under the hood in line to the high blower relay - I have changed the fuse to a breaker in the wagon, the 88 already had it, the Toronado is next

Also on all 3, installed FM modulator to listen to satellite radio / MP3 player etc. through factory FM. Each car has it's own individual quirks (noises) but all in all very pleased. The 88 also got an amp in the trunk so I can hear music on the highway with the top down. Works well.

The 88 had a CD changer in the trunk when I got her, also through FM, installed in '83 for $900 (receipt was in glove box) I left it and actually use it - it sounds great - added a cargo net too

I have changed all 3 air cleaner decals to ROCKET type

I have added a hood ornament to the wagon (the 88 had one when I got her - not right but I like it - need it in fact to aim down the lane )

I added a 455 emblem to the wagon's grill

In all 3 I (had) installed extra lighters under the dash for cell phone chargers, etc

The wagon got 77 vintage wire wheel covers
old:

new:

Oh yeah the mirror on the 88 was in need of replacement (dreaded sideways wobble) so I put one of those fancy auto-dimming compass/temp/map light ones on and I love it

that's all I can think of at the moment

anyone else do stuff?

I am still looking for a place to install these any ideas???

Old April 29th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Cutlass Lover

Your cars are all very beautiful! I think you have to personalize them somewhat. They have to have some of the owner in 'em! I'd still like to put those cool rocket decals I have somewhere on The Prettiest One... just cause I like them! I just don't know where to put them.
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:12 AM

thanks Sandy I appreciate that especially coming from you - you have set the bar quite high what with your staff and all
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Jeffrey, I really admire what you have done with all your cars and especially appreciate that they are not the typical A body styles that I generally prefer. I would take those marker lights and try to incorporate them into possibly interior lights or perhaps trunk lights. Just a thought!
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Cutlass Lover

Jeffrey.... You are funny!!
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Past Administrator

That's it!!!!I have had it up to here with people that change things around, how could you????

Just kidding, of course. I think those rocket fender markers are way cool but like you, not sure where they would fit. Nice cars.
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Jeffery,

Geeze Louise

You've already altered the A body side marker lights.

They're spose to have a thin red strip at the bottom of the rocket like flame shooting out.
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:27 AM

well A body marker lights would go with my Grand Prix steering wheel I forgot to mention that - remembered on the way home for lunch

Old April 29th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Les I love yours too I have a special place in my heart for 67 Cutlasses

it happened in a 67